CMBO- Final Round (6) "3 Months in France"

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi Kevin,

Look in the pub I'll bet you find them there ;)

-Malm ;)

Hint: Don't look for any steel this time :)

"U" street connected to Walkingstreet ;)

Last edited:

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for reinforcements. My games have been meat grinders.

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Spoiler

I am not as happy with my allied engineering reinforcement as I am with my two new Stugs. It will takes for ever marching them to the front (meaning more waypoints 4 me to place). Ofcause if facing an axis opponent whoes playing aggresive they could get handy in securing already taken objectives to the rear. (Did you read that Full Monty?)

I am also a bit doubtful in what to do with those halftrack flamers. Maybe I just set every tree on fire ;)

Last edited:

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
Palantir said:
Hmmm, send me the turn / side and I'll let you know what's going on.
Kerry
I eventually found a platoon of infantry about half way down my right flank skulking behind some buildings! Talk about obscure!!:laugh:

Thanks for the offer Kerry.:)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:eek:
Ummm I think this tourney was supposed to end 4/1... :halo:

I guess we'll push it to 4/30 at least since so few games have been completed. :)

Whats the status of the on going matches?

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ummm, well.....Bruce and I are a little over halfway through, if I recall. It's been a fun game, but the past four months has been difficult to get regular turns in, for both sides.

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Palantir said:
:eek:
Ummm I think this tourney was supposed to end 4/1... :halo:

I guess we'll push it to 4/30 at least since so few games have been completed. :)

Whats the status of the on going matches?
After digging up the originally gamefile I am stunned to learn that this is all true. I thought that Full Monty and I had a steady consistence gameflow not lacking behind and we are only at turn 19. Frankly speaking I think that the originally deadline was unrealistic and I'am not too fun of the new one either :OHNO:

-

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce and I have ended at about the same spot as Malm and Monty. We are in the process of negoitiating mutual cease fire. I will offer my complements to Bruce, though. He did a fine job on both attack and defensive games, managing to box me in and press the advantage. I think the outcome will be quite favorable for him this time around.

This was a very fun and challenging scenario. As I pointed out earlier, the one big problem that I have to gripe about is the ability to move my troops safely between buildings. They more often than not needed to run out into enemy fire to carry out my orders, and I had no way of knowing beforehand how they were going to proceed.

Maybe this is a question to be brought up in a new thread, eh?

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
airBiscuit said:
..the one big problem that I have to gripe about is the ability to move my troops safely between buildings. They more often than not needed to run out into enemy fire to carry out my orders, and I had no way of knowing beforehand how they were going to proceed.

Maybe this is a question to be brought up in a new thread, eh?
Occasionally - when I had spend effort on micromanaging waypoints by placing them out of buildings to a spot where I wanted them - I had found that the AI had calculated a brand-new rute for them.

I think that in some circumstance the building itself does not alow you to enter or leave using that particularly rute of yours. Maybe the unit itself - in a breif of a moment are out of contact with their HQ?

In an urban area I usually keep my squads very tight. When entering or leaving a building I fun placing waypoints close on each side of the wall. Also I always leave a building before entering a new. Having units on the roof - I place at least one waypoint on the floor before leaving. At all time - try to keep your units in contact with their HQ - moving them altogether.

My guess is that the trick is to prevent the AI from calculating a new route which happens when it can no longer process the preplanned one or, your units are out of contact or - they are taking fire.

-

Last edited:

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input, Malm. I suspect, though, that it has to do with the nature of the buildings themselves. They don't have doors on all sides. You can have two buildings squashed against each other and you can't move interally from one building to the next. This is realistic, yes, but in the interest of moving my troops the most sensible way, I want to know in advance just where the doorways actually are so I can plan a safe route, or abort the attempt at all.

I tried one approach, which was to set their movement to Sneak, which would have them move really slow and then the AI would tell me the next turn where they planned on moving. However, Sneak was just fast enough that they snuck right out into the open, drawing fire from two or three squads.

Maybe another trick would be to set Pause to the maximum value, and then set Sneak or Crawl, and see if the troops will get started just enough that the next orders phase I can see what the AI has in store for my troopers.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing like setting 1-2 simple "move into building" orders and next turn see 20 waypoints and your guys running around like headless chickens.

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Yeah probaly nothing you hadn't tried before and only the designer knows the exact locations of them doors ;)

As I can see we both fun experimenting with them buildings. What I am unsure of is the designer's overall caluculation of the time we spend doing so. However - if we flip over each and every chair we meet on our path to victory we both may lack the needed time to securing them goals :D

Good luck

-

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Palantir said:
Nothing like setting 1-2 simple "move into building" orders and next turn see 20 waypoints and your guys running around like headless chickens.
Well - in a real war situation I honestly think that did happend - especially doing WWII in Paris. Wanna have bread, wanna have chease, wanna have wine, wanna have 6. What took you guys so long?

Maybe this is not an AI issue but more a well meant realistic feature :D

-

Last edited:

Malm

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Almost done

Hi K,

Full Monty and I are almost done with Paris - only two more turns to go.

For me this tournament has been awesome. Ofcause - while I've not being amoung those gamers entering the starting field - I can only comment those scenarios I've being combating. However the bottom line is that 3MIF has been a fun entertainment and amoung the greatest ever - atleast for me :D

Thanks alot,
-Malm

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, after almost two years to the day, 3MiF is wrapping up. Bruce and I have finished our games, each seeing a victory for the Axis. It would seem that the French were going to have a long haul to liberate their homeland.

This tournament was great fun and I tip my hat to Kerry for seeing it through all the way. It's easy to come up with an idea, less easy to get it started, and hard to sustain it to the very end. I am glad to have been a part of it.

I now hear men on the march once again. I guess I better go fall in line and see where the column takes me.

:salute:

Boff

Reaction score
Country
ll
CMBO tourney

Is that it?
Are we there yet?
Who won? (as if I can't guess..) :rolleyes: