RB1 One Down, Two to go

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Haven’t written an AAR in a long time, but played RB1 One Down, two to go recently on VASL, over four sessions. I was the Russians. I knew the Germans had two options, attack straight on from the north, looking to take both Workshop warehouses (F6 and M6), the two-story house in I6, and the four rubble hexes. This would give the Germans 21 victory points. It also gives the Germans a jumping off point into the Hall 6A Manufacturing Hall, and the clump of single-story stone buildings and rubble around G9.

The other option the Germans have is to push down both the east and west flanks, aiming for the B13 building on the west and the Chemist shop on the east. They would also need to capture the single story stone buildings at C11 nd AA6 to get their twenty points victory locations.

I set up reasonably strong up front. You can’t afford to but too much on the workshop warehouses due to SSR 3, requiring any non-hidden MMC to take a MC at the beginning the first turn. I put a fair few of my elite units there as they had the best chance to pass the MC.

I needed to use my heavy weapons to cover both avenues of attack as much as possible. To do this I place the 76* INF gun on the second floor of W10 (both ground and second floor fortified), and the 45LL also up high, in K11, (again both level fortified.) I also put the 7-0 leader and the field phone (HIP) in this location. The HMGs also went high, one in X9 and one n F11, the F11 site also fortified. The MMGs went into K10 ground level, O9 Rooftop and M10 rooftop, all HMG and MMG with either elite of 1st line squads.

Mines went into F5, I6, L5, N5, O6 and P6, overing a frontal assault. The chemist shop area was beefed up, and a couple of units were placed west of the railroad to defend that side. The dug in T34 went into Q6, also protecting a frontal assault.

My opponent went for the flanks, with large forces attacking down both sides, although also making a run for the manufacturing hall from the east side, and from the west attempted to get into the F6 workshop warehouse.

About half the of my forward forces broke to the first turn MMC, although one did battle harden to a fanatic.

The attempt on the F6 warehouse was defeated by a determined Russian elite squad, helped by mines, while the forces attacking the manufacturing hall ran into a hidden T-34 and paid a heavy price.

The main areas of concern were on the flanks. The Germans easily pushed through the slim defences on the west side of the rail lines, while the tanks on turn 2 (yes, rolled a 1 on the second turn) supported the attack against the chemist house.

It was time for the fickle Russian OBA to make an appearance, and make an appearance it did, landing as a harassing fire FFE on B8, making progress for the Germans on that flank difficult. It was supported by the 45LL AT gun (ROF 3) taking multiple shots at units in the wooden building and rubble. Still, the determined German units (mostly Sturmgruppe lead by the 10-2 leader) continued to push through, eventually taking the C11 and B13 building.

On the east side the Germans easily captured AA6 then pushed onto the Chemist House. The 76* broke on it’s first shop, never to be repaired. The HMG also broke on the same player turn, but fixed the very next rally phase. So started the epic clash.

A Pz-IV parked in bypass in X9 along the X9/X8 hex side. The brave Russian 527 passed his PAATC and attacked, not only killing it, but burning it. This did leave the HMG on the first-floor ox X9 shrouded in smoke, but crewed by a 458 with an 8-1 leader directing, it played a lethal dance on the attacking Germans. Another Pz-IV pulled up in W9, pounding the squad in the fortified W10 ground floor, eventually breaking it and getting a foothold.

Russian factory militia units raced (as fast as conscripts can race) towards the chemist house and the B13 building, helped by the Stukas being absent on two turns. A concealed Russian 527 managed to get into CC with the German 10-2 and 467 squad on the ground floor of B13, ambushing them and killing them, signalling the collapse of the German west flank. However, by this time, the German miscellaneous reinforcements, supported by their OBA, took the F6 warehouse and some surrounding rubble and single-story buildings.

After a fantastic defence against heavy odds, the Chemist shop finally fell. The Germans turned it into a fortress, stacking machine guns facing every side. The poor factory militia, despite being reinforced by the reserves on the 138th Rifle Division, just could not crack it, and in fact were so decimated that German half squads made it into a bunch of single hex stone buildings on the east side.

A desperate counterattack on the last turn saw the Russians take back almost all of the stone buildings on the west flack, and even manage to use sewer movement to get back into the Chemist House, but it was not quite enough, the Germans winning by about three victory locations.

It was a fantastic clash, with fortunes changing almost every game turn. Massive German attacks stymied by heroic defence, then desperate counter attacks by Russian conscripts forcing their way through murderous fire. Numerous hand-to-hand melees leaving dead from both sides. OBA smashing in repeatedly (the Russians getting four (!) modules, the Germans three).

