Battlestar Galactica

TacCovert4

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mountain man,

In the first fighter battle, the colonials were using viper IIIs but all of these were shut down and destroyed by the cylons. The Viper IIs were in the museum beside the port launch bay gift shop.

I was really impressed with the space battles, although I see that the pilots still have inertial compensation in their fighters. Twould be better if when they pulled those obscenely high g stunts that they blacked out or something.

But Starbuck is a girl! What in hades is that!?

BTW if anybody knows where I can get one of those new model cylons let me know.

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tac - I'm with you, but just the blonde model! Hubba HUBBA! I love the scene in the control room where Balthasar is hanging out of his chair lost in erotica in the midst of all arounhd him! Although a little explanation as to "her" constant invisible presence might be nice. I do have to wonder where thwey got hold of Boomer as a prototype for a Cylon...?

Is it just me, or is Starbuck's stoogie about the most phallic thing the producers could find? How many stoogies aboard a warship? Where will the booze supply come from? Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:

Bariman - well...since you mentioned it...I was going by museum standards of today. Museum battleships, etc., for example, are stripped of all armaments, ammo fuel, etc, and and sailed to their destination under a minimal caretaker crew, after which they are placed in the hands of non-military caretakers, often retired military maintenance ratings. There are no warehouses full of WWII ammo or BB parts - the replacement items are often made aboard in the machine shop by copying the original part, and the ammo is sent to be either destroyed or re-manufactured to current service standards. So Galactica would not have had fueled Vipers aboard, nor even fuel at all, nor a combat trained crew, which would have been dispersed to the fleet to fill vacancies. Ooops!

This whole thing would have made much, much better sense at no cost whatsoever to the storyline or budget, to have had the Galactica in space dock undergoing overhaul and refit, a common practice to extend the service lives of military hardware everywhere. The Vipers would not yet have been upgraded or replaced as the new models would go first to active duty vessels. If the Galactica were near the end of her refit, fuel and ammo, etc, would have been aboard, as well as crew and parts for the Viper II's as they would still have been operational until phased out by replacements. And the crew, nearing resumption of fleet duty status, would be trained.

Considering the distances being travelled, what vessels would there have been that were without FTL capacity, except for local shuttles, freighters, etc.? The Twelve Colonies are widely scattered in space. We know this because the size of the fleet area defense area dictates a supply station which can only be reached by FTL drive. Colonial One - which title BTW really needs some definite explanation as it is horiribly out of context by referring to a long-lost civilization on an entirely mythical planet called Earth - was just the local equivalent of a charter jetliner taking the suits to see a museum ship in orbit, but it was FTL equippped. Why not just have vessels that were damaged and couldn't jump? Answer: bad scripting solution to the necessary "pathos of war" quota.

As far as Ragnar goes, no supply depot anywhere is going to be carrying a complete load-out of parts for an obsolete Battlestar, and where was the service and maintenance crew of the Ragnar station itself? A place like that still needs heat, light, air and so forth, and equipment breaks down, lights burn out, seals leak and so forth, requiring a human maintenance crew. Since the site was "secret", how did a solitary Cylon get there? If he was maintenance crew and killed the others, then the Galactica folks might have wondered about their absence, and since when do you approach a secret site storing weapons of mass destruction without communication or security of any kind? Well, ooops - again!

Burning Question Of The Day: How long has it been since the original Cylon-Colonial Wars?

This is a real fly in the Galactica's peanut butter, because it has been long enough for the Galactica and its Vipers to become obsolete, long enough for Galactica to be consigned to museum status, but not long enough to retire Adama or for Apollo to age any, not to mention Boomer, Starbuck, etc. Long enough, however, for the Cylons to have developed an entirely new generation of everything and to make a quantum leap in robot design clear up to android standards, androids which are able to have - according to the story line - wild, passionate sex with humans. Damn, I want one of those!

