Whenever it's ready...

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Luckily :hail:Shogun2 has arrived.
I've decided I hate Steam. Shogun 2 arrived in a box today with 2 DVDs. I tried to install from the DVDs and Steam stepped in to take control of the process. About 80% of the way through DVD #1, I had to activate the game via Steam. Once I did that, Steam no longer cared about the DVDs. Installation stopped and Steam shows the game installed, but DVD #1 isn't done and it's never asked to see DVD #2. Instead, my only choice is to download 16 GIGS from friggin' Steam, which keeps saying their servers are "too busy" right now. WTF?

Evil Koala

Recruit
Reaction score
March 18-25th now.. Why not just put.. "so yeah... whenever.. I dunno..". At least I'd get a kick out of that. :p

EDIT: Don't know how I missed the prev post about this. Oh well.

Last edited:

Slider6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've decided I hate Steam.
I decided that long..long ago.

I hear the young-un (okay my teens) chant how great download stuff is. That was until steam wouldn't let my son play empire total war for an entire college semester and my daughter lost her HD to a virus and trashed all her I-tune downloads...lol

Ya, I'm old fashion. Give me the disks...lol I like the product in hand, at least I get the "feeling" like to have some control on all these flakey distributors :)

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember being very frustrated with this a while ago. Listening to your complaint, I did a quick search (why didn't I do this before?), and got an answer.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382
Thanks--doing that now, although it'll be about an hour until completion. Wish I'd have known of this sooner.

Still, IMHO it's pretty lame that Steam is too stupid to realize when you have a friggin' disc. After all, they have better uses for their bandwidth and downloading stuff unnecessarily.....

martin worsey

Reaction score
Country
ll
I decided that long..long ago. :)
Me too.

I rang the Tech Support number due to problems with it and was told to do my installations at quiet times (like when I’m at work or asleep).

After all the difficulties with getting Empire to work and then finding it was a rubbish game I avoid anything with “Steam” or “Total War” on the box.

Crackaces

Reaction score
I will take this thread where it is going and back to SES. The Total War Series with Rome total war first came out was totally cool. A 3-D engine that ran on affordable PC hardware, user configurable text files - that a modding community fully took advantage, and was breakthrough for the time. However, The Total War series fell into a deadly trap. The trap we talk about on this forum which is serious wargamers want realism -- Marketing wants an arcade game. By this I mean to interject the concept of game theory, cumulative decisions leading to an outcome and not mindless but wowing graphics. Empire and Napoleon Total War was sort of my last for the Total War series. The 20 units per side except that the AI can bring as much to bear as there is sort of stupid. This has been the paradigm from the begining. Napy sort of has the components of a game that is decisions lead to outcomes but sometimes the AI is just frustrating.

Now back to Distant Guns and Jutland. Besides a couple of quirks that have been quite frustrating -- SES has done a very good job thus far of balancing history and what it takes to make a good game. This is not easy. I look forward to Ship Pack #2 -- if only to get my old campaign back running ;)

JAG88

Reaction score
Country
llChile
It will be ready when it is ready, I rather wait than receive an unpolished or rushed product. I can wait a few more weeks for Blücher and Drake... maybe...

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Repairs to Blucher after her unfortunate loss during testing are taking longer than expected :laugh:

VaDingo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, speaking of project managers, enough of this procrastination - I have my new gaming computer, I may not live to my 70th birthday, and getting a product from SES is like trying to get laid in the fifties, a slow and often frustrating process..... When will the darn thing be ready??????? (:)o (

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have to concur, the original Medieval: TW was the high point of the series. This was the first game where I did real modding (i.e. adding new units, weapons and projectiles, not mere stat-twigging).

With the significant difficulty added to modding TW:Empire (where they before touted the "most moddable TW ever") meant a major step downward after the modding scene had shown what it could with Rome and Medieval2. Both were disappointing in vanilla at release, though Rome at least was fully patched and actually vanilla-decent in the final Gold edition approx two years after release. But it is the last TW game to reach this stage. Medieval2 never achieved that, with bugs and performance issues left to this day (for me most annoying is the nonfunctioning firearms drill). Nevertheless with Europa Barbaorum and Middle Earth as well as several others both received tremendous improvements and months worth of additional enjoyable gameplay where the vanilla original provided weeks at most.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy Shogun 2 eventually, but I'll wait until it has at least graduated to the first price reduction (and, coincidently, has gotten the first few patches as well as at least some of what mods are possible). As busy as I am at the moment my current games collection (but for the coming ship pack) is wholly sufficient for my needs.

