Europe Aflame II

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Was just talking to Ben Turner, and I didnt realise, but EA2 is now available from:

http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=TOAW;action=display;num=1047768961;start=80#80

also the following instructions on how to run the modified executable are useful:

How to use the executable
a) put the executable in your TOAW directory (the same one as the existing executables)
b) run the executable.

Ta-da! You can now open Skuli's PBEM turns.

Skuli, your confusion over the composition of Belgian units will disappear if you use the modified executable. Note the capitalisation of "MUST" in my previous E-mail. Seriously. Using the wrong executable will make the scenario junk.

I would hope that both players will avoid looking at the other player's dispositions and OOB in the editor or scenario dump. Feel free to look at the events- there aren't many.

Anyway, I will send a fixed scenario (that extra objective and that artillery placed, plus fortified fortresses where they weren't already) later today.

Apologies if everyone already knew this :)

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I dunno what's wrong with it - but it is a link to a thread at tdg.nu. I'm also having trouble posting intermittantly.

Sturlungur

Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Was just talking to Ben Turner, and I didnt realise, but EA2 is now available from:

http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB...rt=80#

also the following instructions on how to run the modified executable are useful:

How to use the executable
a) put the executable in your TOAW directory (the same one as the existing executables)
b) run the executable.

Ta-da! You can now open Skuli's PBEM turns.
LOL... Aren't confusing something here Raver... or should I say: "The most beloved Fuhrer of Germany, Bringer of Justice to Oppressors, and leader of the free peoples of Europe (excluding Jews, Gypsies and Homosexuals)":laugh:

The message is from our game in Grand Strategy and even though I hope to be a Great Yedi Master in the distant future:whist: then I haven't arranged a link for others to examine my turns:D not yet at least;)

But this is the procedure for placing the executable that is needed to run EA2.

As for the link to the forum containing the scenario. Try this. Maybe this works.

http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=TOAW;action=display;num=1047768961;start=60

But if you want the EA2 directly then this is the link. Just click on it and use "save as"

http://www.geocities.com/maldenhill/EA2.zip

Now this is a game I'm just dying to try soon. :eek: When I've found someone who likes to play those 300+ turns at the rate of 1-5 pr week:cool:

But now my dear "most beloved Fuhrer of Germany..." (I don't bother with that other falseness;) ) I will turn my attention to kicking your ass while you bend over the poor subjugated Poles and slobber over the Balkans:devious:
My heroic Frencmen will now rip your hapless Huns apart in our joint invasion with our friends in UK and Belgium:ar15: :skull:

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
lol!!!

thanks for clearing that up Sturlunger - as you can see I'm not terribly competent with technology. And obviously the rest of my cut and paste message regarding setting up the executable is not relevant.

Looking forward to your invasion Stur - I've certainly made a lot of political mileage out of it so far :)

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Fishkoff
None of the links seem to work for me?

Lew
Just tried it and the link does work. Have to right click the link and hit "save target as" in order to procure said scenario.

Yes, I know it is a PITA.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Heat. If I extract EA2 within the TOW flder will it over write EA1?
No, it is completely different with it's own executable. Just grab the file and extract it into the default paths and it should put all the files where they belong. You will then click on EA 300.exe in your TOAW directory to load this game. It is a blessing and a bane that Ben used the custom editor to make this new scenario. Let me know if you have any troubles.

Fishkoff

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heat,

I'm not usually this retarted but I extracted EA2 into the TOW folder and created a EA2 folder within the TOW folder. However, when I clicked the OPART exe file in the TOW folder I could not find the EA2 scenario. I also tried the OPART exe file within the EA2 folder with the same result? I can't just remove the EA2 scanario and place it into the regular scenario folder?

Lew

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you open the zip file, you will choose Extract to folder option. Then select your TOAW folder...usually program files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW. It will then put the files it needs into each subdirectory below it...and will create all that you need.

THEN, once that is done you will NOT open the game like you normally do. You will go to that TOAW-CW directory and click on EA 300.exe instead. This will then allow you to select EA2 as a scenario. ONLY use this exe for this scenario.

Don't worry about asking me questions...this is my first modified scenario as well!

:D

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am busy as hell but I am going to try to knock out as many turns of hotseat play as I can to try to kick the tires a bit in Ben's work. Since this is revision 1 it might be worth playing hotseat before going to PBEM just to work out the initial problems...as that will be much faster than PBEM.

Fishkoff

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I got it right. I unzipped directly into the TOW-CW folder and got the 300 exe. pushed it and it worked fine. Just one thing. I also noticed that when I open the regular OPART 300 it also shows the new scenario along with all the others. Is that okay?

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
I think I got it right. I unzipped directly into the TOW-CW folder and got the 300 exe. pushed it and it worked fine. Just one thing. I also noticed that when I open the regular OPART 300 it also shows the new scenario along with all the others. Is that okay?
It's okay as long as you don't try to open up that scenario with the regular OPART 300. Then you end up with Airmobile Panzer Korps and all kinds of other alternate dB craziness (which, incidentally, gives me another chance to rant against Bioedited scenario building...:p ).

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This might be a good time to discuss among the EA community whether it is worth it to have a modified EA exe or if we want to stick with the simpler, though static, equipment database?

It is really something the majority of us should agree on.

I do like the new equipment types...but is it worth it to deviate from "standard" TOAW exe?

Sturlungur

Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This might be a good time to discuss among the EA community whether it is worth it to have a modified EA exe or if we want to stick with the simpler, though static, equipment database?
Hmmm. You seem to be hinting at some downside to this modified exe. Care to elaborate?

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Sturlungur

Hmmm. You seem to be hinting at some downside to this modified exe. Care to elaborate?
To be honest I don't know what the ramifications might be. I have never worked with or even looked at Bio-Ed to know how complicated it might be for the common person to work with.

Part of the "charm" of the original EA work by Mark and Ulver is that the community at large often cracks into the scenario (events, OOB, etc.) to make recommendations about fixes, changes, and the like. Whether that will be possible, or as easy, if we are using a hacked database/exe I just can't say.

That is why I wanted to bring it up! :D

Sturlungur

Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good point Mark.
Maybe Norm is the only one who is allowed to fiddle with things?:(
But if somebody takes a program, changes it and puts it up on the internet without any commercial or monetary reasons can he be sued? It might even increase the demand for the original TOAW.