I'm, still looking for that hull stuff that merely buckles under the impact of a 50kt nuclear detonation. I'm going to open up a body shop with it and make a fortune. :D

Speaking of 50kt nuclear weapons, which make enormous sense in space, what happened to the radiation imparted directly to the hull of Galactica? Hello? Any scriptwiters awake during Basic Science for Dummies 101? In a vacuum, nothing blocks out hard radiation. That whole section of the outer hull would be "hot" for years to come.

Why would you fight external compartment fires in outer space? Why wouldn't you simply seal the chamber and evac the air? Internal compartments, yeah. Not much choice. But external ones?

Where does a museum ship get the heavy equipment necessary to repair a hull tough enough to withstand a 50kt blast? That would be a space dock job in any man's navy. My best guess would be Ragnar, but they didn't stay long enough.

BTW - if testing hair samples for "synthetics" determine that nasty old Cylon thing, do they still have wigs and hairpieces? According to the XO, they haven't improved on Rogaine over the centuries! :D Be a shame for your rug to sign your death sentence...hmmm?

Love the series...hate the discrepancies, which are entirely unnecessary.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a rant... an explanation.

Who cares... If you think too much about it you'll just kill your own interest.... I think barring discprepancies its a good show...

Sci-fi holds an element not many think of... yes it may be that they can't handle that special effect or think of something that should happen but sci-fi is called science fiction because it is science taken into future or past extremes and levels. Sometimes you see a magical application of inertia in space making fighter combat as if it were above the skies of Britain in WWII.

Technical sites are what irk me the most esp. Star Wars Tech. Commentaries... okay who cares that the Death Star II would have killed Endor with radiation and debris... who cares how many watts and amps of energy a Star Destroyer uses in one turbo laser turret.

Modern science and principles can't always be applied in Sci-fi... sometimes you see things that just don't make sense... okay so its a gift shop... it would also seem that since the cylons have made no moves in so long and the Galactica still was "out there" they hadn't the chance to dock at Caprica and mothball their weapons and equipment... I believe they were on the way there when the attack occured.

Regardless I refer you all to my favorite poet of all time. Samuel Taylor Coleridge who said,
"To read fiction requires a willing suspension of disbelief."

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyways on another note did anyone else notice this?

On the way to rendevous with the battle group Adama is told something (or someone says it but I'm quite sure its said) that the colonies had lost 6 Base Stars....

When Boomer and Kilo's Raptor go to Caprica you see the old version (or whats left of one maybe two) floating outside the planet... Thought that was an interesting touch as well as the whole musuem aspect with the stuff from the original series.

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MountainMan said:
Burning Question Of The Day: How long has it been since the original Cylon-Colonial Wars?

Well, according to what I know about the recent video game, it has been some thirty or forty years since the first war. You play as a young Adama at the begining of his piloting career.

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bariman - I grew up on first fantasy from my father's collection - the original A.E. Merritt, Lovecraft, Robert Howard, etc., and then on science fiction.

The difference between sci-fi and fantasy is in the degree of extrapolated, believable reality, i.e., the credibility rating.

Ever see a Western when you were a kid where the hero just kept fanning slugs out of that 'ole six-shooter, like maybe twenty or thirty rounds wihout ever reloading and keep hitting Indians at a hundred yards from the hip with his trusty hogleg? Every think how stupid that was? But the movie was fiction, right? So why stick to real-world rules? Because otherwise it's too corny for anybody to digest.

Same thing here. In order to maintain a fiction of "it could happen like this", you have to stay within the realm of reality as it would be under the conditions imagined. This is why Adama talks about the need for food and fuel. You cannot suspend reality anyplace without lessening what you present. Hence, my closing statement: love the series, hate the needless discrepancies - which exist only because they don't teach consistency logic to screenwriters. But they do to the really good sci-fi authors. Heinlein didn't make those kind of errors in Starship Trooper. A.E. van Vogt never made them either, nor did Isaac Asimov. If it doesn't cost any more to do it right, why not try? That's the difference between an average or maybe "good" series, and the classics.

If the series is fantasy, or course, then go ahead and just make it up as you go along, a common thing for many shows. Then the Galactica won't need anything and can be invincible with magical ray guns and all that crap they used to put in the films of the fifties. They're approaching that with the nympho blonde Cylon as it is.

