Gliders! Defensive Final Fire help needed....

MikeSon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m looking for some assistance with the Glider rules – particularly the Defensive Final fire rules (ie, after the glider has landed but before exiting in the AFPh. Any glider pilots lurking out there that can help? (sorry for the long post)

E8.3 tells us that any unit eligible for final fire can attack the Glider on the vehicle kill number line on the IFT. But what are the effects of that attack, particularly if you miss?

The Annual96 article “Flight School” says that is the Glider is eliminated (less than vehicle kill number) all passengers make a crew survival DR with cs# of 7. Then it says that an attack can damage the glider if the DR equals the vehicle kill number (which, under the damage rules, means the occupants undergo casualty reduction and are broken). But if the attack ‘misses’ then the Passengers (ie, the occupants) are still affected by a NMC or PTC result. I think this comes from E8.3’s reference to A.7308 and the affect of fire on trucks or unarmored vehicles.

Carl Nogueira’s article on Gliders in DFTB 48 (part of his excellent Tactical Tips series – thanks Carl!) agrees that if the glider is eliminated, the passengers roll for cs; if the glider is damaged, it suffers damage as per the glider damage rules. But Mr. Nogueira says that if the attack ‘misses’ the glider, the contents are unharmed – regardless of whether a NMC or PTC would occur. (He terms a glider a “truck with a difference,” a catchy term). The basis for this is, I believe, E8.4, which points out that when the troops come out of the glider during the AFPh, that is the first time they are placed onboard and at this point assume their own morale, etc.

So:
1) If my attack on a glider as Defensive Final Fire ‘misses’ the glider (ie, DR higher than vehicle kill number), do I resolve it as a NMC or PTC if I get that result on the IFT (per Annual96), or do I ignore the results (per Mr. Nogueira)? (Or am I utterly off base?)

2) not really a question but a commentary – the ‘eliminated’ result on Final Fire doesn’t make sense: if I pass the cs roll my troops come out ok, but if I ‘damage’ the glider then I get a casualty reduction, with the troops broken. I’d rather damage the glider than eliminate it! I guess the rationale is that there is a risk of KIA'ing the squad if it is eliminated. My view is that while the troops are in the glider the results should be consistent – eliminated means all gone (with no cs), damaged means CR, miss means miss. But I’m no expert, and I can see the rationale that while in the air an eliminated means you're in really bad shape, as opposed to getting hit on the ground (slightly less bad shape).

Any help appreciated, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays. My glider days harken back to “Rehearsal for Crete” from COD and have recently been rekindled thanks to the HOB/Kreta folks and the Bunker crew for their glider scenarios (the Op. Varsity scenarios are a lot of fun).

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree with Carl. The passengers are not attacked separately until after the AFPh on the turn that they land.

8.21 DEFENSIVE FIRST FIRE: Once all gliders are placed in their ILH, the DEFENDER may attack them with Light AA fire as per 7.5-511 as each attempts to land, except as modified below. If the Final IFT DR equals the ★ Vehicle Kill Number, the glider has been Damaged, is marked with a Wound counter, and must take Evasive Action (8.211) after all Light AA fire vs it in its present hex is resolved. Attacks are not resolved vs the Passengers (including all SW/Guns/Vehicles aboard) separately (see 8.4). A Final IFT DR one > the ★ Vehicle Kill Number forces the glider to take Evasive Action.

If the glider is destroyed, the passengers roll separately for survival. Some might make it and some might not. If the glider is damaged, the passengers survive unless casualty reduced and are only broken if they fail a NMC. Clearly it is better for the glider to be damaged than destroyed for life insurance purposes.

D6.9 SURVIVAL: The effects of Crew Survival (5.6) also apply to any Passenger/Rider of a vehicle destroyed by other than CC or burning. Each unit makes an individual DR to determine its own fate. A Rider who must check for Survival does not have to Bail Out. The Shock/Stun DRM applicable to inherent crews does not apply to Passengers but, if they happen to be broken, a +1 DRM applies to the Survival DR of those Passengers. SW not possessed by Surviving PRC are eliminated.

Last edited:

MikeSon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Doug! Much appreciated, since I always manage to roll just over the kill number! Now to spend the holidays with the Fallschirmjager Graveyard scenario!
Mike

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do not have the DFTB article, but do have the Ann96, so I think I'll have to agree with Curt.

