A10.41, A15.432: Voluntary Break to escape Berserk unit?

tppytel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An American squad berserks and enters a German squad's location, surviving D1F. Two more American squads take advantage of this and move adjacent, ready to advance for a CC kill. Can the German squad voluntarily break with the Berserk unit still in the hex? The Location is in the middle of a large forest so there's no Interdiction, and the rout path does not pass adjacent to any other American units besides the berserk one. I don't see anything in the rules to prevent this, but it seems a little cheesy to me. But I guess this is why the berserk charge rules specify that the enemy unit "is not yet held in Melee" and is thus marked with a CC counter rather than a Melee counter.

Follow-up question: If the answer above is "yes" and the German squad routs away out of LOS, does the berserker return to Good Order? I think so, though it's not obvious how the phrase "if at the end of a charge there is no Known enemy unit in its LOS" applies here, since the Germans *were* in LOS at the end of the charge in the MPh.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you can even voluntarily break over and over and keep the berserker chasing you - as long as you don't give him a closer target to charge.

At the end of his charge, there was an enemy unit in his LOS, so he doesn't return to normal yet. He would enter the last hex he saw occupied (in this case the first hex the voluntary breaker routed through)... Once he's in that hex, if there are no enemy in his LOS, he ends his charge and returns to normal.

tppytel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you can even voluntarily break over and over and keep the berserker chasing you - as long as you don't give him a closer target to charge.
Got it.

At the end of his charge, there was an enemy unit in his LOS, so he doesn't return to normal yet. He would enter the last hex he saw occupied (in this case the first hex the voluntary breaker routed through)... Once he's in that hex, if there are no enemy in his LOS, he ends his charge and returns to normal.
OK, that makes sense with the rule's wording. Sounds good.

Thanks.