Best role

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
As you may be aware, that scene was spontaneous and not in the script, but looked so good the director kept it in. That may be the cause for Sheen's discomfort -- he may not ad lib well.
No, I wasn't aware that it was spontaneous. You mean all the reenactors just swarmed to Sheen and started chanting "Lee, Lee"? That sounds cool. Good thing he had a horse that wouldn't spook easy.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
No, I wasn't aware that it was spontaneous. You mean all the reenactors just swarmed to Sheen and started chanting "Lee, Lee"? That sounds cool. Good thing he had a horse that wouldn't spook easy.
Yes, or so I have been told by a half dozen or more SCV members/reenactors who are in the movie. It was completely spontaneous. Remember that these men lived as Confederate soldiers for weeks during the filming. Sheen became GEN Lee, just as they became members of the ANV. What's more, the staff officers who marched behind BG Armistead were in tears for most of the march from the honor of participating in Pickett's Charge and replicating their ancestors (both were senior SCV officers) in that way.

Reaction score
Yeah, he is a native Virginian. He is also a much better horse rider than Sheen. I think he actually has a horse ranch and injured himself not long before shooting for Open Range began and it nearly cost him the role.
I don't think he's a native Virginian, but he does live in Middleburg, right in the heart of Virginia horse country. He did hurt himself right before "Open Range", but his part would not have been recast because the only way Costner was able to secure his remaining financing was to assure the money men that Duvall would be in the movie...........

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
Yes, or so I have been told by a half dozen or more SCV members/reenactors who are in the movie. It was completely spontaneous. Remember that these men lived as Confederate soldiers for weeks during the filming. Sheen became GEN Lee, just as they became members of the ANV. What's more, the staff officers who marched behind BG Armistead were in tears for most of the march from the honor of participating in Pickett's Charge and replicating their ancestors (both were senior SCV officers) in that way.
Wow. Would have loved to be a part of that. Sounds extremely powerful and moving.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I don't think he's a native Virginian, but he does live in Middleburg, right in the heart of Virginia horse country. He did hurt himself right before "Open Range", but his part would not have been recast because the only way Costner was able to secure his remaining financing was to assure the money men that Duvall would be in the movie...........
According to his biography, he was born in San Diego, California.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow. Would have loved to be a part of that. Sounds extremely powerful and moving.
Me, too. It's stories like that that make me want to be a CSA reenactor...but the truth is that I just don't have time for it...they nearly got me into a Mississippi regiment reenactor unit in Missouri.

Reaction score
Duvall is one of the best actors of his era. I saw a couple of old "Combat" episodes with him from the early '60's where he's cast as a German. Even then his talents were evident.....

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lance Williams said:
Duvall is one of the best actors of his era. I saw a couple of old "Combat" episodes with him from the early '60's where he's cast as a German. Even then his talents were evident.....
I saw one of those just a couple months ago. He did a great job.

Mark
Deo Vindice
Salus Per Christum

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
last_cav1971 said:
I saw one of those just a couple months ago. He did a great job.

Mark
Deo Vindice
Salus Per Christum
Speaking of the older actors (or guys who played in The Godfather) who did a good job in the TV show Combat, check out a very young James Caan as a German sergeant. He didn't speak a word of English in his role. James Caan is of that age, now where he could portray a general from the ACW in the Shaara trilogy. Of course, he might be having too much fun in the new show, Las Vegas.

vicfirth311

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Imloved Duvall as Lee, I could see more of Lee in Duvall. Maybe it is just the image of Lee I have had in my head since I was a little kid, Duvall simplied nailed it. I hope he returns for The Last Full Measure

Any idea if and when that mvie is coming out?

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
vicfirth311 said:
Imloved Duvall as Lee, I could see more of Lee in Duvall. Maybe it is just the image of Lee I have had in my head since I was a little kid, Duvall simplied nailed it. I hope he returns for The Last Full Measure

Any idea if and when that mvie is coming out?
Not any time soon, because of the poor showing of Gods and Generals in theaters. Althought I hear it is doing pretty good in home sales and rentals.

vicfirth311

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully it will get made, I dont see how you can make the first two of a trilogy and leave the third unfinished (or un started)

Reaction score
vicfirth311 said:
Hopefully it will get made, I dont see how you can make the first two of a trilogy and leave the third unfinished (or un started)
Unfortunately it's all about the money..............

vicfirth311

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I dont think Gettysburg was that much moe successful than Gods and Generals, and Ted Turner funded both movies, I dont see why he doesnt do the third, I mean he owns half of Atlanta and the fans and history buffs would be thrilled if he finished it. He better finish it.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
vicfirth311 said:
Like they said below, it's about the Benjamins (and the fact that G and G did not do well, theatrically).

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually Gettysburg, while expensive, was much more profitable than Gods and Generals. I think it made four or five times its production costs. Gods and Generals, I think, is just now breaking even.

doodad

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think both Gettysburg and G & G are going to sell a bunch of DVDs for a while at the stores near battlefields. They have that synergy thing...Tommy sees a real canon, Tommy can see a whole bunch of them banging away in the movies.

As for Sheen, I agree he had certain aspects of Lee down, but I kept seeing Martin Sheen with a bad fitting beard. He also seemed more paunchy. Duval was fine but under used. At least they got the Frederickburg quote in.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
God's and Generals was released in theater, but wasn't Gettysburg a made for TV movie. I thought it aired as TNT special.

Reaction score
Mad Cow said:
God's and Generals was released in theater, but wasn't Gettysburg a made for TV movie. I thought it aired as TNT special.
It was on TNT at least a year after its theatrical run.........