Design Question

3 coys covering 600 yards (14.4 hexes) Which would you rather see?

• 3 units with 5 hex gaps x_____x_____x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 units with 1 hex gaps & 1 hex gap between coys x_x__x_x__x_x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 units with 1 hex gap between coys xxxx_xxxx_xxxx

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlAmos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to know how you (plural) would like to see the following situation simulated/portrayed in a EAW scenario...

(doesn't matter when or who is involved)
(companies are in the open)

"3 companies (@ 100 men each) covered 600 yards"

In the EAW scale 600 yards is 14.4 hexes, so would you rather see...

a) The three companies represented by one unit of 100 men each placed on the map with 5 hex gaps between them (13 hexes from left to right)

x_____x_____x​

, or

b) The three companies represented by two units of 50 men each & a leader with a single hex gap between each 50 man unit, and one additional hex between companies 13 hexes from left to right)

x_x__x_x__x_x​

, or

c) The three companies repesented by four units of 25 men each & a leader with a single hex gap between companies (14 hexex from left to right)

xxxx_xxxx_xxxx​

x=unit
_=empty hex

Please stick with the three choices above in voting, as more than three options tends to get confusing.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm on vacation this week and doing scenario design work so vote/comment early, and let your friends know, please. Thanks.

Lohengrin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it would depend on what formation they're supposed to be in. Looks like a skirmish order of some sort. I can't say w/o knowing more -- I've never heard of 18th/19th century commanders deploying like that to cover a stated frontage. They seem to line up their troops in the conventional way and whatever the frontage is, that's what it is.