APh question

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi - please tell me (with rules ref) at what point does the ENEMY respond to having been successfully activated (and thus spawning an ENEMY unit ) capable of fire) during the FRENDLY APh?

Many thanks to the forum for your continued help in getting me up to speed with the Solitaire mod.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
What do you mean by 'respond?' Units are going to be activated in the advance phase per case b) below, but the ENEMY doesn't shoot in the advance phase just as usual, it's not a phase where they can fire, any units just get set up concealed in the activation location.
I suppose it's possible for a HIP friendly unit that's crazy enough to advance into an S? location, so it would then be activated per case B and CC/ambush would occur. If you have a specific example of the 'response' situation, that would help. cheers!

PS not sure why these copied rules appears so strangely formatted but hey that's gamesquad :)

3.31 HOLD ATTITUDE: A S? in Hold Attitude will never move/advance. It remains in its current Location until Activated, at which time any ENEMY unit(s) successfully Activated from it is subject to normal Actions (6.). A S? in Hold Attitude can be Activated in any of the following ways:
a)​
the S? is attacked resulting in a concealment-loss result on the IFT [EXC: a S? is an ineligible target for a Sniper attack (A14.22)], or​
b)​
by the proximity and net IFT DRM (including LV) of a moving/routing/advancing FRIENDLY Target*, or​
c)​
if the Location of the S? is successfully Searched (A12.152) or Mopped Up (A12.153; see also 15.8-.9), or​
d)​
if a Flame appears in its Location (a Blaze eliminates a S?), or​
e)​
whenever the conditions of Long Range Activation (5.32) are met.​

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks
What do you mean by 'respond?' Units are going to be activated in the advance phase per case b) below, but the ENEMY doesn't shoot in the advance phase just as usual, it's not a phase where they can fire, any units just get set up concealed in the activation location.
I suppose it's possible for a HIP friendly unit that's crazy enough to advance into an S? location, so it would then be activated per case B and CC/ambush would occur. If you have a specific example of the 'response' situation, that would help. cheers!

PS not sure why these copied rules appears so strangely formatted but hey that's gamesquad :)

3.31 HOLD ATTITUDE: A S? in Hold Attitude will never move/advance. It remains in its current Location until Activated, at which time any ENEMY unit(s) successfully Activated from it is subject to normal Actions (6.). A S? in Hold Attitude can be Activated in any of the following ways:
a)​
the S? is attacked resulting in a concealment-loss result on the IFT [EXC: a S? is an ineligible target for a Sniper attack (A14.22)], or​
b)​
by the proximity and net IFT DRM (including LV) of a moving/routing/advancing FRIENDLY Target*, or​
c)​
if the Location of the S? is successfully Searched (A12.152) or Mopped Up (A12.153; see also 15.8-.9), or​
d)​
if a Flame appears in its Location (a Blaze eliminates a S?), or​
e)​
whenever the conditions of Long Range Activation (5.32) are met.​
Your reply "but the ENEMY doesn't shoot in the advance phase just as usual, it's not a phase where they can fire, any units just get set up concealed in the activation location" was a much needed voice of sanity that brought me to my senses like a slap in the face. I am guilty of "inventing" rules. As if this system isn't complex enough as it is ... must be an age thing :rolleyes: ... anyway, hell of a way to remain humble.
What I had done was taken the mandatory Enemy actions from the Friendly MPh and to applied them in the Friendly APh. Talk about reading between the lines!

Many thanks Honosbinda. It wont be the last daft question I post on here

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya know what - it's entirely possible that you're reading it right and the rest of us have been doing it wrong for 40+ years :)

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
lol - who knows in this crazy world!