Get yourself a brew and eat some pie

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
So who wants some humble pie:

US officials knew in May Iraq possessed no WMD

Blair comes under pressure as Americans admit it was widely known that Saddam had no chemical arsenal

Peter Beaumont, Gaby Hinsliff and Paul Harris
Sunday February 1, 2004
The Observer

Senior American officials concluded at the beginning of last May that there were no weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq, The Observer has learnt.
Intelligence sources, policy makers and weapons inspectors familiar with the details of the hunt for WMD told The Observer it was widely known that Iraq had no WMD within three weeks of Baghdad falling, despite the assertions of senior Bush administration figures and the Prime Minister, Tony Blair.

The new revelation came as White House sources indicated that President George Bush was considering establishing an investigation into the intelligence, despite rejecting an inquiry the previous day.

The disclosure that US military survey teams sent to visit suspected sites of WMD, and intelligence interviews with Iraqi scientists and officials, had concluded so quickly that no major weapons or facilities would be found is certain to produce serious new embarrassment on both sides of the Atlantic.

According to the time-line provided by the US sources, it would mean that Number 10 would have been aware of the US doubts that weapons would be found before the outbreak of the feud between Number 10 and Andrew Gilligan, and before the exposure of Dr David Kelly as Gilligan's source for his claims that the September dossier had been 'sexed up' to exaggerate the Iraqi threat.

It would suggest too that some officials who defended the 24 September dossier in evidence before the Hutton inquiry did so in the knowledge that the pre-war intelligence was probably wrong. Indeed, comments from a senior Washington official first casting serious doubt on the existence of WMD were put to Downing Street by The Observer - and rejected - as early as 3 May.

Among those interviewed by The Observer was a very senior US intelligence official serving during the war against Iraq with an intimate knowledge of the search for Iraq's WMD.

'We had enough evidence at the beginning of May to start asking, "where did we go wrong?",' he said last week. 'We had already made the judgment that something very wrong had happened [in May] and our confidence was shaken to its foundations.'

The source, a career intelligence official who spoke on condition of anonymity, was also scathing about the massive scale of the failure of intelligence over Iraq both in the US and among its foreign allies - alleging that the intelligence community had effectively suppressed dissenting views and intelligence.

The claim is confirmed by other sources, as well as figures like David Albright, a former UN nuclear inspector with close contacts in both the world of weapons inspection and intelligence.

'It was known in May,' Albright said last week, 'that no one was going to find large stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons. The only people who did not know that fact was the public.'

The new disclosure follows the claims last week by Dr David Kay, the former head of the Iraq Survey Group, a hawk who believed Iraq retained prohibited weapons, that he now believed that the alleged stockpiles 'had never existed'.

It also comes as the House and Senate intelligence committees, which have been hearing evidence on why no weapons have been found, prepare to publish their reports this month.

Although it is expected that they will conclude that there was no political interference in the intelligence process, as some critics have alleged, the reports are expected to be damning about the quality of the intelligence that led to war.

The revelation is likely to lead to increased pressure both in Britain and the United States for an inquiry into the intelligence marshalled in favour of war.

In recent weeks Bush has come under concerted pressure over the issue, with Democratic presidential candidates accusing both him and Vice-President Dick Cheney of manipulating pre-war intelligence to make the case for invasion.

White House sources said that President Bush is considering the formation of an independent panel to investigate pre-war intelligence on Iraq that he used to justify going to war.

Aides are discussing it with congressional officials, sources familiar with the discussions said last night.

Bush had rejected an independent investigation amid White House fears of a political witch-hunt by Democrats hoping to unseat him in elections this year, but began in recent days to reconsider the position.

'I want the American people to know that I, too, want to know the facts,' Bush told reporters on Friday.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a range of options for such a panel was being explored and that an agreement was hoped for soon.

The White House would not comment.

Arizona Republican Senator John McCain broke party ranks to join Democratic demands for an independent probe into how US intelligence got it wrong, given the failure by searchers to find weapons of mass destruction.

As I long ago pointed out - nothing but a knee jerk blood thirsty reaction to 9/11. So we now have 10,000 Afghan dead, 20,000 Iraqi. So the innocent Arabs now outnumber the innocent americans by 3-1 and still the war on terror is not over. By the way it is not a war. It is illegal murder and maiming of innocent people. Also, the US army is without doubt the most incompetent fighting force ever the serve. An army that simply wants to shoot and blow up everything is pathetic.

