Counter Trays

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All:

When I open the counter trays they often take up half the screen. Plus the text part delineating the different categories is almost closed. I can resize everything but the next time I open the tray I have to do it all over again. Preferred the way it was in earlier versions.

Using 5.7. I think this where this issue started for me.

Anyone else have this problem? (Problem being a relative term of course - what an awesome gaming tool).

Thanks,

Gerry

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi Gerry,

i know this is a PITA, it's been around for awhile. Java has the ability to remember where you've placed & sized the various dialogs, but has no 'hooks' to the internal divisions of the ctr-tray lists, so the developers don't have any tools to control them.

re-reading your post, i think there's a prob w/ your install, b/c it should remember the size/location of ALL the dlogs from their last-used positions, that is, their sizes/positions from when you last closed VASL. Do you have more than one 'VASSAL' location on your box?

Last edited:

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Counterman:

VASL works but is messed up. Even though I have tried a fresh install I still get 3 error messages. One is "Unable to create class VASSAL.build.ExtensionElement in data archive.
Could not find terrain in Tabbed Panel"

1) Do I need Vassal to run Vasl?

2) I suppose I should erase everything Vassal and Vasl and redo. (I may have a few occurrences of each.). One thing I do not like is how the installer seems to put it some place w/o asking where to put it.

3) Where are the extensions located now we are on GameSquad?

Thanks so much,

Gerry

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Hello Counterman:

VASL works but is messed up. Even though I have tried a fresh install I still get 3 error messages. One is "Unable to create class VASSAL.build.ExtensionElement in data archive.
Could not find terrain in Tabbed Panel"

1) Do I need Vassal to run Vasl?

2) I suppose I should erase everything Vassal and Vasl and redo. (I may have a few occurrences of each.). One thing I do not like is how the installer seems to put it some place w/o asking where to put it.

3) Where are the extensions located now we are on GameSquad?

Thanks so much,

Gerry
That error-msg prob'ly refers to an *old* extension that is neither needed nor compatible w/ the current VASL ctr-tray design. W/o specifics, I can't be more helpful.

1) If your only interest is in playing VASL, you don't need a separate VASSAL d/l. Many other games have been VASSALized, most of those require that you start VASSAL & then load that game-specific 'modfile'. But to play VASL, you only need to start VASL (unless you want to get into editing/modding/creating extensions for it). Unlike those other games, a 'VASL install' will also include all the neccessary 'VASSAL' files, w/o the need for a separate 'VASSAL' d/l.

2) The base location for a VASL install is detemined (if you're running a WinOS) by where you tell it to make the VASSAL dir. It's been so long since I've done that, I can't reliably tell you what to do! But this basic choice will locate the presence of several neccessary user-files, one is called 'Preferences', there are others named 'errorLog' & 'temp<N>.zip'. IMO, you've got a coupla' different installs, & the one you've been using is different than the one where those 3 files are stored, hence its inability to remember your dlog sizes/positions. There's also the location of your Java cache, where the d/l'd VASL/VASSAL files are stored - best not to mess w/ that unless you're fairly savvy. Another thing is that you might need to adjust your Win Explorer to 'show hidden/system files' in order to see the whole story. VASL/VASSAL makes no system Registry changes, so there's no need to worry about the Win Registry when you delete your VASL/VASSAL. It's a different story w/ any Java install you might have made, but it shouldn't be neccessary to delete your Java.

3) There's no reliable location for Extensions downloads. 'Cos I don't have a website, & already have enough to do w/o maintaining one. Extensions are 'semi-official', & you've gotta learn what they are & what they do by being a user. You'll find them posted here, & at the vaslmapcabal Files section, but the best source is your current opponent, who might have some stuff that he will send to you on request. Your 'local' extensions must be stored in a defined dir that you create in VASL's File > Edit Preferences - similar to telling it where your boards are located. Your extensions dir should contain only '*.mdx' files - nothing else.

hth, post again if you need more advice.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The window location issues have been around for awhile, but the reason I get them is due to the second monitor. If I close the window on the second monitor (not the main monitor), java doesn't like the x,y location and likes to cram it into the edge of the screen of the main monitor instead.

I just move them all back to the main monitor and close them there. Seems to work for me.