Search results

1. Philippe D.

DZ:SME CG3, Night scenario

Scenario 4 in CG3 of DZ:SME is a Night scenario, and the scenario SSR state that: the Germans are the Scenario Attacker on map section Sa the Americans are the Scenario Attacker on map section Fa the Americans cannot use Cloaking This "dual" situation has strange aspects; I am understanding...
  2. Philippe D.

Orsogna copyright notice

I just got the AF Orsogna box today - but it will be the last Advancing Fire product I buy, I'm afraid. On the second page of the Orsogna rulebook is this paragraph: I scan all my ASL scenarios, not just those printed on flimsy paper like AF does. I also scan HASL rules, because it's so much...
  3. Philippe D.

Escaping Prisoners, Melee, and CG scenario end

A strange combination of events occurred in a recent Sainte-Mère CG game (but this is ASL, strange events make up the whole game), and I am not sure we resolved this right. During the game, a HS guarding Prisoners was broken, and in the following CCPh, the Prisoners passed the TC to engage the...
  4. Philippe D.

For all precision dice fanatics

... check out these "skew dice" :eek: They look awfully skewed, but geometrically they are as fair as usual cubic dice. https://mathartfun.com/DiceLabDice.html The site also sells "countdown dice" which lets you count from 1 to 24 just by moving from one face to an adjacent one - but these...
  5. Philippe D.

Scenario SM8

Scenario SM8 (from Drop Zone: Sainte-Mère Église) has an American AT Gun, but now crew as part of the OB. Further, the SSRs state that no other unit can set up adjacent or in the same hex as the Gun. Does this mean that the AT Gun has to be set up unpossessed, with nobody in close proximity, or...
  6. Philippe D.

Sainte-Mère CGIII: initial control of Strategic Locations

I feel dumb for asking this; it's probably spelled out somewhere... but I cannot find it. All over in the CG rules for Setup Area determination, it looks like there is a guarantee that all Strategic Locations are always under one side's control. But I cannot find a clear description of who...
  7. Philippe D.

Did I get Leader Direction and First Fire/Subs. First Fire wrong for years?

Up to recently I believe I had the rules for Leader Direction during all forms of Defensive Fire about right, but after some recent discussion I am wondering if maybe I've been wrong all along (wouldn't be the first time). Here's the setup. A Leader is stacked with two Squads, each with a MG...
  8. Philippe D.

Sainte-Mère CGs: initial control of Strategic Locations

I am getting ready to play CGIII of Sainte-Mère-Église, and I cannot find a clear definition of who controls which Strategic Locations at CG start. CG13 gives some rules (based on the American setup areas), but it only deals with map-edge road hexes. CG6 has some provisions to switch control in...
  9. Philippe D.

Reading the VC (WCW05 Abandon Ship!)

My opponent and I are having a disagreement on how to read the victory conditions on scenario WCW05 Abandon Ship!. The litigious sentence reads: "The German receive 3VP for each Mobile AFV with functioning MA and 2 VP for each Good Order squad equivalent west of hexes H0, H1 and west of the...
  10. Philippe D.

Counter storage - fully 3D printed "solution"

Hi all, I know there are ASLers out there who are also owners of 3D printers and have made their own models for counter storage - I am one of them, though my modelling skills are pretty low. Recently I came across the "gridfinity" system, which is intended as a general-purpose system with...
  11. Philippe D.

Glider landings and Bocage

The question: I am wondering how Bocage hexsides affect the landing DR of gliders, the one used to decide which hex the glider lands in; E8.231 is explicitly only about the Crash dr, so I don't see any reason to apply it. would a Bocage hexside on the side of an Avenue of Approach hex count...
  12. Philippe D.

Glider landings and Bocage

Getting ready to play my first ever Glider scenario - with Bocage on the map, 'cause it's a DZ:SME scenario. E8.231 clarifies how hexside terrain affects the Crash dr, but I see no similar provision for the Landing DR. So, how would Bocage bordering one of the Avenue of Approach hexes affect...
  13. Philippe D.

Gaps in Bocage (DZ:SMA related)

Sainte-Mère-Église has lost of gaps in Bocage hexsides, and I am wondering how these interact with the LOS-blocking feature of Bocage. Normally, LOS through a Bocage hexside is blocked when it doesn't cross either hex's hexside. But what if that LOS is through a Gap in the Bocage? (Actually...
  14. Philippe D.

FT 315 Stumbling Colossus: Russian OB

In this nice-looking scenario from the latest FTC12, the Russian OB includes 4 crewed weapons (2 ART Guns and 2 82mm MTRs, though these are dm initially) but only 2 crews. Is this intentional, or is it an error?
  15. Philippe D.

Infantry stack movement and breaking up

(Reposting this in the correct section, since my initial post in the Rules section generated some replies. Sorry for the unusual formatting, the copy/paste thing turned out not to good) I finally got Perry's answers to a series of questions I asked a few weeks ago to clarify what happens when...
  16. Philippe D.

Stack movement (Infantry) and breaking up

I finally got Perry's answers to a series of questions I asked a few weeks ago to clarify what happens when units moving as a stack do different things. Here they come. Yes. Wrong. Yes. ?? Not all. No. Yes to both. No.
  17. Philippe D.

Concealed OBA observer in CC

This occurred in a VASL game yesterday. I believe I have the answer, but I'm not 100% sure as we might have missed something (and who reads the OBA rules when they have a flowchart). An attacking unit accidentally advances into the hex of a HIP OBA Observer (really - I was looking for him...
  18. Philippe D.

Crew with Gun Entrenching

Hi all, While playing the wonderful Inor CGs, I find myself wanting to put some inactive units to work digging holes. Some of these have Guns. What happens if a Crew manning a Gun that cannot be placed in a Foxhole (that is, any 5/8" Gun except a Mortar), makes a successful Entrenching DR...
  19. Philippe D.

Rowhouse and advance

It is my understanding that when moving from one rowhouse hex to another through "vertex bypass", the MF are expended in two steps, and thus concealment loss can occur at the vertex. Is it the same for advance? Specifically, say a concealed unit is on one side of the black bar, and an enemy...
  20. Philippe D.

Last French member of the "Compagnons de la Libération" dies at 101

Hubert Germain, last surviving member of the French "Compagnons de la Libération" order, died today, aged 101. Guardian article (in English) I am not an expert, but my understanding is that the Guardian article is a bit confused. Germain wasn't a member of the Résistance; instead he went to...