Brothers By My Side - the game

Mike Duffy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody played this one yet? I'm impressed by the small size, decent graphics, and simple rules but slightly saddened by the lack of a "campaign" game and somewhat inexact rules. Also, didn't Dave Friedrichs do a LZ X-Ray version for TCS? I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Mike Duffy
Has anybody played this one yet? I'm impressed by the small size, decent graphics, and simple rules but slightly saddened by the lack of a "campaign" game and somewhat inexact rules.
Not yet. I assembled it last weekend, and I've got a scenario set up, but I haven't yet found time to play it.

Reading the rules, one question popped into my head: Can units from different companies stack together? If so, are they forbidden from attacking together (since a rule says two units from the same company stacked together must attack together)?

I don' t care about the lack of a campaign game; I figure the scenarios will keep me busy for as long as my interest holds out. And if it turns out to be a good game, I'll investigate Lock & Load.

Anyhow, this is kinda fun. I've played very few Vietnam wargames in my time. All that comes to mind is the Battle for Hue (don't recall which game company produced that) and Firepower. Oh, and Platoon. Not my period really. I have a brother-in-law who's really into it. (Me, I was just glad the war ended when it did, 'cause I had to register for the draft in '73.)

Reaction score
Re: Re: Brothers By My Side - the game

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll
Reading the rules, one question popped into my head: Can units from different companies stack together? If so, are they forbidden from attacking together (since a rule says two units from the same company stacked together must attack together)?
Based on past experience with games which worked in command and control rules, you MUST have two units from the same parent unit stacked together attack together, and, you MAY have two units from different parent units stacked together attack together.

usually, this situation would have brought up one of two adjustments to the attack. Either units with the same parent would get a bonus, or, units from different parent units received a penalty, when attacking together.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Has anybody played this one yet? I'm impressed by the small size, decent graphics, and simple rules but slightly saddened by the lack of a "campaign" game and somewhat inexact rules. Also, didn't Dave Friedrichs do a LZ X-Ray version for TCS? I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Mike
Mike, Yup wrt Fred, I'll talk to you tonight on that. As I recall Fred's entry was a freebie.

Mike Duffy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Brothers By My Side - the game

Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
Mike, Yup wrt Fred, I'll talk to you tonight on that. As I recall Fred's entry was a freebie.
I think saw it on his "I Miss the Gamers" website once. I just can't find that website now.

Mike

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Brothers By My Side - the game

I think saw it on his "I Miss the Gamers" website once. I just can't find that website now.

Mike
We were talking about "I miss The Gamers" yesterday,when playing AFS. Gary C. has a copy that Fred gave him personally during H/con-North. I hope to see Fred again at this years' H/Con-North to ask him.

foster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you guys liked Brothers by my side look into Lock N Load, Its a great game If your into the Vietnam war era like I am.

markhwalker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stacking

Can units from different companies stack together? If so said:
same[/i] company stacked together must attack together)?
Hi Pat,

Sure, stack away. They can't however, fire together.

I would argue that my rules aren't inexact, but rather don't babysit the gamer. I try not to waste verbiage telling you what you can do, then what you can't do, and then reiterating what you can do. It's not my style, nor was that Eric's mandate. He wanted games that were quick to play. I hope we have done that.

On playing this, and then LnL... the two games are VERY different. If you are unsure as to whether you might like LnL, download the free demo from the www.locknloadgame.com website. There is also a snazzy Flash example of play at the bottom of the first page.

Best,
Mark H. Walker

Last edited:

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just dropped a match request into AHIKS (an old time PBM club I've belonged to for maybe 20 years).

Any tactical advice?

And I have to say a big THANKS to Armchair General and Mark Walker. It's oh so nice to have a game to play by mail that I can lay on top of an end table and finish in a reasonable amount of time (by PBM standards).

Last edited: