DC Attempted Use Failed - Recovery

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I'm not sure if you have changed your view after this post, so I'll reply to it in order to clarify things...

Not true...the portage cost has to be calculated before the unit moves in order to know...
a) Can it move...
b) How much can it move...
When there's no intention to move while possessing the SW, there is no reason to calculate the effects of moving it either.

The calculation doesn't require/mandate actual movement.
But unless you intend to move, there is no reason to do the calculation, and if you consider moving but decides not to do it, the portage cost is still not assessed.

Even the interpretation that says you can pick it up but you can't move because the item has already been portage is a part of the portage calculation...which means the item is being portaged...which means you can't even pick the item up.
I really don't understand what you're saying here, so I'll just repeat that a SW is only portaged if MF are expended while possessing it.

Also, there is this..."Portage cost is assessed per item carried, not distance traveled...", no movement is required for the calculation to happen...as soon as it happens a unit is in the act of portaging.
But you are overlooking the actual definition of Portage: "A SW may not move by itself; it must be carried or placed on a vehicle by Infantry/Cavalry at some cost to the latter’s MF allotment.".

If it has not been carried at some MF cost, then it has not been portaged. That is the definition of Portage.

As Bret wrote, if your interpretation was correct, then a SMC could never recover a SW of > 2 PP#. The SMC can, but not expend any MF while possessing it, because only the latter would mean portage.

It just gets so much simpler if you realize the actual definition of portage:

Possessing a SW while expending MF.