Confusion regarding Locations, Trenches, and Mandatory Firegroups

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, here's the situation.

German player has an MMC (call it "MMC1") with an LMG and a 9-1 leader outside of a Trench, and another MMC (call it "MMC2") inside the Trench. All of these are in the same hex.

We looked at the Location definition for purposes of mandatory firegroups (after having already looked at it for determining whether a unit can Assault Move out of a Trench and into another hex - we determined it could, but could be shot in the Trench Hex with Defensive Fire and then again in the hex it moves to, but that's another story).

We are now a bit confused by the Location definition. "[A] hex as well as any of the following sub-divisions of that hex: sewer, upper or lower building or bridge level, pillbox, cave. . . ."

We had always thought, from the Chapter B definition regarding buildings, that each level of a building was a different "Location." We still kind of do, but find it odd that the "Location" definition would say it is the hex as well as upper or lower building subdivisions of the hex.

Anyway, we'd like to verify that answer, but the real question is the units in the Trench and out of the Trench, per the example above. As a Trench does not create a different Location within the hex (per B27.1 for Foxholes, applies to Trenches per 27.5, would all of the units in the above example have to mandatory firegroup together if they are firing at the same target in the same phase, per A7.55?

We think by the rules they do, but want to verify, as it did not feel quite "right" (but we'll live with it anyway if that is the right answer, we just want to get it correct).

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have a look at A2.8, where it defines in more detail what a Location is.

"Each hex contains one Location unless, ... [an] upper building level creates one or more additional Locations within that hex."

"Entrenchments ... are not considered different Locations within the hex they occupy."

Being in the same Location, Mandatory FG applies.

But you know me, I take things literally. :devious:

Bruce

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have a look at A2.8, where it defines in more detail what a Location is.

"Each hex contains one Location unless, unless... [an] upper building level creates one or more additional Locations within that hex."

"Entrenchments ... are not considered different Locations within the hex they occupy."

Being in the same Location, Mandatory FG applies.

But you me, I take things literally. :devious:

Bruce
Makes sense to me. For some reason, my brain flipped when reading the definition that a Location is a hex as well as upper and lower building levels of that hex to mean that the hex plus upper and lower building levels were inclusive as one Location.

To show you a peace offering and show you that rules writing can drive me batty as well :), I'd suggest that it would be a bit clearer (though I do not think it is currently "wrong" as written) if it were rephrased to make clear in the definition that the "as well as" and "that hex" were not inclusive to make all of those sub-parts one Location within the hex. Something like, "a hex; the following sub-divisions of a hex are separate 'Locations': sewer, upper or lower building or bridge level, pillbox, cave)."

But anyway, the Trench question is the biggie here, and I'm glad we got it plus the building Location thing right, even though we second-guessed ourselves.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh hey, I think the definition is a little... awkwardly worded.

That's why I directed you to A2.8, and avoided the definition altogether.