Even when you're good, you need a little luck...

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "The Bushmasters" last week. ROAR shows it heavily favoring the Japanese, but I was playing against a newb, and I knew that the US had to setup to recieve the banzai charge.

So through turn 6 or so everything looked good. I had restricted the Japanese entry area to just a handful of hexes along the edge of the jungle, I had 4 tanks and 2 or 3 MMGs setup and ready. I thought I was ready... Even my opponent thought it was a lost cause for the Japanese...

Anyway, Japanese prep fire: He fires smoke from one of those light mortars and places +3 smoke on two of the tanks and +2 WP on the others. He breaks one or two of the guys with MMGs. He sets up and banzai!!!!

In addition to the banzai, he had a tunnel from a HIP pillbox perfectly positioned to pop out in the location where my 8-0 had a radio. Not that either battery fired a SINGLE ROUND! :crosseye: :cry: :OHNO: :bite: :( :angry: :freak: :mad:

Anyway, like I say... Even if you're setup, you have to have SOME luck!

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tunnel can't be from his setup area to your setup area, unless they actually overlap or via SSR. This question was asked recently in the rules/errata forum.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The US enters from off board in this scenario. The tunnel was entirely in the IJA setup area....

I just got whacked - nothing illegal about it. :D

iamspamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyway, like I say... Even if you're setup, you have to have SOME luck!
This what I really like about this game, especially the longer scenarios or CGs, where a little luck doesn't screw the whole shebang. At any moment, the luck can change and "BAM!", you're back in it. I never give up until the fat lady has actually sung. Even if I'm getting trashed, I can still learn something or try something new.