I will take this thread where it is going and back to SES. The Total War Series with Rome total war first came out was totally cool. A 3-D engine that ran on affordable PC hardware, user configurable text files - that a modding community fully took advantage, and was breakthrough for the time. However, The Total War series fell into a deadly trap. The trap we talk about on this forum which is serious wargamers want realism -- Marketing wants an arcade game. By this I mean to interject the concept of game theory, cumulative decisions leading to an outcome and not mindless but wowing graphics. Empire and Napoleon Total War was sort of my last for the Total War series. The 20 units per side except that the AI can bring as much to bear as there is sort of stupid. This has been the paradigm from the begining. Napy sort of has the components of a game that is decisions lead to outcomes but sometimes the AI is just frustrating.

Now back to Distant Guns and Jutland. Besides a couple of quirks that have been quite frustrating -- SES has done a very good job thus far of balancing history and what it takes to make a good game. This is not easy. I look forward to Ship Pack #2 -- if only to get my old campaign back running ;)

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pretty sure I'll buy Shogun 2 eventually, but I'll wait until it has at least graduated to the first price reduction (and, coincidently, has gotten the first few patches as well as at least some of what mods are possible). As busy as I am at the moment my current games collection (but for the coming ship pack) is wholly sufficient for my needs.
I'd strongly recommend holding off on Shogun 2 for the foreseeable future, if not forever. If your system is more than about 1 year old, you get a BSOD right after the 1st splash screen, even if the demo worked fine for you. And so far, CA is saying this is all about needing the lastest drivers and perhaps BIOS as well. This is, of course, AFTER the original 1.1 patch, which came out simultaneously with the game itself, prevented everybody from playing it. What a horror show. 50 devalued US dollars down the drain.........

Crackaces

Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend holding off on Shogun 2 for the foreseeable future, if not forever. If your system is more than about 1 year old, you get a BSOD right after the 1st splash screen, even if the demo worked fine for you. And so far, CA is saying this is all about needing the lastest drivers and perhaps BIOS as well. This is, of course, AFTER the original 1.1 patch, which came out simultaneously with the game itself, prevented everybody from playing it. What a horror show. 50 devalued US dollars down the drain.........
Wow! http://segmentnext.com/2011/03/15/total-war-shogun-2-crashes-freezes-errors-and-fixes/ .... I have to think they have affected their base ...

In playing Jutland I wonder about those crewmen on the AMC's and thought it would be nice if there were more explosion models, but then again .. I really like being able to run a game without even thinking of upgrading to SLI ..:) I get very good frame rates with my i7 and GeForce GT330M ...and Jutland is pretty stable ..

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
OK, that means I'll hold of until it's in the bargain bin and that I won't let the (comparatively) cheap offers in the UK online shops seduce me (as I posted some years before Germans usually get 30-50% in savings even for brand new just released games (e.g. Empire TW) when ordering abroad in UK shops). Since the newest Blue Sun Mod revision will shortly be out I'll go back to 7,62mm Heavy Calibre (which BTW is currently on offer with 60% reduction in price at Gamersgate) for my Jagged Alliance type of fix and to my collection of classics for the rest.

FuurinKazan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I must be in a lucky minority. I have had 0 problems with Shogun2, it even installed right off the disc without prodding. I hate to say it, but my issue is that it's already a tad boring. outside of the XP 'tree' for agents and generals, which is cool, there's no more new depth to the game.

But it passes the time until dogger arrives, can't wait to see this new fleet AI

Crackaces

Reaction score
I must be in a lucky minority. I have had 0 problems with Shogun2, it even installed right off the disc without prodding. I hate to say it, but my issue is that it's already a tad boring. outside of the XP 'tree' for agents and generals, which is cool, there's no more new depth to the game.

But it passes the time until dogger arrives, can't wait to see this new fleet AI
You probably have a configuration very close to what was system quality tested; however, a look at forums and there are common configuations that produce very different results. During my time in software I had to battle this problem daily. Customer reproduces problem deterministically .. Software Engineer can't reproduce problem . "works here!" On occasion we would configure things to reproduce the problem and fix it with a defensive "Well we never thought anybody would have that software loaded .. we cannot test everything!" Ahhhh the problem with multivendor solutions. In this case a game, operating system, a real dependence on video hardware, middle level software like Direct X and video drivers ... the list goes on ..what a nightmare .. and yet despite some problems around DRM ....SES has managed this quite well .. I am impressed.