ASLSK2

ForgetFullPhil

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have a situation in ASLK2 whereby a broken & DM'd squad now become pinned in SFF. The question is can they rout? Its in the defenders interest that they rout back to a leader, in the attackers interest if they cannot. I read somewhere in a tutorial that once a unit is broken, its not worth pinning them on top because being broken is the worst punishment. In this situation however the matter becomes more critical. Thoughts welcome.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have a situation in ASLK2 whereby a broken & DM'd squad now become pinned in SFF. The question is can they rout? Its in the defenders interest that they rout back to a leader, in the attackers interest if they cannot. I read somewhere in a tutorial that once a unit is broken, its not worth pinning them on top because being broken is the worst punishment. In this situation however the matter becomes more critical. Thoughts welcome.
A broken unit never becomes pinned by fire. It can be "pinned" by interdiction as part of its rout, but that is not a pin result in the fire table. This is not clear in the ASLSK rules, although at least in later versions a unit that breaks has its pin removed. I will search for a q&a, and if I can't find one I will submit for one.

The "quick and dirty" answer to your question is that per 3.6, "A broken unit may rout if under DM," which your "pinned' broken unit should be.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
After having searched through all my ASLSK rules, I have found that these problems have been fixed at various times. ASLSK#3 says that only unbroken units take PTCs. LLTCs were by Good Order units at least starting in ASLSK#2. In Decision at Elst only an unbroken unit that passes its MC by the highest roll possible is pinned. You may consider these errata to ASLSK#2 (2005 edition, I hope). I can't think of any other cases where units pin in ASLSK, but even if there are it should be played as though the only way a broken unit can become pinned is by interdiction during the RtPh.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As for the tactical side, the reason you fire at broken, DM enemy units is in hopes of getting a MC which that the unit will fail. If it fails it is casualty reduced. Otherwise there is little reason to shoot at broken, DM units, and if there are unbroken or broken-but-not-DM enemy units you generally fire on them in preference to broken, DM enemy units (but not always; it will depend on the circumstances).

JR