Europe Aflame: A Noob Journey

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
Early in one of my EA games i tried to storm Malta which was defended by a fort and the malta bde,my air assets took a pounding my two Italian fleets took a pounding and i lost two Italian inf corps so it was somthing of a disaster.

B-snafu

Reaction score
Yah--I'm feeling I got lucky with Malta. I lost a few fleets & an Italian divided division but I think what tipped the balance for me there was I was able to ship along a divide Italian armor division that helped pack some punch & Karri had left it lightly defended. Unfourtantly--that luck didn't carry over to my Gilbrater attempt although it was close-only a few movement points more & it would have been mine. I imagine Karri will now position a strong defence there & I have lost my chance.

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
I took Gibralter by way of Spain even then my opponent fed troops into it,i paid a high price in material so cant say i will try that again,i lost the vichy forces but gained the Spanish and spanish partisans pain although the Pzr corps u get is nice to have :laugh:

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
I thought I had enough force in Both Malta and Gibraltar, but apparently I didn't. Gibraltar is now fairly well defended, and with no Aixs fleets should not fall to any attacks. I decided that it was time for another attack in North Africa and took the port of Oran. Should be able to ship in reinforcements there soon and possibly eliminate the French&Italian unit present there. It's a 50-50 chance there I reckon.

Also with Ethiopia/somaliland/whatever in my control it might be possible to break out from El Alamein...the forces need some rest first. And with DAK present there I dunno if a breakout is possible.

However I suspect more DAK forces will move into French North Africa.

Currently I still have some troops available in UK that can be moved into NA. I need to keep strong presence there, but with Norway in Allied hands the axis invasion options are quite limited.

But all this is just a 'little fun' until the Eastern Front will open up and I can destroy the German forces. :)

B-snafu

Reaction score
Re: Europe Aflame: The End of 1940.

The Current Standings--12/1940..............

Well from turn 68 to turn 75 (current standing)--Karri continued to press the attack in French Morrocco. He gave me a suprise by doing an amphip invasion of Oran behind my lines & took it easily (only had a few Vichy garrison units & Vichy coastal bat there). He had left his med fleet stationed behind Oran to provide arty support to his infantry there so I had trouble taking it back. But-due to this I noticed he left Gilbrater unscreened again with only what appeared to be only 2 divisions along w/ some air to guard it. So (with that uncontroled urge to obtain that extra Dak Pznr corps) I loaded up 1 italian inf corps, 1 Italian armor division, & 1 Ital HQ and instead of sending them to Morroco as much needed reinforcements---I attemted another amphip attack of the rock but without any warships (as mine had not returned from the nether-region yet). I came close again but no cigar--I think he had 1 weakened Inf dv left & my forces were left at sea which Karri's naval fleets evaped during his turn. The Spanish were not kind to me either as 4 to 5 of my divided Vichy units were knocked into Spanish Morroco by Karri where they were intered then disbanded as per the house rules. A little payback I got was in a later turn I also was able to knock a british motor Inf dv into S. Morrocco where it was promptly intered & also when some of my Italian fleet came back I finally got the joy of evaping a unit embarked at sea during a failed attempt by a Brit dv invading a Cyprus port. I was able to take Oran back around turn 73 by shipping all available Dak & Italians there. Due to that diverting of units--It was slower then I wanted but I was finally able to take Greece around mid november 40'. After ridding the Somali land of all Italian forces Karri was able to ship two British infantry divisions to Athens but it was too late to have an effect. El Alamein has stayed the same in a Stalemate--any attack by either side there just incurs casualties with little effect.

El Alamein--as of turn 75 (12/01/40):

The French Morroccon front--as of turn 75 (12/02/40):

B-snafu

Reaction score
Re: Europe Aflame: The End of 1940

The Global standings as of 12/01/1940..............

It's now December 1940 and the Winter has set in. The Axis control all of Europe (except nuetral Yogoslavia, Switzerland, Denmark, & Spain). In North Africa the Germans & Co have pushed as far as El Alamein but are already fighting a "Torch" style invasion in French Morroco. Karri has conquerd Somalia land and has almost finished railing his units there to the Nile area and my ill fated decision to pick the Iraqi revolt option had left him in control of Iraq & a sole remaining Iraqi HQ trying to retreat through the Levant to the sea & safe passage. Gilbrater is still in the Allied hands but the Axis control the rest of the Med. Finland is drawn into a strong shortened perimeter with the north there being lost to the Soviets. But the Germans are starting to mass on the Russian border for op's in the spring. More on that later..........

12/01/1940:

B-snafu

Reaction score
The beginning of the main event.....

The Germans finally declared war on the unprovoked agressive Soviet Union on turn 97 (05/04/41). Karri seems to have his main first defense line back by the Minsk area of the map so during turns 98 & 99 I delayed taking the Barb option as my troops converted the dead space in eastern poland & the Baltics while surrounding & clearing a path through the sparse NVKD border units. At the end of turn 99 I took the Barb shock option as I had gone as far as I could in Russia without suffering too stiff of resistance & due to happenings in the Med.

