Shout out to the "Squad Leaders"

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
A few years ago a good friend who is a former Army Ranger told me he wanted to get into a "really good tactical level war game". Like me, he had played AH and other hex based war games growing up, but had not played for a long time. I told him the best squad level tactical war game by far was Squad Leader, but my brief experience with it when it came out was that it was challenging to learn and play correctly. We decided to jump in and bought the ASL Rules binder and some modules. We struggled mightily for a few months trying to pick up the rules and then we discovered the Texas ASL group that gets together monthly in Houston.

Through those game days we met Jason Cameron. Jason was an experienced player and more importantly he loved bringing new players into the game and teaching them. When he could have played other experienced players and had a "better game", he instead volunteered to take the new guys and teach us how to play. He even coached us through some wins by essentially playing both sides through coaching, and kept our morale up as we struggled with tactics.

I now know just how much of an investment in time and effort this is and just wanted to say publicly how much I appreciate all the time Jason has taken to teach me this complex game. in an effort to repay his kindness I have taken it on myself to try to bring as many others into this great game as I can. I have even gotten my son interested in ASL and he is starting to show a real desire to play regularly. So in summary, thank you Jason for all your time and coaching. You are a true "Squad Leader"! And thanks to all the other Squad Leaders out there that keep the community alive and growing!