Airdrop tactic

Flyboy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm playing a PBEM game in which my SAM batteries devestated an inbound enemy paradrop - shot down 4 of 8 air transports before they could unload.

So . . . I've been testing a tactic against the AI whereby I buy an extra 4 cheap transports to lead the way before my main force, absorbing all his SAM shots. Most fixed SAM batteries only get 2-4 shots per turn, and if you set the entry to start anywhere over your lines, the percentage of a hit is usually 50% or so, meaning that your 4 empty transports should absorb 8-12 shots (assuming one or two platoons of SAMs), allowing your loaded transports a much easier drop run.

Probably not a new tactic, but new to me . . .

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Flyboy said:
I'm playing a PBEM game in which my SAM batteries devestated an inbound enemy paradrop - shot down 4 of 8 air transports before they could unload.

So . . . I've been testing a tactic against the AI whereby I buy an extra 4 cheap transports to lead the way before my main force, absorbing all his SAM shots. Most fixed SAM batteries only get 2-4 shots per turn, and if you set the entry to start anywhere over your lines, the percentage of a hit is usually 50% or so, meaning that your 4 empty transports should absorb 8-12 shots (assuming one or two platoons of SAMs), allowing your loaded transports a much easier drop run.

Probably not a new tactic, but new to me . . .
I consider this cheating... But hell, if you like it :D

Flyboy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RetPara said:
If your not cheating... your not trying and deserve to lose...
I don't think it's cheating: it's employing diversionary tactics to draw off SAM fire to clear a safe lane for airdrops :smoke: . . . I'd use UAVs, but heavier SAMs don't seem to target them at all.

Another two part question (that I could probably figure out on own, but maybe some of you seasoned vets could save me some time . . .) : how should I set the time-on-target to ensure that a drop zone gets pasted with artillery fire BEFORE my air drop?

For example, I used the 'adjust fire' button to set my airdrop for 2.2, and the covering arty fire to 2.1, figuring that the arty would fall just prior to my airdrop . . . but the paratroops landed then got pasted by friendly fire.

Is there a rule-of-thumb with respect to the right delay in time-on-target to ensure that arty falls ahead of, and not on top of, a hot drop zone?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flyboy said:
I don't think it's cheating: it's employing diversionary tactics to draw off SAM fire to clear a safe lane for airdrops :smoke: . . . I'd use UAVs, but heavier SAMs don't seem to target them at all.
I would be OK with it as long as you were using UAV's or fighter type aircraft to "sweep the area" so to speak. Not real keen on fliyng empty transports around to draw fire. While I would not go so far as to say it is "cheating" I would consider it "gamey". Kind of like running unarmed jeeps across the map to draw fire and do some recon by death. :(

Flyboy said:
Another two part question (that I could probably figure out on own, but maybe some of you seasoned vets could save me some time . . .) : how should I set the time-on-target to ensure that a drop zone gets pasted with artillery fire BEFORE my air drop?

For example, I used the 'adjust fire' button to set my airdrop for 2.2, and the covering arty fire to 2.1, figuring that the arty would fall just prior to my airdrop . . . but the paratroops landed then got pasted by friendly fire.

Is there a rule-of-thumb with respect to the right delay in time-on-target to ensure that arty falls ahead of, and not on top of, a hot drop zone?
I would set it with at least a .5 difference between the 2 and probably a full 1.0 just to be safe. Honestly though, I haven't tested it enough to really be 100% certain.

Flyboy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Double Deuce said:
I would be OK with it as long as you were using UAV's or fighter type aircraft to "sweep the area" so to speak. Not real keen on fliyng empty transports around to draw fire. While I would not go so far as to say it is "cheating" I would consider it "gamey". Kind of like running unarmed jeeps across the map to draw fire and do some recon by death. :(

I would set it with at least a .5 difference between the 2 and probably a full 1.0 just to be safe. Honestly though, I haven't tested it enough to really be 100% certain.
I thought about separating them by a 1.0 turn to be on the safe side, but ideally I want the artillery to plough the landing zone at the end of the same turn, so any enemy dug into the landing zone will be too surpressed to fire on them as they 'take their rigs off', and/or on his ensuing turn --they seem to get two cracks at landing airborne.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Flyboy said:
I thought about separating them by a 1.0 turn to be on the safe side, but ideally I want the artillery to plough the landing zone at the end of the same turn, so any enemy dug into the landing zone will be too surpressed to fire on them as they 'take their rigs off', and/or on his ensuing turn --they seem to get two cracks at landing airborne.
Well, if you want the support at the end of your turn try to get your Arty into LOS and pound the objective "manually"