After the mud ended & before the start of the war with Russia-Karri was able to take cyprus back & my long suffering lone Iraqi HQ met it's end along with some Italians. Due to his massing of Brits in Morroco, adding defense to Alexandria & Port Said after my failed invasions there, and the stationing of a few Brits in cyprus--I was able to start wearing down his few remainig Brits at the El Alamein line while the bridges were blown behind him. But I didn't have the strenght to break through even with the Dak. On his turn 98 Karri gave me another huge suprise--He landed a Brit motorised Inf division at a port on the western side of North Italy after overcoming the weak fort & Italian HQ I had there:OHNO: I should be able to take care of it shortly but that also led to me picking the Barb op 1 turn before I really wanted to. Now with the shock bonus coming-besides what happens in Russia--I hope to not only take the Italian mainland invader out but also finally break through at El Alamein while the bulk of his med force are in Morrocco.

As a side not my other game with Rasmus is currently in the fall of 40'. The early part of the game has followed the same path as this one somewhat except now the main difference is that in that one I did not bring in the Italians but instead opted to occupy Yugoslavia & Greece in the interim. Those campaigns have finished with German victory of course but Rasmus was able to mobilize the Greeks before I entered & I had to go through a costly "battle of Thermopylea" in the mtn istmus of Greece. It will be interesting to see the results in the Russian main event for both games with their different paths.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It will be interesting to see the results in the Russian main event for both games with their different paths.
I look forward to it. :popcorn: <--Damnit, why don't we have a popcorn one?! :laugh:

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Moscow is about to fall. Surrounded from 5 sides...things looking grim...what are the chances for Soviet recovery if Moscow is lost?

B-snafu

Reaction score
Moscow is about to fall. Surrounded from 5 sides...things looking grim...what are the chances for Soviet recovery if Moscow is lost?

I think the soviets won't bow out till I take Stalingrad also so might turn out good if you can hold out till the winter shock kicks in around turn 128. The fall of Moscow should bring in the U.S. but on the other hand the capture of Moscow will give a permanent -10 allied supply drop along with reducing the Russian replacement rate by .08 (whatever that means).

Last edited:

B-snafu

Reaction score
What has transpired....

Barborossa----(The Main Event).......

After the spring 41' mud ended I finally decided to take the "invade USSR" TO on turn 97 & started my invasion on turn 98 (May-4th 1941). Figured with Crete taken in the fall of 40' there was no reason to wait an additional month as was historic & by invading a month early (as was the original German plan I believe) I would have a better chance of making Moscow & Stalingrad before the 41' winter shock stopped me. I also held off on taking the "Barb 41" shock bonus option during the first few turns as I wanted to gobble up as much undefended territory as I could thus not wasting a turn or two of the shock just on covering ground & overcoming the few border units Karri had in the Baltics & eastern Poland. After two turns I basically reached his first line of strong defense & due to his successful attacks in North Africa I decided to take the Barb 41' option & started turn 100 with the shock & supply bonus.

The small defensive rump left in Finland started to break out at this time & by turn 102 (June 8th 1941) was threatning Leningrad along with Gernan AG north. During these first few turns I had also initiated a bridge blowing air campaign behind the Soviet lines trying to hamper reinforcement movement to the front:

In the center AG center was moving along and starting to threaten Smolensk by the end of turn 102:

Also by june 8th 41' the Rumanian & Hungarians were assisting AG south in by taking Odessa & getting ready to cross the Dnieper:

Last edited:

B-snafu

Reaction score
Barbarossa cont.....

Leningrad was taken by the Finns & some German Mtn troops shipped to the Finland front by the end of turn 103. The photo below shows the furthest progress for AG north by the end of turn 106 (July 6th 1941). The circled areas in yellow were where large pockets of the Russian army were surrounded & destroyed:

A large pocket of Russian troops was also surrounded near Smolensk and by July 6th 41' the vanguard of Ag center was nearing the gates of Moscow:

In AG south's sector Kiev has been taken & the dnieper breached further south by the Rumanians by July 41'. The yellow circles show where more Russian forces will be surrounded over the next few turns & evaped:

B-snafu

Reaction score
The current standings at August 31 1941.......

Around turn 107/108 the Barb shock & supply bonus ended. Between the -20 supply event shock that the Germans went into afterwards & the stubborness of a few large pockets of surrounded Russians near Kiev I was delayed in my advance more then I wanted. Also Karri was finally able to start & put up an air defense. But I was able to slog ahead & by the end of turn 114 I have Moscow almost surrounded. I probably would of been able to take it a turn or so earlier but I concentrated my main efforts on surrounding & weakening it so I could give my southern forces a chance to get closer to Stalingrad before I take Moscow (which will bring in the U.S). Also in the far north Finnish units are about 6 hexes from Petestamo.

