CSME 1.02 - AAR - Battlefields of Old (vs Greg)

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One of my regular PBEM opponents is Greg. He's a very skilled player (more so than I) and always provides some excellent feedback on the scenarios I create.

This will be an overview of a PBEM battle we are currently playing. We are quite a few turns in now, so I'm not worried about sharing anything he might see.

The scenario we're playing is called Battlefields of Old. Those familiar with the North Afican Campaign during World War 2 will see some terrain features that will ring a bell or two. For example:

The situation is a historical one, covering a brief border war between Egypt and Libya. Here is the scenario description:

21 July, 1977
[Jaghbub, Eastern Libya]:[H2H][HIS][CSL]: Relations between Egypt
and Libya became strained after the October War in 1973, with
Egypt slowly trying to find peace with Israel. Libya was one
of the transitions most vocal critics and started a campaign
of harassment along the border during the mid-70's. Almost going
to war in 1976 over the numerous border clashes, Egypt reinforced
the border area with two mechanized infantry divisions as a show
of force. Libya continued to train Egyptian dissidents as terrorists
at several camps throughout Libya and regularly dispatched them
across the border to disrupt the Egyptian regime. Border skirmishes
grew in frequency and intensity finally escalating to the intense
skirmishes in July, 1977. On July 21, Libya conducted another
battalion sized raid in the vicinity of as-Sallum, this time,
the Egyptians were prepared and counterattacked with a large
mechanized force. This scenario depicts the initial raid by the
Libyan 9th Tank Battalion and the subsequent Egyptian counterattack
into Libya. Tank skirmishes broke out over the familiar battlefields
of the North African Campaign of World War Two. [ALL OPT:VV][NONE][1.02]

The map is one of the larger ones included in the Middle East game. Here is a Jump Map view of my starting positions

Sollum is where my headquarters start the scenario. I'll be moving them out towards the border in anticipation of the Libyan moves.

Fort Cappuzo will be one of my first targets. Not too far across the border. You can see that I've started advancing my forces towards the border. I don't know what to expect, so I will be advancing relatively cautiously, as per my usual game play.

I have loaded up all my artillery assets, but have left the SAM systems in place for now. You can see my armoured column on the hard surfaced road.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 2

Here is an overview of the end of turn 2. I have pulled out of Sollum in the east and using the cover of the elevation change to advance those forces. In the center, I am advancing across the desert slowly and have secured the main hard surfaced west-east road, which will help with movement. That shouldn't be a surprise, as I am not expecting to see any Libyans until I cross the border.

Far off to the west is a small oasis that had some troops stationed. You can see a Libyan armoured car at the top of the screen. Unfortunately, I have nothing to take them out here.

Between the oasis and the main area of advance is a terrain feature called Hatiyet el Maalik. I have a reconnaissance battalion advancing towards the border and hopefully onto the dirt road that is on the other side of the border.

Here is a close up of my advance towards Fort Capuzzo, it is north of the edge of the screenshot. I am advancing with elements of an infantry company, hopefully providing me Line of Sight as I close into the fort. With the desert terrain, this will be a slow process.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 3

Off to the west, my reconnaissance battalion is advancing towards the border. I am being fairly aggressive here, not saving a lot of action points for Opportunity Fire with the idea that I'm not expecting too much out here so early in the game.

At Harf el Abaisl, my infantry company is supported by a tank company and will find a whole to cross through the barrier. I have a few 85mm anti-tank guns that I have unloaded that has Line of Sight over the border, in case any Libyan armour comes into view.

Along the main hard surfaced route, I've moved my PT-76 platoons ahead of the main advance, hopefully providing the intelligence I need to make some informed decisions. So far, the advance moves forward as planned.

After Fort Cappuzo, I will head north with most of my force to capture Musaid and Umm Sa'ad. I'm going to split my force here, one heading west, the other heading northwest directly towards Umm Sa'ad, hopefully they can get across the border at the break in the anti-tank ditch north of Bir Carmuidet Hmeid. If all goes well, I will attack Umm Sa'ad with from two sides.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 4

My advance forces have crossed the border into Libya! So far against no resistance, which I'm OK with. The infantry is slow going in this terrain, keeping them mobile seems to be pretty important.

Here is the flanking maneuver as it heads towards Bir Carmuidet Hmeid. Again, so far no contact and using a tank company as my vanguard. I will also send a force along the highway, PT-76's are leading the way. Note that I am checking the low lying terrain as I advance, making sure my flanks are clear and secure.