So the time frame is thirty or forty years from the original BSG? I guess that makes this one Battlestar Geriatrica... :D

Last edited:

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
lol... at least its not Battlestar 1980...... yikes....

Even though I just watched whats supposed to be a good episode when Starbuck Rebuilds a Centurion. Supposedly they pay homage to it in the new series with Starbuck using a Cylon Fighter or something in episode 5 (so they say).

Sorry if anyone thinks I over-reacted... it irks me with one of my friends who is a constant critic of reality in fiction.... Like Underworld..... "You can't cut him in half and then he falls apart late." Well since when did vampires and werewolves run rampant in Britain?

Well Said Mountain Man!

Here's to a new Galactica! Believe me I've heard worse criticisms than the ones here....

Last edited:

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe Galactica can meet up with Enterprise somehwere along The Final Frontier.

Ahead warp factor five, Apollo. And somebody stop Scotty from tinkering with the Cylons to make them work better. :D

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MountainMan said:
So the time frame is thirty or forty years from the original BSG? I guess that makes this one Battlestar Geriatrica... :D

No, sorry, you misunderstand. The new series is a remake of the original Battlestar Galactica. The videogame (called, suprisingly, Battlestar Galactica) is set thirty or forty years before the events at the begining of the new series, where Adama is a young fighter pilot on the brand-spanking new Galactica when the Cylons first attacked. There was a prelogue (sp?) at the begining of the mini-series that kind of explained it. By the way, I wonder if they will use the "life here began out there" line in the opening credits like the original.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BarcelonaBlom said:
lol... at least its not Battlestar 1980...... yikes....

Even though I just watched whats supposed to be a good episode when Starbuck Rebuilds a Centurion. Supposedly they pay homage to it in the new series with Starbuck using a Cylon Fighter or something in episode 5 (so they say).
Yes, that is by far the only good episode of BAttlestar 80. Whether that is saying anything is debatable!

I'll be tuned in, as a lifelong fan of the original I'm just happy to see SOMETHING new in the Battlestar genre. I'm real curious to see how good the writing is...sometimes I think everything has already been done in sci-fi TV.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BarcelonaBlom said:
Not a rant... an explanation.

Who cares... If you think too much about it you'll just kill your own interest.... I think barring discprepancies its a good show...

Sci-fi holds an element not many think of... yes it may be that they can't handle that special effect or think of something that should happen but sci-fi is called science fiction because it is science taken into future or past extremes and levels. Sometimes you see a magical application of inertia in space making fighter combat as if it were above the skies of Britain in WWII.

Technical sites are what irk me the most esp. Star Wars Tech. Commentaries... okay who cares that the Death Star II would have killed Endor with radiation and debris... who cares how many watts and amps of energy a Star Destroyer uses in one turbo laser turret.

Modern science and principles can't always be applied in Sci-fi... sometimes you see things that just don't make sense... okay so its a gift shop... it would also seem that since the cylons have made no moves in so long and the Galactica still was "out there" they hadn't the chance to dock at Caprica and mothball their weapons and equipment... I believe they were on the way there when the attack occured.

Regardless I refer you all to my favorite poet of all time. Samuel Taylor Coleridge who said,
"To read fiction requires a willing suspension of disbelief."
Yes and no. I think it's fun to read up on this stuff and the SW:TC sites used to be one of my favourites. Having said this, I have more than once made the mistake of going to see a movie and ruining it afterwards by actually thinking about it...

Dr. S.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any of you other old Army fogeys recognize Cmdr. Adama's handset?

It's an old TA-1!

Last edited:

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I'm watching the episode "Water," and the water tanks were at the outside of the ship, right where they can be damaged by an attack. Shouldn't they be a little farther inside? I mean, they could be irradiated by nukes (someone mentioned this earlier). Good story, faulty logic.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Bariman said:
Ok, I'm watching the episode "Water," and the water tanks were at the outside of the ship, right where they can be damaged by an attack. Shouldn't they be a little farther inside? I mean, they could be irradiated by nukes (someone mentioned this earlier). Good story, faulty logic.

