Recent content by Thunderchief

1. Thunderchief

VASL PBEM Wanted

I'm looking to play some scenarios (2 boards max size) from: BFP - Crucible of Steel LC - Wacht am Rhein (original pack - don't have 2nd Ed) HOB - Recon by Fire Mag #3 LFT - Mag#8 (Normandy)
  2. Thunderchief

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Agree, but maybe some other time. I'm not against giving scenarios another go.
  3. Thunderchief

Poll: how many scenarios do you play a year?

As I once explained to my wife - I win fewer than 50% of my games, but that's not a measure of how often I have a good time.
  4. Thunderchief

Newbie seeking patient opponent

There is an ASL Discord server with a Paddington Bears group (Sydney ASLers + other games).
  5. Thunderchief

Today in ASL history

29 July 1999 I played G25 The T-Patchers and lost as the Germans. Oktober (I mean October) has been a good month for me (for volume anyway) in the past...
  6. Thunderchief

Today in ASL history

Though I've been playing ASL for 27 years I've never played a game on 28 July...
  7. Thunderchief

Your Military Historian Sucks

True. But if you think about it, when someone is being fired on by an enemy weapon, an "88" might be a 47mm or a 105mm or an 88mm, a "Tiger" might be a Pz IV, StuG or a Tiger, but the person on the receiving end is not likely to call out "Excuse me, I hope to survive the war and write about it...
  8. Thunderchief

Your Military Historian Sucks

I read a lot of books and so far have had two WW2-related books published. I've also gone to quite a few WW2-related conferences over the years and met some of the 'big names'. I have a lot of books from a wide variety of authors/historians and yes they vary in quality. Some are excellent, and...
  9. Thunderchief

Poll: how many scenarios do you play a year?

I started playing in 1993, and the most scenarios I have completed in a year is 56. I added an extra column to my records and found that I have an average of 23 games per year (FRD). I had a goal of getting to 1,000 games by my 50th birthday, but I gave up on that more than a year ago when I...
  10. Thunderchief

AP 83 Thai Hot I was the Japanese. Tuomo Lukkari was the defending Thais. The Japanese have 5 LCs to assault a defended beach, get inland and take some locations. 3 LCs bogged on the first turn - the infantry unloaded into the water and were massacred. Those who made it to the beach were...
  11. Thunderchief

BtB 13 By Chance from Beyond The Beachhead II (BFP) The scenario card doesn't look terribly appealing but I wanted to play this in my effort to complete the pack. I had the US and my opponent had the Germans. I kept the two US groups together and entered them on FF10/GG10 (they're a bit fragile...
  12. Thunderchief

DDay 76 - presentations by historians

Paul Woodadge will be hosting a Youtube event on 6 June (Normandy time), speaking with a large number of historians (including me!) and crossing to sites within Normandy. Check out the full listing and timings here:
  13. Thunderchief

Triple Digit Club

23-ish just from what I recognise
  14. Thunderchief

How would one run a VASL comp

I'd pick short scenarios too so things don't drag on and setups can be done quickly.
  15. Thunderchief

ANZACon 2020 - 25th and 26th April 2020 - Melbourne (Australia)

If it has to be cancelled as an in-person event, maybe people could play some short-ish scenarios on VASL on those two days instead? I know there are plenty that could be finished in 3-4 hours.