AFV Defensive fire but needs a covered arc change

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi need some help with understanding part of this rule from S8.61:

The ENEMY unit must First/Subsequent First/Final Protective Fire (as appropriate) at the moving non-vehicular Target if an AC dr would otherwise be necessary [EXC: 8.613 also, if the ENEMY unit is a ⅝" Ordnance with an Acquired Target that would have to change its CA].

I have a friendly infantry unit with an acquired marker on it from a T34. The unit moves outside of the tanks current arc but remains in it's LOS, as per S8.61the AC dr would be applicable but the exception indicates that it won't fire if it has to change it's covered arc. Does the T34 defensive fire changing it's covered arc in the process or not.

As a separate question prior to this move another friendly unit moved to the rear of the T34 and again would have required an AC dr to be undertaken - however, should the T34 have dropped it's acquisition on the target to it's front, changed it's covered arc and fired on this moving unit behind it. I thought the best interests of the tank was to fire at the target it had acquired even though it had to change it's covered arc, but not sure if I have applied this correctly

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

SImon

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The last paragraph of the introduction mentions "in its best interest", which I think applies to the entire system. I'd say to use common sense. In your example, the moving unit is acquired by the T34, so it should change its TCA and fire. You'd have to determine what the best action is for the T34, which mix of MA, CMG, and BMG to fire. As for the non-vehicular unit moving to the T-34's rear, I'd say not to fire in the MPh because I feel that's pushing the interpretation limit, but I might change my mind if its a unit carrying a LATW that has a reasonable chance of destroying the T-34 in the AFPh.