Not to quibble over the point, but the 8.21 Defensive First Fire quoted above only applies while in the air and is by Light-AA. For 8.3 Final Fire in the DFPh, the Glider is treated as a stopped, 0-sized target, truck with a cs#7. Only in the DFPh, after it's on the ground, is the potential to hit the Passengers considered.

Under D6.7 Trucks "A non-ordnance or mortar attack is resolved on the Vehicle line of the IFT (A7.308) against both the vehicle and Collaterally (D.8B) against its Passengers/crew with the same DR [EXC: if that attack destroys the vehicle; D.8]."

Further, D.8 Collateral Attacks, directs that such an attack vs the PRC would be a Specific Collateral Attack, saying that, provided the glider is not destroyed, the PRC is subject to a full Strength attack using the same DR made against the glider.

So if I understand correctly there is that small window in the DFPh during which the passengers of the glider could be attacked as per truck Passengers. If the glider is destroyed while on the ground, the Passengers can roll for crew survival. If the IFT Vehicle Line DR results in an NMC/PTC then the Passengers would have to take such. This would be in addition to the Casualty-Reduction/NMC if the glider has been 'wounded'

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do not have the DFTB article, but do have the Ann96, so I think I'll have to agree with Curt.

Not to quibble over the point, but the 8.21 Defensive First Fire quoted above only applies while in the air and is by Light-AA. For 8.3 Final Fire in the DFPh, the Glider is treated as a stopped, 0-sized target, truck with a cs#7. Only in the DFPh, after it's on the ground, is the potential to hit the Passengers considered.

Under D6.7 Trucks "A non-ordnance or mortar attack is resolved on the Vehicle line of the IFT (A7.308) against both the vehicle and Collaterally (D.8B) against its Passengers/crew with the same DR [EXC: if that attack destroys the vehicle; D.8]."

Further, D.8 Collateral Attacks, directs that such an attack vs the PRC would be a Specific Collateral Attack, saying that, provided the glider is not destroyed, the PRC is subject to a full Strength attack using the same DR made against the glider.

So if I understand correctly there is that small window in the DFPh during which the passengers of the glider could be attacked as per truck Passengers. If the glider is destroyed while on the ground, the Passengers can roll for crew survival. If the IFT Vehicle Line DR results in an NMC/PTC then the Passengers would have to take such. This would be in addition to the Casualty-Reduction/NMC if the glider has been 'wounded'
That is the opposite of what Carl was saying in his article. If the glider is destroyed by Light AA fire prior to landing, the passengers all die. The crew survival provision only comes into effect after it has landed. There is no situation where passengers are attacked separately by way of a collateral attack before they emerge in the AFPh. This is clear from the terms of E8.4:

8.4 AFPh/CCPh: During the ATTACKER's AFPh, the contents of a glider [EXC: vehicle/Gun (and its PRC/manning Infantry)] are placed onboard in the glider's hex for the first time, after resolving the consequences of all Damage results (8.41). Prior to this they were considered "broken" for LOS purposes. At this point the Passengers assume their own morale, FP, and leadership characteristics for the first time, are no longer subject to losses caused by Damage/elimination of the glider, and may possibly advance out of the hex. Such units can fire in that AFPh (but not as Opportunity Fire)...

The highlighted section indicates that the passengers cannot have been subjected to a collateral attack from any defensive fire against them since they had no morale to use in the event of a NMC or worse.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree that before landing they are subject to the fate of the glider, and I also agree that before the AFPh they have no morale, etc. I've played it the same as you are saying. It just mention of that Annual article by Curt Shilling, which led me to read it for the first time. He clearly states that they can be affected if the glider is not destroyed, making their cs# for survival (NMC/PTC, etc)/

Now I'm not sure. Why else would they state that it is treated as a stopped, 0-sized truck with a cs# if they did not want you to apply the D6.7 Trucks rules during the DFPh when the glider is on the ground?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don’t believe that the passage you refer to supersedes the terms of E8.1 and 8.4. The intent of the glider rules is that passengers do not assume an identity of their own until they leave the glider. Any casualties are tied to damage to it. This is reflected in the fact that passengers take a casualty reduction result if the glider is damaged and have to take a morale check. There is no equivalent penalty for truck passengers whose vehicle suffers an immobilisation result, which is the nearest equivalent. This in effect replaces a collateral attack.

It isn’t unknown for articles in the Annuals/Journals to have inaccuracies that get through the proof reading process. It is a complicated game and it is easy to miss things.

MikeSon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to both of you gents for the discussion (and for confirmation that I was okay being stymied by the rules -- which happens often!