Firing panzerfaust into a melee and other questions

Dr. Metal

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello to everybody. After the great succes (at least for me :D ) of my first post, now I´m going for the second.

This is the situation:

A lone T-34M43 is stopped in an open ground hex with the turret turned two hexpines to the left. A German 4-6-7 advanced into the hex but failed to destroy the Russian tank in CC. In an adjacent woods hex there is another 4-6-7 with LOF to the side aspect of the hull and the frontal arc of the turret. Also, there is a PzIIIN with LOF to the VCA and the rear turret CA, sitting in a level 1 hill two hexes away. Now it´s the Russian PrepFPh.

Mi questions are as follows:

1) Can the T-34 Prep Fire the CMG and the BMG at the 4-6-7 in his hex using TPBF (18FP with 0 TEM), and then, after killing the squad in his own hex, fire the gun on the adjacent squad?. What if it only breaks the squad?.

2) If yes, can it then IF on the PzIIIN?.

3) If the German squad in the T-34 hex survives all the attacks in good order, thus retaining the melee counter, what happens if the adjacent squad fires a PF into the melee in the DFPh?. Should I Random Select which unit receives the PF?.

Thanks in advance.

Maedhros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A lone T-34M43 is stopped in an open ground hex with the turret turned two hexpines to the left. A German 4-6-7 advanced into the hex but failed to destroy the Russian tank in CC. In an adjacent woods hex there is another 4-6-7 with LOF to the side aspect of the hull and the frontal arc of the turret. Also, there is a PzIIIN with LOF to the VCA and the rear turret CA, sitting in a level 1 hill two hexes away. Now it´s the Russian PrepFPh.

1) Can the T-34 Prep Fire the CMG and the BMG at the 4-6-7 in his hex using TPBF (18FP with 0 TEM), and then, after killing the squad in his own hex, fire the gun on the adjacent squad?. What if it only breaks the squad?.
I believe so. An AFV is not held in Melee and is thus able to Prep Fire at a unit in its. own hex. If a result is achieved that eliminates the 4-6-7 (e.g. 1KIA, K/2 w/ "12" on MC, etc.), the AFV could then fire its MA at a target outside its hex. If the 4-6-7 (or a derivative HS) remains, even if broken, in the AFV's hex, then the AFV may fire only at that unit.

If the in-hex unit is destroyed, then the T-34 could fire at the adjacent squad and IF at the PzIIIN - "closest enemy unit" restrictions do not apply in the PFPh, only in DFF/DFPh.

3) If the German squad in the T-34 hex survives all the attacks in good order, thus retaining the melee counter, what happens if the adjacent squad fires a PF into the melee in the DFPh?. Should I Random Select which unit receives the PF?.
Unless the squad is behind a Wall or in a Building, it cannot be affected by the Panzerfaust. NRBH, but I don't think the infantry would be affected if you Hit the T-34 (since the infantry is not Riding the tank and thus not eligible for a Collateral Attack).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, if it kills all enemy units in its own location. No, it must kill the squad.

If it kills the squad in it's own location, then it can fire outside of its location just like any other PFPh. So the answer is yes.

There is only one eligible target, the tank.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello to everybody. After the great succes (at least for me :D ) of my first post, now I´m going for the second.

This is the situation:

Thanks in advance.

1) First the vehicle is never held in Melee. But does hold the Infantry in Melee as long as it is unbroken, non-abandoned, Stopped. Yes, the T34 can fire at the 467 in because it its hex (and only at a unit in its hex) and is bound by A7.212. If the 467 is eliminated weather by the T34 or units outside the hex, the T34 would cease to be bound by A7.212 and could fire any remaining weapons else were. If the 467 only breaks A7.212 still apllies.

2)Yes. If the squad in its hex is eliminated first.

3)No RS because the T34 is not held in Melee. Also the PF shot must designate the vehicle or the infantry as a target. Also the PF being HEAT can only effect infantry in certain terrain type see C8.31.

Seth

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr. Metal...I know your question has been answered how about telling us the results of your action if this was a game in progress. All the responses need to see the effects of their advice.

:popc1: Jimfer

Dr. Metal

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I can´t tell you more for now

Yes, it was a game in progress, but for now I´m unable to please you because my oponent is a hunter, and in my country the hunt season has just opened, so I can´t post the result of this thrilling situation until a month or two has passed. Hopefully by december the bad weather will force him to stay home by the wekend, so we could play the next turn.

By the way, we are playing a truly classic, Hill 621. We are in turn six and the situation has became a little caotic, with the germans eagerly triying to buy time and the russians maneuvering into position. The hazards of the T-34 described above were the result of an impulsive move of mine. This game promisses to last until the CCPh of the last turn!:nuts: .

And thanks again for all the replies.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Months! :shock: I can't wait months!:scream: How can you or your opponent stand the wait! :nuts: Go drag that dude out of the woods and finish.:rifle:

Seth

Dr. Metal

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Remember that he is the one who knows how to use a weapon :laugh: .

I wish I could play six days a week (after all even God rests on sunday), but I don´t have the time because of my job (I´m a lawyer) and he is a fanatic of hunting.

Don´t worry, as soon as we can play it to the last consecuences I´ll make you know :thumup: .