(D9.54, A12.3) Dug-in Vehicles and HIP

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the rules were fairly clear on this, but thought it was worth a check nonetheless (since the answer I thought was correct did not, unusually, make intuitive sense).

Can a Dug-in Vehicle set up HIP (like an Emplaced Gun) without an SSR specifically permitting it? I'm talking specifically about ordinary, non-VoTG/RB games.

A12.34 seems fairly clear to me:

An Emplaced (C11.2) non-vehicular Gun and its manning crew/HS [EXC: if possessing a non-inherent SW] may always use HIP . . . .
(Emphasis mine.)

When you add the rules for Armored Cupolas (D9.52):

An Armored Cupola is never eligible for concealment . . . .
and the fact that Dug-In Vehicles is treated as an Armored Cupola except as stated otherwise (D9.54), I have a hard time seeing how they could start HIP.

We are setting up "Dead of Winter," and are wondering whether the German vehicle that is Dug-In in accordance with the SSR may start HIP, or if only the German gun can. It seems odd to me that a Dug-In Vehicle in concealment terrain could not be HIP in the middle of Deep Snow, but the rules do not seem to permit it.

While I'd like to be right (as my opponent is the Germans), I'm willing to be shown to be wrong as well. :)

The rules seem fairly clear that they may not set up HIP, but this thread in particular has left me confused:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=76868

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No HIP for tanks of any kind without an SSR.

Red Barricades and Valor of the Guards have SSRs.