CMAK Cross Club Armored Joust! Sign Ups!

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
ER_Chaser said:
hehe.. my favorite weapon against Tiger ---- infantry! :)
That's right, zooks and flamethrowers can do ugly things to the kitties.The problem is that we are talking about an _armored_ joust. :devious: .

Artur.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Artur said:
That's right, zooks and flamethrowers can do ugly things to the kitties.The problem is that we are talking about an _armored_ joust. :devious: .

Artur.
Oh, armored joust means ... tank only games? Well, if really so, what kind of boring battles that will be?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ER_Chaser said:
Oh, armored joust means ... tank only games? Well, if really so, what kind of boring battles that will be?
Yeah, we need to see our opponents burning to death.

Question - do we get to pick our preferred nation? Or do we all play as one side - Axis/vs. Allied?

Dr. S.

Vulture(FGM)

Reaction score
Country
ll
ER_Chaser said:

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Such a boring concept that the 2nd tournament just finishing had 4 different clubs playing and a total of 84 players.

Vulture(FGM)

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't take it personally Vulture. A pure armor battle is a great way for that many players to duel across clubs. This is an armored joust after all...ER ;) :p

Vulture(FGM)

Reaction score
Country
ll
NORAD said:
Vulture we are a tad bit over 12. Is the team size set at 12, or will we be able to field 13 to get KG Panther into play?

Also we may get more. If we get 10 more players interested we might be able to do 2 teams of 12... What say you gentlemen? Any more takers?

Here is the list so far in the order that you posted on this thread. Please let me know ASAP if you can NOT play.

1) The Purist
2) Mephisto
3) Artur
4) Dr. Sinister
5) Redwolf
6) Boff
7) BigMik1
8) Scipio
9) JVS Fugitive
10) Osvold
11) Yohajin
12) GAZ NZ

13) KG Panther
14) NORAD

Norad

The teams are set at 12 players. Please E-Mail me when you have a moment with the relevent players E-Mail addresses. Will you be the team Captain, or will one of the players ?

BTW, I've completed a major expansion of the web site tonight. :D

http://www.667.hab.dsl.pipex.com/Wargaming/CM/2004-Armoured-Joust-CMAK/2004-Armoured-Joust-CMAK-Homepage.html

Cheers

Vulture

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Vulture(FGM) said:
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Such a boring concept that the 2nd tournament just finishing had 4 different clubs playing and a total of 84 players.

Vulture(FGM)
LoL ... Vulture, and Mike, I wasn't "personal" for sure :) .. Yet, I was serious :p ... Is it really tank only? i.e., every unit on map must be a tank or at least tracked fighting vehicles?

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No worries ER...

I know you weren't personal ER :D but calling our guests tournament boring is not exactly hospitible either :p. Guess you don't play Kursk scenarios too much in CMBB eh...considering your aversion to tank combat :laugh: :cheeky:

Just playing around...indeed ER it is Pure Armor.

Vulture I will get you the players email shortly.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Team Captain.

So who in the lucky 12 wants to be a team captain. Basically your job would be to keep in touch with all the players to ensure all is progressing smoothly... Any Takers?

:nofear:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
NORAD said:
I know you weren't personal ER :D but calling our guests tournament boring is not exactly hospitible either :p. Guess you don't play Kursk scenarios too much in CMBB eh...considering your aversion to tank combat :laugh: :cheeky:

Just playing around...indeed ER it is Pure Armor.

Vulture I will get you the players email shortly.
LoL ... I do not intend to call our "guest" boring :D ... honestly I did not even dream about a setup with tank only for tourney. Combined arms was the soul developed during WWII ---- a balance of forces proved to be superior than any monotonic array of weapons (be it tanks or cannons..). So I did think pure tank things were boring. Well, that is for me, I am not saying it is boring for others :D ...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"BTW my Tiger was once killed by a Firefy in a French scenario in CMAK"

Artur,
...that must have been a special edited OoB. I have tried every way I could but the best I could come up with in a QB for the Brits in 9/44 is the Sherman IIA (US 76mm), similar to the M4a3(76) and the Wolverine (M10 TD). It looks like the choices are more restricted than in France, which is as it should be.

Here are a few quick picks (very quick) at 3000 pts from CMAK.

Brit - 9/42; 12 M3 Grant, 18 Valentine VIII
German - 9/42; 10 Pz IVG, 12 Pz IIIJ(late)

Now here are some picks from 9/44

Brit - 9/44; 24 Sherman III, 1 Stuart VI
US - 9/44; 15 M4a3, 5 M4a3(76), 4 M10 TD
German - 9/44; 4 Pz VIE, 5 Pz VG, 4 StuG IIIG(late)

Not definitive picks by any means but you can see why I favour a 1942 battle. A canny German could put upwards of 20 Mk IVs or even as many as 24 StuG IIIs out there to challenge the allies one-to-one. The pick with the big cats only reduces the odds to one-to-two but greatly increases German survivability and killing power. The Brits are the worst off, the Sherman IIA is very expensive (260 points+) as is the Wolverine. Both vehicles are cheaper for the US as availability is higher.