Here is a 3D view of the advance. You can see how I have my forces spread out, just in case some random artillery finds my columns.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 5

The flank manuever is inching closer to the border. I don't see any Libyan pickets yet, which is giving me some peace of mind. I figured I'd be being hit by tank or missile fire at this point.

The advance south of Fort Cappuzo. My tanks are through the wire and heading to toward the Fort. The infantry are still slogging painfully slow.

My reconnaissance unit in the west has crossed over by a couple of kilometres (almost). So far, so clear!

Here is the overview of the advance towards Fort Cappuzo.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 6

Here is the overview of the advance towards Fort Cappuzo and the end of Turn 6. My advance along the main highway has just crossed into the Libya. From the south, a tank battalion is creeping up to the fort at Scemeida.

Further north I am about to cross into Libya north of Bir Carmuidet Hmeid. I am also leading with a tank battalion here, the infantry following up in their APC's.

Here is a 3D view of how I have organized my attacking force in the north.

The Jump Map view of my present situation.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 7

Here is the end of turn 07, my advance towards to first target. Scemeida was captured without a fight. You can see I am plotting artillery on Fort Cappuzo, hoping to cause some damage before I get there. A minefield has been revealed, so I may have to do some maneuvering.

Here is the 2D view of the advance to Fort Cappuzo. I have unloaded some infantry in preparation for the assault. No Libyan's in view yet, but I suspect they will be coming soon.

Further north, I have crossed into Libya, you can see the target - Musa'id. It is a dense area, so I suspect it will be heavily defended.

Here is a 3D view of the Musa'id.

Here is a zoom level 7 showing where my forces are on the map.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 8

Libyans!! There they are!! Some tanks, some infantry, hovering around Fort Cappuzo. Fire was exchanged and I lost one in exchange for one. My infantry is advancing every so slowly, but at least there is something to head towards! How exciting!

Further to the north, things are still quiet. I am hoping this force goes unnoticed for awhile while I get into position.

To the west, I have run into some reconnaissance vehicles. One of mine was hit and destroyed, taking out my eyes on the far western flank. You can see the highlighted hex where I lost the platoon.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 9

Some Libyan reconnaissance cars in the far west. Unfortunately, I don't have anything that I can take them out over here, but I will keep an eye on what they are up to.

The assault on Fort Cappuzo seems to be going well so far. My artillery is landing where I need it and I am able to advance closer every turn. I should gain a foothold in the fort in a couple turns.

Here is a 3D view of the assault. Two companies of infantry plus a couple battalions of tanks should be enough to do the job.

Further north, all is going well. I have split my force into two. One small battalion sized force will advance north and attempt to cut off the main road from reinforcements while my main assault takes Musa'id and Umm Sa'ad.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm enjoying your account. Did you ever read "Brazen Chariots" by Robert Crisp ? I had a copy years ago. It may be tough to find today, I'll have to check the Library system.
Lou

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The book "Brazen Chariots" by Robert Crisp is available in the Library system...and it's also available on a highly popular sales web site named after a River.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 10

Alas, it appears my side move has been spotted. I will continue with the plan, splitting up this group into two, one heading north, the other to target Umm Sa'ad.

Here is a 3D view of the assault group.

Fort Cappuzo has a new owner. The Libyan's retreated infront of superior forces, which is fine by me!

The minefields to the south of the fort has forced me to move further west than I had hoped, but on the brightside, the tank companies to the southeast of the fort have excellent line of site to what is behind the fort... no surprises!

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a really quick read. I enjoyed the author's style. He had written a book prior to Brazen Chariots about the fighting in Greece prior to the N. African campaigns titled "The Gods Were Neutral". I didn't think that that one was anywhere near as good.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battlefields of Old - Turn 11

My surprise has been assaulted by a Libyan tank company. I have taken some losses and pulled my forces back out of Line of Sight, well, mostly. The other task force is still advancing north to hopefully cut off any resupply.

Here is a 3D view. You can see the burning hulks and my infantry advance. This is an excellent example of how NOT to attack.

The Fort Cappuzo position has been consolidated and I am clearing the roads for an advance north.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're chewing 'em up 'by the numbers'. Are/were the forces approximately equal to start ?

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
They are, although the Egyptians start off more organized than the Libyans. The Libyans have a lot of decisions to make in how they play the scenario, there are many options for them. Some are good, some are bad.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You've certainly demonstrated that.
I commend you for all the work you did in your presentation, too.