At the Gates of Cut and Run

Flambarde

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi all!

As the Finns are one of my favorite ASL-nations, I have bought almost everything published containing finnish scenarios. A couple of years ago I bought Jatkosota from Critical hit, which contained a scenario with the unusual Finnish BT-42 tanks. The scenarios name was "At the gates of Viipuri", designed by Ray Tapio.

Later Critical Hit came out with "At the Gates of Viipuri" 2nd edition. The BT-42 tanks movement rate had been adjusted from 23 to 16. Only He was allowed. The scenario was only minor adjustmenst, such as ELR 2 instead of 3for the russians.

When "Finland at War" was released, "Cut and Run" was one of the scenarios. Also designed by Ray Tapio it was very similar to At the Gates of Viipuri. The historical text was only minor adjusted. One of the two boards was different, but the VC was very similar. One big change was the new finnish 5-5-8 squads in the Finnish OB and toys like a FT added to the Russians. The BT-42 tank had been adjusted again. Now it had 20 MP. The Russian ELR had increased from 2 to 4.

When a scenario is changed like this, I'm starting to wonder why? First thing that comes to ones mind is that it was released before it was finnished. Or have the scenario designer found new sources - twice - of the finnish vehicles?

If you read this Ray, it would be great to hear the backgroundstory from you.

I brought "At the Gates of Viipuri" with me to a mini tournament in sweden last weekend. Unfortunetly, my opponents prefered other scenarios.

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray usually likes discussing all thing Finnish, but he rarely visits this forum. Your more likely to get a response by posting your question over on the Critical Hit message board.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And while I'm no fan of Critical Hit, in fairness it's entirely possible to do multiple scenarios on the same action. Each might emphasize different aspects of the action...

For example, "Guards Counter Attack" could easily be re-worked with perhaps more historically accurate terrain, variation of units, etc. <shrug>

We tend to think if there is one scenario covering the landing at Omaha, that there's no need for another...

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And while I'm no fan of Critical Hit, in fairness it's entirely possible to do multiple scenarios on the same action. Each might emphasize different aspects of the action...

For example, "Guards Counter Attack" could easily be re-worked with perhaps more historically accurate terrain, variation of units, etc. <shrug>

We tend to think if there is one scenario covering the landing at Omaha, that there's no need for another...
I dont know.

I assume he was complaining about the obvious recycling of the same scenario - with only minor changes - making it seem as if there was something new

Funny how the movement points changed on the tanks. Something is wrong there - almost like a randomizer was used instead of actual research into the hardware.

But what do I know - I am not a WWII vehicle expert

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When a scenario is changed like this, I'm starting to wonder why?
Anyone would...

First thing that comes to ones mind is that it was released before it was finnished.
A very common occurance for CH products.

Or have the scenario designer found new sources - twice - of the finnish vehicles?
Very possible...

Another possibility would be simply getting more cash for the same work.

Flambarde

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And while I'm no fan of Critical Hit, in fairness it's entirely possible to do multiple scenarios on the same action. Each might emphasize different aspects of the action... QUOTE]

Thanks for replying!

I agree! To show different aspects of one historic action can be both interesting and historical enlightening. However in this case there are only minor adjustments and wonder what the background of the scenario is.

As it seems that Ray Tapio loves designing Finnish scenarios, I am sure this is not a money thing. And as I love playing ASL with/against the finnish nation I am curious why he made three similar scenarios out of one situation and why the finnish BT-42 tank shapeshift.