After the Barb shock ended the Rumanians & Hungarians kind of lost their punch. By the end of turn 114 (8/31/41) Ag South has taken Kharkov & started to breach what appears to be Karri's last reserve defensive line. (The insert in the top right corner of the pic shows the overview of the Eastern front)

B-snafu

Reaction score
North Africa in 1941....

During the invasion of Russia the battle in North Africa raged on. By the Dak & Italians also benifitting from the shock bonus I was able to finally take El Alamein by turn 106. I also tried a small amphib invasion with two Italian division along with the air-dropped Italian Fogore airborn division at Port Said. I took it for my side of the turn but Karri sent some armor there & my forces were destroyed. The Folgore airborne could of probably been better used at Alamein & I basically just threw them away.

The battle also went back in forth In French Morrocco with my furthest progress around turn 106 as showed below. The biggest factor in this Theater so far has been suprisingly neutral Spain. Due to where the front line had been--both parties have been able to knock some of the other guy's forces into Spanish Morrocco where it simulates them being interned & as per house rules they were disbanded. I lost most of my remaining Vichy units along with a few Italian units this way but Karri also had to disband I think about 4 or 5 British units including an armored corps as the pic below shows. As of the end of turn 114 the line is realitivly the same but after the Barb shock ended & due to the moutainous terrain there my attacks there have started to eat up 50 to 70 % of the turn per attack.

I am not sure if I will be able to take Stalingrad before the winter sets in but I should be able to take Moscow in the next turn or so. I want to try & hold off as long as I can so as to delay the U.S entry as much as I can. If successful on the Eastern front I believe a big factor in it will be the fact that Karri didn't take out the remaining Finns duriing the Axis shock penalty of the 40' to 41' winter. (although I can see maybe why he didn't want to try due to the large losses he had there in the 39' to 40' winter). With the Finns recovered from the 40' attack they were able to break out & take Leningrad early in the campaign. One of the main factors if I fail in the east might be actually the North African front. I think now I should'nt have brought the Italians in as it has given Karri a chance to get the Britts involved in a meaningful way. The losses from the back & forth battles there have probably sucked up tons of supplies & replacements that I could have used better on the Eastern front.

B-snafu

Reaction score
The final results.....

(This game ended back in April but been off the 'puter for awhile due to a move---didn't want the AAR unfinished & just wanted to show how this game of EA came to it's conclusion)....

I was able to take Moscow (after a tough fight) right before the Fall mud hit. About a turn after I captured the capital the mud hit which gave me some needed breather time to bring up my reserves & rest and refit. As soon as the attack restriction lifted I pushed on again but concentrated most of my effort to the south. With the U.S. entering after the fall of Moscow I needed to take Stalingrad before the end of 41' to get the Soviets knocked out. By turn 126 (11/23/41) I was at the gates of Stalingrad with only a weakened small Russian line left there. In the far south below Stalingrad there appeared to be nothing left between my forces & the caucasus. In the north I was only a few hexes from Gorki and had already started shipping units west to meet any threat with the upcoming U.S. mobilization. At the fall of Moscow & the entry of the U.S. I had also chosen the "battle of Britain" option since I did not need to worry about the U.S. entry variable anymore but by november 41' it had still not played out (under the hood of course). By fall 41' In North Africa the stalemate was still in place basically with no side really at any advantage.

AG north & center at end of game:

AG south (Stalingrad & below) at end of game:

It turned out by turn 126 what was left of the soviets were mostly in reorg & my opponent stated he had nothing left to really stop me from taking Stalingrad. With the pending Russian collapse my opponent decided to concede and called the game. Being realativly new to EA- I still thought with his toehold already established in North Africa & the U.S. starting to mobilize there might still be a chance for a succesfull Allied europe invasion. But with the early knock out of the Soviets and after long turns of fighting an outnumbered defensive delaying battle it probably wasn't worth the time anymore to fight out a foregone conclusion. In my opinion I think leaving the Finns ln a fortified "rump" and not finishing them off before Barbarossa helped me in the 5 month campaign on the eastern front.

Still have another EA game that is just going into 1941' vs Rasmus. Differences in this one are that the Finnish winter war has started in winter of 40-41' instead of 39-40' and I have not brought in the Italians in this one yet so no North Africa campaign to suck up my resources. Interested to see if this one might carry intio 42' or 43'.

edit: don't know what happened with the pic size --got to try & reduce them

Last edited:

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
A good game it was, and congratulations indeed for winning. I did my fair share of mistakes, starting form the finns who I thought would stay bottled up.

But anyways, although my position was good in North Africa and I was pretty certain the Axis would have lost there during '42, the Soviets were pretty much defeated...and without the Soviets there really wasn't much of a chance for the allies.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A good game it was, and congratulations indeed for winning. I did my fair share of mistakes, starting form the finns who I thought would stay bottled up.

But anyways, although my position was good in North Africa and I was pretty certain the Axis would have lost there during '42, the Soviets were pretty much defeated...and without the Soviets there really wasn't much of a chance for the allies.
Yeah, without the Soviets to at least keep a large chunk of the Axis army busy, the Allies have little chance.

Last edited: