Corregidor CGII

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bounding Fire Productions recently released their product covering Corregidor , and my buddy Dave Coleman and I decided to play CGII. Dave and I usually meet on Sunday afternoons to play ASL, and we tend to play campaign games. We were interested in trying CG II because we both thought that it represented something different in the ASL world…a Japanese vs. American Army campaign. Dave will play the Americans and I will play the Japanese.
The Japanese have several restrictions placed upon them that make setting up a defense a bit more challenging than the Japanese may be used to. The Japanese are not allowed to use any HIP during the initial scenario (probably the most painful restriction), may not setup within 7 hexes of hex JJ17 (the Parade Grounds), and have only one company of infantry with MG support on board. They do get another company of infantry entering as reinforcements on turn 3, along with a platoon of half-tracks…which are actually fully tracked APC’s, and quite helpful in delivering reinforcements (as we shall see later). In addition, the Japanese receive 300 FPP’s to spend to help them plan for the long game. The Americans enter via air-drop over the first three turns with a total of three companies of infantry, a HW sections (machine guns), a section of 75mm howitzers, a section of 81mm mortars, and a heavy NOBA module.
The Japanese are faced with a number of choices for their set up, all of which feel like they are woefully inadequate when looking at the amount of territory in play and the strength of the Americans. The campaign game victory conditions give various points to different locations controlled, as well as damage/destruction of aircraft. The Japanese have several decision to make at the beginning of the game, but these decision must be made in the light of very limited forces at start. The Japanese do not have enough troops to occupy all of the areas that they need to defend, and they have to try to guess where the Americans will attempt to land. This is tempered with the knowledge that the Americans will begin to enter ground troops from the East edge beginning with the second scenario, and strong firepower in the form of NOBA and 7-4-7’s with a lot of support weapons.
I will not go into my FPP purchases yet as I know that Dave will be reading this, and I will not give him any free intel. I will say that while 300 FPP’s sound like a lot, the Japanese player will quickly be wanting more, and the limitations of no HIP and setting up in/adjacent to building/rubble locations for the first scenario is frustratingly debilitating…you will have to dive much deeper into the Japanese bag of tricks for the first scenario set up. I came up with several different ideas for set ups, each that had its own merits, but I eventually settled on the one that I felt had the best chances to succeed. What I would not have given for another company of infantry…and some HIP!!! It was painful to give up as much territory as I did, but I concentrated my forces to the Eastern half of the map to defend more of the buildings. I placed concentrations of troops around the Base Hospital, NCO Quarters, Officer’s Quarters near the Lighthouse, and those portions of the Topside Barracks that I could set up in.
I will try to attach pictures of the Japanese set up.

Semper Fi!
Scott