AAR - When I Call Roll - AP101

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Another WO AAR. I had played this a while back as the Americans, and won. I thought I could do a better job as the defending Germans. Because I'm an egotistical SOB.

This was on both Jim Mehl's and my lists as one to play. He took the Americans.

My 50L set up at the water's edge in a pillbox, protected by wire and tetrahedrons. My MGs set up on Level 1 of the buildings.

Most of the rest of my troops, trenches and the other pillbox were set up toward the back so I wouldn't lose ELR and have potential troop loss early. Fortress Europa was ready!!!

Some of my defending troops did not seem to take the dire situation seriously.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-599-1043-31,_Frankreich,_Soldaten_im_Liegestuhl_vor_Bunkersm.jpg

Assault craft start coming in. Jim had to make a left turn, Clyde, with some of them to avoid tetrahedrons.

lcs320901.jpg

My 50L did real well firing HE. I ended up sinking two of the LC. Mistake made - one of them should have been Ablaze after I rolled eyes on the effects roll.

Unfortunately, I sank the most expendable ones, and he only lost 3 squads and no leaders.

When he hit the beach, my AT gun broke. But the MGs opened up and did a lot of damage.

pillboxtitlesm.jpg

My HMG HS broke, but my 8-0 took it and shot up more guys. When he broke, a hero that had been created took it and also shot well. I briefly captured an American MMG, but got shot into little pieces.

Some American troops made some progress on my right, but ran into the other pillbox, which stopped them.

Going in to the end game, things looked good. I had been chased out of the buildings and lost the HMG, but my crew was still holding up his 9-2 and the boys, other troops had found my mines, bucketheads in trenches were blocking his easy exit, and the mighty mighty HS in the pillbox was holding firm.

But the dice giveth, and the dice taketh away. A bazooka got a CH against the pillbox.

baz10-heroic-world-war-ii-soldiers-who-achieved-the-impossible-1.jpg

Wanna know what happens with a 16-5??? It ain't pretty. His turn, a HS occupies the empty pillbox, stepping over more body parts than are in a whole season of The Walking Dead. That gave him the last fortification needed to make me take NTCs. Half my force vanished from failing the NTCs, and he was able to mop up the remainder and exit enough troops off the board for the win.

It was a much closer game than my earlier playing. Jim was miserable most of the game, as he was getting his butt kicked. But, as Napoleon often said, "In battle, anything can happen with a good dice tower and hot dice!"

This is very pro-American on ROAR. Recommend dropping the NTC SSR if you play it.

Attachments