We played this scenario as a warm up to Red October, now we cant wait to get into that!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Haven’t written an AAR in a long time, but played RB1 One Down, two to go recently on VASL, over four sessions. I was the Russians. I knew the Germans had two options, attack straight on from the north, looking to take both Workshop warehouses (F6 and M6), the two-story house in I6, and the four rubble hexes. This would give the Germans 21 victory points. It also gives the Germans a jumping off point into the Hall 6A Manufacturing Hall, and the clump of single-story stone buildings and rubble around G9.

The other option the Germans have is to push down both the east and west flanks, aiming for the B13 building on the west and the Chemist shop on the east. They would also need to capture the single story stone buildings at C11 nd AA6 to get their twenty points victory locations.

I set up reasonably strong up front. You can’t afford to but too much on the workshop warehouses due to SSR 3, requiring any non-hidden MMC to take a MC at the beginning the first turn. I put a fair few of my elite units there as they had the best chance to pass the MC.

I needed to use my heavy weapons to cover both avenues of attack as much as possible. To do this I place the 76* INF gun on the second floor of W10 (both ground and second floor fortified), and the 45LL also up high, in K11, (again both level fortified.) I also put the 7-0 leader and the field phone (HIP) in this location. The HMGs also went high, one in X9 and one n F11, the F11 site also fortified. The MMGs went into K10 ground level, O9 Rooftop and M10 rooftop, all HMG and MMG with either elite of 1st line squads.

Mines went into F5, I6, L5, N5, O6 and P6, overing a frontal assault. The chemist shop area was beefed up, and a couple of units were placed west of the railroad to defend that side. The dug in T34 went into Q6, also protecting a frontal assault.

My opponent went for the flanks, with large forces attacking down both sides, although also making a run for the manufacturing hall from the east side, and from the west attempted to get into the F6 workshop warehouse.

About half the of my forward forces broke to the first turn MMC, although one did battle harden to a fanatic.

The attempt on the F6 warehouse was defeated by a determined Russian elite squad, helped by mines, while the forces attacking the manufacturing hall ran into a hidden T-34 and paid a heavy price.

The main areas of concern were on the flanks. The Germans easily pushed through the slim defences on the west side of the rail lines, while the tanks on turn 2 (yes, rolled a 1 on the second turn) supported the attack against the chemist house.

It was time for the fickle Russian OBA to make an appearance, and make an appearance it did, landing as a harassing fire FFE on B8, making progress for the Germans on that flank difficult. It was supported by the 45LL AT gun (ROF 3) taking multiple shots at units in the wooden building and rubble. Still, the determined German units (mostly Sturmgruppe lead by the 10-2 leader) continued to push through, eventually taking the C11 and B13 building.

On the east side the Germans easily captured AA6 then pushed onto the Chemist House. The 76* broke on it’s first shop, never to be repaired. The HMG also broke on the same player turn, but fixed the very next rally phase. So started the epic clash.

A Pz-IV parked in bypass in X9 along the X9/X8 hex side. The brave Russian 527 passed his PAATC and attacked, not only killing it, but burning it. This did leave the HMG on the first-floor ox X9 shrouded in smoke, but crewed by a 458 with an 8-1 leader directing, it played a lethal dance on the attacking Germans. Another Pz-IV pulled up in W9, pounding the squad in the fortified W10 ground floor, eventually breaking it and getting a foothold.

Russian factory militia units raced (as fast as conscripts can race) towards the chemist house and the B13 building, helped by the Stukas being absent on two turns. A concealed Russian 527 managed to get into CC with the German 10-2 and 467 squad on the ground floor of B13, ambushing them and killing them, signalling the collapse of the German west flank. However, by this time, the German miscellaneous reinforcements, supported by their OBA, took the F6 warehouse and some surrounding rubble and single-story buildings.

After a fantastic defence against heavy odds, the Chemist shop finally fell. The Germans turned it into a fortress, stacking machine guns facing every side. The poor factory militia, despite being reinforced by the reserves on the 138th Rifle Division, just could not crack it, and in fact were so decimated that German half squads made it into a bunch of single hex stone buildings on the east side.

A desperate counterattack on the last turn saw the Russians take back almost all of the stone buildings on the west flack, and even manage to use sewer movement to get back into the Chemist House, but it was not quite enough, the Germans winning by about three victory locations.

It was a fantastic clash, with fortunes changing almost every game turn. Massive German attacks stymied by heroic defence, then desperate counter attacks by Russian conscripts forcing their way through murderous fire. Numerous hand-to-hand melees leaving dead from both sides. OBA smashing in repeatedly (the Russians getting four (!) modules, the Germans three).

We played this scenario as a warm up to Red October, now we cant wait to get into that!
One of the best scenarios I have ever played, fondly remembered.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Why AT Gun and Observer in K11? They haven't so much LOS from there