Four Aces

Roy Connelly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike and I played TAC 33: Four Aces after our game of Bear Hunt went so quickly.

Four Aces is a 1940 tank scen between the French and Germans. It takes place on boards 12 and 16, with the German tanks needing to traverse the length of board 16 and exit between A5 and A10. They get three waves entering on the first three turns, consisting of two PZIIF and six 38t in the first group, one PZIIF and 5 38t in the second, and two IIF and four PZIV in the third. Groups 2 and 3 have ALs of -1 and -2.

The French counter with six H39 starting on board 12, and reinforced by six B1-bis and a -1 AL on turn 3 from the North side of the fight. Objective is for the German to get 40 pts off the west edge of board 16.

I got the French and set up my platoon movers in groups of two, on board 12 looking across the middle of the board to 16. Two went fairly forward to get a crack at the Germans as they entered board 16 on the road, two about halfway back and two way back as my touchdown saving Free Safeties.

Turn 1, Mike came on, and I got my shots off as he entered the board, but with red TH #s and small targets moving, I needed something low and didn't get it, malfed an MA to boot. Mike pulled up shorter than I thought he would, and I was hoping to get some good shots on him, he left his guys in motion. I moved my H39s onto board 16 in my half, leaving the forward platoon on board 12 to counter his last two tanks who ventured onto 12 to confront me. My safeties stopped right in front of the 5 hex exit area and waited for the Germans.

Turn two saw Mike kill one of my H39s in the middle with a bounding fire shot on a deuce. I promptly rolled one of my own for the crew survival (which was a CS2) and a 127 crew in a 28 tank fight is in trouble, and died shortly after.

Things quickly went downhill for the French after this. I managed to shock a 38t with my back platoon, but in an unbelievable streak, mike rolled two more deuces on bounding fire shots, killing two more H39s and leaving me with only 3 servicable tanks. I then rolled a two on the wind change, making 4 straight snakes and 5 total for the half turn, including 4 in a row between the two of us.

Top of his turn three, and he Kills two more H39s, with one of those being yet another snakes, and I had to concede, as he was in position to exit pretty much all he needed before my B1-bis even came on board.

It was a tough night for me between this scen and Bear Hunt, as I just got totally drilled twice in one evening. We had an incredible string of luck, and I was rolling 2s too, but his were on TH rolls and mine were on CS and WC rolls. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I love these Tank scens with the older AFVs. Even though platoon movers, the H39 is one of my favorite tanks, and in 1940 it is a very tough out. But there's nothing you can do when your opponent gets 4 Crits and one snakes on a TK roll.

Fun still and had us rolling with the string of 2s, I would definitely like to give it another try, and would rate it 7 out of 10, just because of the possibilities. :wink: