Changing CA in PFPh and AA Defense (E7.5 and C3.22)

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

The scenario I'm playing includes enemy air support. In my PFPh, I sense an imminent air attack, and I use E7.5 AA Fire to change my AA gun's CA (direction and AA status [1]). In my immediate MPh, will I incur an adverse DRM for changing my CA as I defend against the enemy air attack? Similarly, IFE aside, will I incur a reduction in ROF (E7.5)? C3.22 references the benefit of avoiding the Case A DRM in the AFPh but does not mention AA fire during one's MPh [2]. Maybe the lack of a mention simply relates to when chapters A and E were written.

Cheers,

[1] "E7.5 AA Fire . . . An AA-capable weapon's AA mode can also be changed at the end of any fire phase (not MPh) in which that weapon can/does change its CA as per the first sentence of C3.22 (even if it is not a Gun)."

[2] "C3.22 Changing CA Without Fire . . . Such a change in the PFPh . . . does not prevent that Gun from attacking in the AFPh—presumably now without any Case A DRM."

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Case A only applies to fire in the same phase as the CA change. There is accordingly no Case A penalty for firing in the MPh/opponent’s DFPh.
Similarly, there is no reduction of ROF specified in the rules for firing in a subsequent MPh/DFPh so COWTRA suggests that there is no penalty. Of course, ROF in the AFPh will be affected in the usual way if there is an attack against a ground target.