BtB 5 Martinville Ridge

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Rich and I played this today, Rich was the Americans and I was the Germans. The Germans won handily by turn 5 due to a decent placement of the bombardment (hex R5) and the American up front defense, but I do not belive this one to be one sided as others have said. I think a big mistake I see alot of American players doing is setting up front and in suspect bombardment hexes.
As the Germans I came on board between p10 and v10, at first I thought the green bloches were shell holes but after closer examination, they are orchards I hope. The orchards helped to cover my entrance on board and fustrated Rich a bit due to not being able to use his nice 50 cal. The Light bocage rules are not all that complicated, they are just supped up hedges.As the game went on, my stug's could not bog at all, they just traversed the light bocage like knife threw butter. BUT it was slow going due to having to expend 1/4 of my movement to cross those bocage hex sides and gain a level, thats 9MP's!(4 to cross bocage and 5 to gain a level) Throughout the game, it was manuever and hide and seek, we only had one CC the entire game.
With my units assualting concealed towards the american positions, it was tough to get any kind of MC on the Germans, but when the Americans did score a MC, My Paratroopers just crumbled. Still, I was able to bring them back and into battle, I even pulled a fast one and sent a bunch of guys around the American flank where there was only one Ami squad which was smoked in by one of my stugs.
With alot of the Americans either dead or broken, Rich threw in the towel. There really was not much he could do to get at the flanking squads and by turn 4 all his SW were abandoned with no chance of recovering them due to my guys being to close to get near them. Although Rich did get a chance to blow up one Stug, that was one cool high light, my stug was HD behind a Light bocage hexside and rich rolled snakes with a BAZ shot. Burning wreck baby!
I too had a few high lights, I recovered an Ami HMG and wiped out a squad with it. I also got to wipe out a stack of Ami's with my Stug, first shot hits with RoF, Ami 9-1 battle hardens to a heroic 9-2 and the rest of his lads pass a 2 MC. 2nd shot hits, scores a k/ on the 9-2, he dies with a 5dr and everybody else breaks and HS due to a LLMC-2!

Both Rich and I had a blast playing this scenario nonetheless but as I told Rich, a good idea might be is to have the americans set-up in a reverse slope defense with some foxholes and then set up the rest of the foxholes where they will have LOS to the ridge but the germans would need to get up to the ridge IE 2nd level to achieve victory but also have to deal with an unscathed American whom can reocupy those foxhole he had set-up on the 2nd level, infact, even put the HMG's, MMG's into the foxholes at start, then while the Germans struggle across the light bocage, have the Amie's go and occupy those empty foxholes they had set-up prior to game start and look for those SW. This way, the Americans dont have to CX trying to lug those weapons over the light Bocage.

Scott