Does Wind direction effect in-hex flame spread?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a burning wreck is in bypass of a burnable terrain obstacle could the wind force DRM apply to the Spreading Fire DRM to the terrain in that hex? How about In-hex inherent terrain? Maybe I'm just not reading B25.62 correctly, but I can't seem to make out if only a -2DRM applies for not being directly attached or if that is in addition to the Wind Direction DRM for the in-hex determination.

Last edited:

buser333

Reaction score
If a burning wreck is in bypass of a burnable terrain obstacle could the wind force DRM apply to the Spreading Fire DRM to the terrain in that hex? How about In-hex inherent terrain? Maybe I'm just not reading B25.62 correctly, but I can't seem to make out if only a -2DRM applies for not being directly attached or if that is in addition to the Wind Direction DRM for the in-hex determination.
No. I can see how the punctuation would be confusing, but the word "not" applies equally to both the phrase "directly attached to the adjacent terrain" and, by matter of substitution, the phrase "Bypassing the terrain obstacle as opposed to occupying it)."

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I don't think B25.62 is conclusive no matter how you read it.

As an example, imagine a burning wreck in bypass on the south hexside of a building. The wind is a mild breeze due north. Since the wreck is directly upwind from the building, it seems like the wind DRM should apply...

On the other hand, the case of the wreck blaze in brush or a wheatfield is less convincing. Theoretically, only some of the in-hex terrain lies upwind from the blaze while some of it likes downwind (cancelling modifiers?)...

I would prefer that the Mild Breeze DRM applies to wrecks in bypass and I think the RB is at least "suggestive" of this conclusion:

B25.62 The Spreading Fire DR is modified by EC/Wind Direction DRM, and a -2 DRM if the terrain on fire is not directly attached to the adjacent terrain (or the now-burning vehicle was Bypassing the terrain obstacle as opposed to occupying it).​

I am less sure of wrecks in the midst of burnable terrain, though I am inclined to think the DRM shouldn't apply...

Either way, this might be a good one for Perry to take on!

And as more fuel for the fire: there is no Mild Wind DRM listed for fire to spread into the same hex (B25.64 Illustration), though Gusts will spread automatically into own hex...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think B25.62 is conclusive no matter how you read it.

As an example, imagine a burning wreck in bypass on the south hexside of a building. The wind is a mild breeze due north. Since the wreck is directly upwind from the building, it seems like the wind DRM should apply...

On the other hand, the case of the wreck blaze in brush or a wheatfield is less convincing. Theoretically, only some of the in-hex terrain lies upwind from the blaze while some of it likes downwind (cancelling modifiers?)...

I would prefer that the Mild Breeze DRM applies to wrecks in bypass and I think the RB is at least "suggestive" of this conclusion:

B25.62 The Spreading Fire DR is modified by EC/Wind Direction DRM, and a -2 DRM if the terrain on fire is not directly attached to the adjacent terrain (or the now-burning vehicle was Bypassing the terrain obstacle as opposed to occupying it).​

I am less sure of wrecks in the midst of burnable terrain, though I am inclined to think the DRM shouldn't apply...

Either way, this might be a good one for Perry to take on!

And as more fuel for the fire: there is no Mild Wind DRM listed for fire to spread into the same hex (B25.64 Illustration), though Gusts will spread automatically into own hex...
Indeed, it was the Gusts that prompted me to question if the Mild/Heavy Winds DRM applies in-hex initially. I'm leaning towards the yes it does, answer, but then this leads to a series of weird results should the burning wreck in bypass be on the "side" hexspines with regards to wind direction.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any other inputs into this query? After re-reading the B25 rules, I'm now leaning towards the feeling that Busser has it right that a wind direction/force would have no effect on In-Hex Flame spread [EXC:HEAVY WINDS & GUSTS], even for a burning wreck in bypass. However, during Gusts it does seem to allow possible spreading fire to adjacent down-wind location/hex from a Burning Wreck in Bypass, even if that hex would be "blind" to the burning wreck. Is this correct?