For all you Combat Mission fans - favourite version of the game?

Which is your favourite version of Combat Mission?

• Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Combat Mission: Afrika Korps.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Roach said:
Since CMAK was released, it has taken over, for me, from CMBO. CMBO remained firmly in my Rom Drive for about three years; I bypassed CMBB mainly because it didn't appeal to me. No Americans. And no bocage. I love bocage. I am trying to make Dr S see the beauty of bocage, but he just doesn't see it. He even bought me a copy of CMBB so I could see the potential of the Eastern Front. But I just couldn't see it - not even with the lend-lease Shermans.

So that's it really, CMAK for me. But not the sandy bits. I don't like the sandy bits. Not enough bocage for my liking with the sandy bits. It's all too sandy. Bocage: it's the way forward. Ah dear, another three years of fighting in Normandy then...
You and your bloody Bocage... It's Bocage for breakfast, Bocage for lunch and fish for tea with some Bocage thrown in on the side. :laugh:

The latest map you forced me to play at gunpoint is a classic case of Bocage obsession. I hate it. When we're done, how about some nice open spaces so I can destroy you completely?

Dr. S.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roach said:
And no bocage. I love bocage. I am trying to make Dr S see the beauty of bocage, but he just doesn't see it.
Bocage: it's the way forward. Ah dear, another three years of fighting in Normandy then...
Hey Roach!

Where were you when we started up the CMBO "Three Months in France" Tourney? You love bocage, we had bocage for you!!!
Some in round one, more in round two and as my partner recently said round three will probably be called "Hedge-row Hell" by the players! :skull: :scream: :skull:

Let me know if you want on the stand-by list! ;)

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Just bought CM:AK. Anyone up for a game?

I have the other two already. CM:BO is good. CM:BB is excellent.

Looking forward to this one too. :cheeky:

Roach

Reaction score
Slightly less secret Top Secret bunker next to the
Country
ll
Palantir said:
Hey Roach!

Where were you when we started up the CMBO "Three Months in France" Tourney? You love bocage, we had bocage for you!!!
Some in round one, more in round two and as my partner recently said round three will probably be called "Hedge-row Hell" by the players! :skull: :scream: :skull:

Let me know if you want on the stand-by list! ;)
Palantir,

Hedgerow Hell eh? Brings back memories; driven my jeep all over Hill 108 on several occasions - now that's some mighty fine bocage!

I would say put me on the standby list but I am much better at admiring bocage than fighting in it!

:laugh:

Cheers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Roach said:
Palantir,

Hedgerow Hell eh? Brings back memories; driven my jeep all over Hill 108 on several occasions - now that's some mighty fine bocage!

I would say put me on the standby list but I am much better at admiring bocage than fighting in it!

:laugh:

Cheers
Don't listen to him - he's an expert at bringing down seven types of high-explosive hell on your head just when you think the way forward is clear. And Roach, don't think I don't know what you've got hidden for me behind those hedgerows - but you can't have my shiny things, they are mine and I love them. :devious:

Dr. S.

Roach

Reaction score
Slightly less secret Top Secret bunker next to the
Country
ll
Doctor Sinister said:
Don't listen to him - he's an expert at bringing down seven types of high-explosive hell on your head just when you think the way forward is clear. And Roach, don't think I don't know what you've got hidden for me behind those hedgerows - but you can't have my shiny things, they are mine and I love them. :devious:

Dr. S.

Ah... come to me, my Precious...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
While Africa is my favourite theatre I went with CMBO for it's content. The 3 battle 'Villers Bocage' is a great training tool(at least vs the AI). CMBB is loads of fun as well and I do not have enough experience in CMAK as yet (but ya gotta love the Lee/Grant tanks). :D

Last edited:

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hard to tell really and depends mainly on which frontline (Western, North Africa or Eastern) I wish to play in, though CMBO, of all the CM games is the one that I have played the most. (Though I'm still in somewhat of a personal debate over whether that's because I enjoy playing the 1944 Western Front more on simply because it's the CM game that compiles my turns the fastest on my PC.)

Patrocles

Reaction score
Doctor Sinister said:
A simple poll to seek opinions from Combat Mission players on which version of the game is their favourite or the "best".

Although each edition of CM is an improvement over the previous release, each game is distinctly different from the others as they feature different campaigns and participating Armies and individual units.

So which is the "best"? And why?

A brief summary of the differences:

1) Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Set exclusively after D-Day and featuring Armies from the USA, Britain, Canada, France, Poland and of course Germany. Therefore, limited timescale and earlier technology in the game itself probably make this the "weakest" of the series, but not necessarily the least favourite due to the subject matter.

2) Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. Set exclusively on the Eastern Front and featuring Armies from The Soviet Union, Finland, Hungary, Rumania, Poland, Italy and our old favourites, Germany. Although it has a wider timeline than CM:BO, if you want to play as any of the western powers, you can't. Improved technology and different terrain and tactics for fighting in Russia.

3) Combat Mission: Afrika Korps. Set in Crete, North Africa and Italy, this game also has a wide timeline and features Armies from Western Europe, the USA and - hey wow - Germany! Since this is the final version using this particular game engine, it's the most technically advanced, with smoke and dust effects and widely varying terrain - including the horrid desert landscape (very difficult to tell terrain height unless you get "down and dirty" with your troops). Alas however, no King Tiger Tanks if you want to play as Germany (this is historically accurate - they were never deployed in the areas featured in this game).

Dr. S.
I voted for number 2 CMBB. HOwever, my vote was biased because I own CMBO and CMBB. I finally got my comp to run CM after upgrading Windows xp with SP2 (kinda odd when you think about it! :( so I'm considering purchasing CMAK to allow the AI to whup me good!)

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think CMAK is the best due to many upgrades to the engine. Glad to see the older games in the series still gets alot of love. It's just a great game series period. I also think it boils down to which front you like to fight in.

BigMik1

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
CMBB!!!

Like it or not the war was decided at the East Front IMHO. (And they have Hungarians included :cool:)

I also very much like CMAK you can play the entire west front as it is very good for France scenarios as well. It has the best engine and it allows big maps. (I wish CMBB knew the map size of CMAK..)

Artur.

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Doctor Sinister said:
Must admit I hardly play in the desert - about 99% of the games I've played with CM:AK are in Italy, with LOTS of green. :cheeky:

Dr. S.
Same with me... Well make it 80% green and 20% desert. Desert is awesome green is better ... :laugh:

Artur.

KG_AGCent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I picked CMBB because of its variety and scope. CMAK come in a close second and CMBO a very close third. I really loved the infantry slugfests in BO. Comical but fun.