Ok,...I've put forward my argument for late 1942. I leave it to the "Joust Master" to make the final decision.

Cheers.

Vulture(FGM)

Reaction score
Country
ll
DRAFT Map Available To Playtest

The Purist said:
Ok,...I've put forward my argument for late 1942. I leave it to the "Joust Master" to make the final decision.

Cheers.

Purist

Okay, I'm warming to the idea of it being a late 1942 bash. :cool:
I've uploaded a proposed map that one of the players has kindly generated for the Joust. The terrain is quite interesting, but perhaps not to typical for 1942, but provided the map works I'm not too bothered about that.

Would appreciate any constructive feedback on it, (e.g. position of flags and their value) and a definate suggestion for the month in 1942 to go firm with.

Cheers

Vulture

Vulture(FGM)

Reaction score
Country
ll
ER_Chaser said:
LoL ... I do not intend to call our "guest" boring :D ... honestly I did not even dream about a setup with tank only for tourney. Combined arms was the soul developed during WWII ---- a balance of forces proved to be superior than any monotonic array of weapons (be it tanks or cannons..). So I did think pure tank things were boring. Well, that is for me, I am not saying it is boring for others :D ...

ER, the reason I decided to run it as pure armour was to give some light-hearted variation from the 'vanilla' combined arms tournaments. The concept is of course not up everyones street, but it allows players to use large scale armoured formations the mix of which is pretty much entirely up to them. For instance in the CMBB Joust one player took an entire Stug battalion. :laugh: (and did quite well from what I recall)

Anyway enough of my ramblings.........

Vulture

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
A Call to Arms!!!

WHQ'ers,

The gauntlet has been thrown at our feet, our opponents line the heights around and about us. Yea, though their numbers seem great and their armour thick we shall fear not. Don your armour, mount your chariots!! Form line of battle!!!

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory - victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; without victory, there is no survival."

So steel yourselves to the fight! Let no man fail in his duty or abandon his honour. We fight not for empire or glory but for hearth and home, our women and our children! Put your backs to the north wind, the barbarians approach! Draw your broadswords, raise your crosses of gold and your talismans that they might strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. Drive them into the sea and back to their black and pestilent lands, leave none alive who would rob of our lives, our lands,... our freedom.

Verily I say unto you that victory shall be ours because our resolve is unshakable, our cause just and hearts pure. Aim true! Strike hard! Drive your steel tipped lances into their very hearts so that they might burst into flame and be sent hence into oblivion!

This message brought to you by the Schizophrenic and Self Delusional Society of Planet Earth

Last edited:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Vulture(FGM) said:
ER, the reason I decided to run it as pure armour was to give some light-hearted variation from the 'vanilla' combined arms tournaments. The concept is of course not up everyones street, but it allows players to use large scale armoured formations the mix of which is pretty much entirely up to them. For instance in the CMBB Joust one player took an entire Stug battalion. :laugh: (and did quite well from what I recall)

Anyway enough of my ramblings.........

Vulture
Thanks buddy, for the nice explanation of the idea. :)

True, the only battle like that I could recall in my knowledge was a morning clash at Kursk 43. Even the brits at Tobruk (when they sticked to pure armor formations) seemed to have sort of artillery support at least and Rommel used those 88mm's to the fame ..

It will be fun to look at the results... esp. that of Scipio's (comparing to others :D )

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Firming the date

"a definate suggestion for the month in 1942 to go firm with."

Two things that might be worth considering:

1) 10/42 would allow the British purchase of Shermans, not available in 9/42, if I recall correctly. These can challenge the PzKw IVF2/G.

and

2) 12/42 would allow the entry of US forces and limited (VERY limited) use of the early PzKw VIE. However, the Tiger is so powerful at this point of the war that it could be left out. Also, I'm not sure if the Germans even have the choice but StuG IIIs should also be banned (not used in Africa).

Edit: I will try downloading the map tonight and give you my 2p in a seperate post.

Last edited:

Vulture(FGM)

Reaction score
Country
ll
The Purist said:
"a definate suggestion for the month in 1942 to go firm with."

Two things that might be worth considering:

1) 10/42 would allow the British purchase of Shermans, not available in 9/42, if I recall correctly. These can challenge the PzKw IVF2/G.

I like the idea of pitching it in 10/42. I'll adjust the web site to reflect that as the 'most likely' timescale this stage.

Any feedback on the map guys ?

As a general update, the The Polish ladder already have 2 teams recruited and are hoping to field a 3rd so I'm told :surprise: The Blitz teams are filling up slowly.

Cheers

Vulture

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Vulture(FGM) said:
Any feedback on the map guys ?
Wow! That is an extreme map! It looks like Tatooine...just needs a Jawa Sandcrawler to complete the picture. :D

Looks like it will be a lot of fun to play!

Dr. S.