BV Reprint

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Perry said on Consimworld today, regarding the reprint of BV:

We can’t afford to re-print Beyond Valor right now. With the cost of mounted mapboards being so high, we are not sure how many people would even be interested in BV at a price which would not lose us money on the transaction.

We continue to explore other avenues for getting the Beyond Valor counters, maps, and scenarios into your hands, either separately or in some combination. However, it may turn out that we just need to save our pennies till we can afford to re-print BV.

We are eager to sell as much ASL to as many people as we can, and we are frustrated by our inability to accommodate you in that regard.

We realize that many players are even more frustrated about this than we are. We apologize for not being able to accommodate you. We hope before too to be able to sell you all the ASL you want. I just don’t know when that will be.
But then Brian went on to raise the possibility of reprinting modules with the new "Columbia style" mapboards which are going to be included in the ASL Starter kit which comes out next month:

Why? I can do 8 "columbia style" ASL maps for the cost of 1 mounted mapboard. And they'd probably weigh less too. Many of our reprint issues go away if those maps work, and we decide to use them.
So what do you think? Is this a winner? Considering the new price for mounted mapboards at $12 a board, and the $$ this adds to the cost of modules for attracting new players to our hobby, is this the answer? If Brian can print 8 for the cost of 1, that would bring the price down to around $1.50 a board... or in other terms... $6 for the BV maps, rather than $48, which should make BV quite affordable for the ASL beginner.

And has anyone here on Warefare HQ had any experience with using boards like this? How have you found them? Is this a viable solution for ASL to move ahead?

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
And has anyone here on Warefare HQ had any experience with using boards like this? How have you found them? Is this a viable solution for ASL to move ahead?
Damn, beat me to it. I'd like to see this feedback. Does anyone here have any experience with the aforementioned boards, and can you offer some observations here?

How woul you feel if we went to this style mapboard for the whole system?

Keith

Last edited:

Brad Knoll

Eagerly awaiting UF 2000
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Keith,

Unmounted is the way to go. I wish all my boards were unmounted. I'll have to save my hobby money for a little while to grab a set. I have a few and I prefer them (once I laminated them). I am especcially for it, if it means the reprint will happen.

Brad

Last edited:

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The mounted boards look very nice, and are a labour of love. Unfortunately, labour these days is very costly. If the mounted boards are too expensive, then it's time to move on.

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there is a chance of getting all the boards in the same color (some boards being so wildly green compared to others) with hexgrids that match up perfectly....I'm all for that! If unmounted is the way to achieve this, whether through cost (making the project justifiable) or just the fact that the boards line up better because there is no "boarder", then that is fine with me. While your printing, how about a set of boards in winter white...........................! Or, Winter Action packs that come with a couple winter boards in each.

Hams

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally Posted by Ichibrothers

While your printing, how about a set of boards in winter white...........................! Or, Winter Action packs that come with a couple winter boards in each.
Or two sided boards with one side summer and the other winter?

I'm unsure what "Columbia style" mapboards are like though I have used many non-wargames with various types of boards (Age of Steam, Game of Thrones, Settlers and Formula De etc) and they all serve their purpose well. The only time the quality of the boards is refered to is during the inital opening and play of the game.

Still I guess it's only 3-4 weeks until the ASL Starter Kit #1 starts shipping so I'll see the new board style then...

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That you will. The rulebook for the ASLSK went to the printers Monday. We were going to do Black and White for the rulebook, but then we decided to go full color. Looks better, we didn't budget for it, but we're not going to change the price. We just thought a color quality rulebook would make a better impression.

The more I hear about the CG-style boards, the more I like them.

Keith

Priest

Reaction score
I haven't used the "Columbia style" boards, but, would be willing to give them a try. BTW what do the "Columbia style" boards look like anyway.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Basically, Coumbia style boards (CSGs) have the board art printed directly onto card stock. They aren't printed and then mounted to a folding board like the current issue. Supposed to be slightly thinner and probably lighter. The game surface, from what I understand, essentially looks the same as what you have now. These are MUCH cheaper to produce than the standard boards, like 1/8th the cost.

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Keith,

Is there a border like on the mounted versions or does that map art go right to the edge of the cardstock so that when you butt 2 or more maps up to eachother it creates a seamlessly larger map?

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Birdgunner said:
Keith,

Is there a border like on the mounted versions or does that map art go right to the edge of the cardstock so that when you butt 2 or more maps up to eachother it creates a seamlessly larger map?
Good question. I honestly don't know, because I haven't seen one yet. I'll find out. :cheeky:

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
These boards sound like a nice compromise of price and quality. Its obivous the old boards are making ASL a very expensive choice of wargame and I'm not a huge fan of paper maps. I'll be looking forward to seeing the ones in the ASLSK1.