Can´t see his units in PBEM

fbscheuer

Reaction score
(This is from a newbie playing his first turn of his first PBEM)

So it is my first PBEM and I open the first log file sent by my opponent. But to my dismay I cant see his units. The log reports that a Pz III moves from this hex to that, but no counter appear. Same thing with his infantry. I DO see his smoke, OBA-counters and even CX and "?".

Is this a known problem? What should I do?

Thanks
Fredrik

asler

Reaction score
I've run into similar problems - but not as extensive. Each time it was an issue have needing to update my vasl counters - I had an earlier version of the counters then my opponent and they wouldn't show up if VASL auto-updated.

Chris

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks will try that.

Where do I update my counters??
Try to install VASL 5.8 and change your old counters on the board with the brand new ones taken from the counter tray.
Note that Boards and overlays should be ok and work properly even if they are old.

fbscheuer

Reaction score
But I already have 5.8, never used anything else.

OTH I am not sure I am handling Extensions correctly. How should I do that?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
But I already have 5.8, never used anything else.

OTH I am not sure I am handling Extensions correctly. How should I do that?

You need to put your extensions into one directory and then specify that directory under "File->Edit_Preferences->Extensions>" from the
VASL controls command bar.

Can you select, put on the board and see units of your own from the "counters" tray? If you can select and see units from your Counters window and you can't see his....that is just weird. I'd uninstall VASL and re-install from the web page if that is the case.

fbscheuer

Reaction score
If you can select and see units from your Counters window and you can't see his....that is just weird. I'd uninstall VASL and re-install from the web page if that is the case.

That is exactly the case. What is even more weird is that I can see his "?" and CX counters, as well as OBA and smoke, but NOT his units (like squads and tanks).

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
That is exactly the case. What is even more weird is that I can see his "?" and CX counters, as well as OBA and smoke, but NOT his units (like squads and tanks).
You both might want to re-install? Or make sure you both have the same basic extensions?

Can you see counters from some other person? It could be his system? Are his units just blank on your screen?

You might try to log into the VASL server and try to synch on an existing game?

Just friggin' wierd.....

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Make sure that your opponent is using the same version of VASL. Use 5.8.1.

fbscheuer

Reaction score
Thank you for your efforts. But it turned out that it was the human factor. Loaded my saved game and THEN his log file instead of his log file right away. Duh!

That is a mistake you only make once, fortunately.