Cool PC game stories

The_Tactician

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're like me, you end up pestering your family and sharing all the event of your wargame as often and as detailed as if you were a newspaper. I also enjoy listening to stuff like that, so I thought it'd be cool for anybody who wanted to to share a cool story from a PC game they played.

Mine is a time I was commanding a small French force in Medieval: Total War. Backround: I had been invading the Holy Roman Empire and on the computer's turn they counter attacked my weakest force. Anyway, what ended up happening, was my main infantry and mercenary troops were routed after they got reinforcements. My mercs made some good comebacks and were able to destroy enough of the enemy to the point where the strongest unit they had was a unit of Fuedal Sargents. So the only units I had left were two groups of archers. As the Fuedal Sargents charged up the hill, my volleys were fierce enough to push them back, but then they came back and I ran out of arrows. So I did what any desperate general would do. I charged down the hill right into them. The only advantage I had was numbers and momentum. They should have made short work of my archer, but I was able to send them into retreat. They fell back into the wood and came back at me. Again they should have slaughtered my archers, but I killed over two score of them and then they ran all the way off of the map.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Chasing people from the battlefield is always good. I tried to do a similar thing to my friend a week or so ago in a Combat Mission game but he surrendered instead and denied me my rightful slaughter!

There is a previous thread on favourite video game experiences kicking around:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2383

I'm also doing a running commentary on a Combat Mission game in this one, which is quite fun to do:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4165

Dr. S.

Jorath13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really old game

So old it was new for my Apple IIc computer. Microprose made a series of strategic WW2 games for the PC, Apple, and Commodore, one of which was a D-Day simulation. I forget the exact name right now, but it took you from the first hour to just before Operation Market Garden. It was a very long game, taking several days of marathon gaming sessions to complete. But it was cool, having a scale comparable to Avalon Hill's The Longest Delay (Day). I was playing the Allies and pushing in great strides but sustaining great losses. Having completed all my objectives well ahead of schedule I was pushing hard for Paris as well as ripping into the south of France with the British stalemating around Caen. All of a sudden in my unprotected western rear comes charging some German armor and infantry.

Seems the computer couldn't take into account any gains a human opponent would make ahead of the historical reinforcement schedule. These units were in western France during the invasion and kept there until the Allies were knocking on Paris' door. Foolish me, I forgot my history and assumed these units would never materialize. Fortunately I had several units in reserve as well as many off the front lines resting and recouping...

Great game and one I wish was remade for the PC today in the same vein as Matrix Games' War in the Pacific.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a CMBB battle I had with a long time PBEM opponent, I was the Germans trying to hold off a wave of Soviet tanks and troops. I had a Panther that held off a wave of tanks and armored cars alone. It took out several tanks and armored cars before it was hit several times and finally was knocked out.

It made my opponent hold off his push and I was able to get my 3 Jagdpanthers in position to stop the push for good.

I loved that Panther crew!!!

BigMik1

Jorath13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Close Combat

Truly the best wargame means PC idea ever, Close Combat 1 featured the Normandy invasion with mostly hedgerow combat. I remember I had a regular infantry squad positioned just inside an orchard covering a W/E road, expecting enemy infantry to come to them from the West. In backup was a bazooka team as intelligence figured there might be some armor support. Instead, I had place the bazooka team badly as the enemy armor came in further south then expected, tearing through the fields.

Irregardless, all I had covering this road was the squad and baz team. Coming down the road must've been the entire German army! Two hours of feverish combat later with nearly the entire squad decimated (only the Sgt with a Thompson and a Private with a bolt-action rifle) and out of ammo (I'm cursing their inability to pick up their comrade's weapons lying next to them!) and the situation looking very grim, the Germans withdraw due to morale loss. Looking over the battlefield, I must've sustained more losses than they, I just never gave up an inch of ground!