One thing that has taken most of the US by surprise is the will of the Iraqi people to rid it's oil rich lands of the US imperial pig dogs. I say the sooner the US troops are out the better. Then we can all sit back and watch the Iraq nation descend into a bloody civil war with death tolls far exceeding those under the rule of the once backed Iraqi leader Saddam. Well at least it is good to see that Aghanistan is enjoying the peace. What ? Civil strife, starvation, murder, US aggression resulting in civilian deaths, lack of infrastructure, Al Qaeda still hiding out - I guess we can dismiss that one as a victory as well.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marko,

Ah, you're back...

As usual, spouting out the nonsense...at times, I think your'e just Jamiam's evil twin...

I don't know who's worse, you or Jamiam...

Dan

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheetah772 said:
Marko,

Ah, you're back...

As usual, spouting out the nonsense...at times, I think your'e just Jamiam's evil twin...

I don't know who's worse, you or Jamiam...

Dan
It is healthy and wise to see things from another point of view. I watched a programme on US forces operating in Iraq, you would have not believed the attitude displayed by some of the soldiers. It is all about hearts and minds and if you don't even asttempt to win them then your occupation will be fought until the day you run (*tail in between legs)

good to be back.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marko said:
It is healthy and wise to see things from another point of view. I watched a programme on US forces operating in Iraq, you would have not believed the attitude displayed by some of the soldiers. It is all about hearts and minds and if you don't even asttempt to win them then your occupation will be fought until the day you run (*tail in between legs)

good to be back.
Yes, I'm sure it's very healthy to view all US soldiers as "pigs" and "imperialists" who deserved to die if only to snub at us?

And you wouldn't believe what I see in some radical leftists and liberals like you, all screaming for American blood to be spilled onto the streets.

Ah, yes, a very healthy prespective! Oh my, what a load of crap!

Dan

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Cheetah772 said:
Glad to see somebody who's a fan of Saddam's regime...way to go...thanks!

Dan ;)
Where the hell is there a link between Saddam's regime and what I said about you ???

LaPalice.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LaPalice said:
Where the hell is there a link between Saddam's regime and what I said about you ???

LaPalice.
By implying in the other posts that you think the US invasion was wrong to start with, thus leaving Saddam safely in his power.

No, you can't just claim not to support Saddam, but not the US invasion of Iraq, which would be a contradiction. That's simple as it can get.

Dan

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheetah772 said:
By implying in the other posts that you think the US invasion was wrong to start with, thus leaving Saddam safely in his power.

No, you can't just claim not to support Saddam, but not the US invasion of Iraq, which would be a contradiction. That's simple as it can get.

Dan

LISTEN:

A bad regime is a bad regime , period (as you americans like to say). There are very many bad regimes in this world, where people lose money, land, minerals, and lives due to corruption and hatred. You cannot decide that one regime is worse than another. It is simply a case of the US had a war with Iraq (justified) and failed to topple Saddam at that time. So Bush comes to power and using the 9/11 incident links Saddam to Al Qaeda (rubbish) and the UK and US lie to the whole world about the weapons of mass destruction even when the intructors tell us there are none.

More Iraqui people would be alive today had Saddam stll been in power. The only thing it would have really affected is US pride. Simply an oil grabbing, vote winning, arab slaughtering exercise. Nothing more.

Is is like 9/11. All the US thought was revenge. Has any US citizen actually sat down and thought why ? I doubt it very much.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheetah772 said:
Yes, I'm sure it's very healthy to view all US soldiers as "pigs" and "imperialists" who deserved to die if only to snub at us?

And you wouldn't believe what I see in some radical leftists and liberals like you, all screaming for American blood to be spilled onto the streets.

Ah, yes, a very healthy prespective! Oh my, what a load of crap!

Dan

i just don't like to see beefed up macho dicks shooting cars full of children. Don't care about US blood, whereever it gets spilt - jus tleave the Iraqwi people alone, haven't you killed enough. If you are so concenerd aboput being labelled - stop labelling others. I am not liberal, conservative or any of the that toss pot. I just don't like pig ignorant grunts wasting every thing that moves beacsure the US voters don't like dead GI's

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Cheetah772 said:

Dan
No I don't support Saddam whatever you think. Neither Bush nor Saddam, I am neutral.

LaPalice.

SparceMatrix

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So what if there were no WMDs? Then we're right back where we started before the invasion arguing about what to do. Remember the No Fly Zones that had the UN's approval? Who was paying for that and why? The US was not going to pay for that forever in which case the UN would be obliged to do something about it. That means that other countries were going to have to pay for it, or just give it up. The whole WMD argument was bogus from the beginning and applied to obscure the real problem that Iraq had with both the Kurdish nationalists and Shi'i fundamentalists. It is a problem that remains and so the whole WMD facade also remains. It is a fake argument.