Maybe they are shielded by antiiradiation material, you know it probably has aspects outside our comprehension of physics.

Also, wouldn't the water be an effective shield to certain weaponry? You could even make it more so by jellifying it so it is harder to penetrate and then reprocess it for consumption. But they didnt seem to do this as it was in liquid form when they lost it. But hey thats a good idea i must say so myself. :whist:

How much water do Navy svessels carry?

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FallenAngelASB said:
Who all in here hopes that they find the Battlestar Pegasus and Commander Cain and take on a basestar?!
ME!'

To Doc.: Well its not like I hate those sites they're interesting but then they do kinda ruin the fun like you said... Double-edged sword look at it the way you want to.

Brian: I think the writing is somewhat original and they have insinuated (by way of Boomer) that there will definetly will be plot twists... Also the original producer of the original series is back. My dad saw his name in the credits.

To Everyone: What is the deal with Boomer? Why would they go so far to make their sleepers so human that they think they are human and run the risk of screwing their mission up? Interesting stuff.... Can't wait til next Fri.

Panzer Meyer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Good episodes, 33 and water.

As Far as boomer goes, I think she is figuring it out, that she is a cylon. But she does not want to be. She has a consious, and is figuring out she is the one that is doing all this.

I think maybe in the later episodes she somehow figures it all out and tries to stop herself. She stop herself from blowing up the raptor when they found the water.

One thing that bothers me is that Doctor. He is so damn freaky, I don't like his character at all. Is he a cylon too, or wait...he is the traitor, right? The guy that let the cylons through the defenses.

If so...WOW. He needs to die.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's really messed up even though I think they mentioned something about a chip that she (number 6) put in him... or so I think...

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed the first two episodes!

In 33, I think they did a good job of passing along the high state of anxiety from being under constant threat for 100+ hours of combat. I found the whole thing very enjoyable and didn't want to miss any of it. Adama's solution was a good one, although I wonder why it took 200 jumps for him to think of it LOL.

I liked Water slightly less than 33, partly because this episode mimics the original when their agro ships were destroyed...and partly because I don't believe the Chief (not sure of his name) would be so willing to help Boomer. I did like the sub-story set on Caprica - although one wonders why the Cylons would have any trouble finding remnants hiding there. Still a decent episode! The scenes with Baltar are pretty creepy...

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Siberian HEAT said:
I really enjoyed the first two episodes!

In 33, I think they did a good job of passing along the high state of anxiety from being under constant threat for 100+ hours of combat. I found the whole thing very enjoyable and didn't want to miss any of it. Adama's solution was a good one, although I wonder why it took 200 jumps for him to think of it LOL.
Actually, Adama's solution was not yet implemented due to Olympia Carrier missing. When it appeared on radar, Adama wasn't sure if it was already inflirated by Cylon agents. Baltar wanted it destroyed lest Dr. Aramak expose him as a traitor. So, after consulting the president and Baltar, Adama ordered it destroyed, and Cylons stopped tracking the fleet after that.

However, I think Cylons did it to in order to cement Baltar's standing among senior staff and President.

But I have a serious question...how did Baltar's subconscious Number Six knew Olympia Carrier was in fact already inflirated by Cylon agents? I have trouble believing that one.

I liked Water slightly less than 33, partly because this episode mimics the original when their agro ships were destroyed...and partly because I don't believe the Chief (not sure of his name) would be so willing to help Boomer. I did like the sub-story set on Caprica - although one wonders why the Cylons would have any trouble finding remnants hiding there. Still a decent episode! The scenes with Baltar are pretty creepy...
I still don't understand regarding Boomer. I thought there was only one Boomer and she was on Battlestar Galactica...not on the occupied planet? Was Boomer with Helo actually a Cylon agent...perhaps waiting to replace the other Boomer on Battlestar Galactica should she be discovered as a Cylon agent once Helo returns to the fleet with "real" Boomer?

Sigh...I think I should have watched the miniseries before watching the new episodes. The last time I watched miniseries was last year.

Dan