Zooming just the map

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Is it possible to zoom in on just the map, but leave the pieces the same size?

This would be insanely useful when the counter density starts getting high - you'd be able to see what was going on (e.g. by being able to position counters within a hex, a la Deluxe ASL) instead of just seeing a bigger version of a wall of counters.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yah, I saw that but it's not quite what I'm looking for - it's weird for normal play :) What I'm after is normal-size hexes, but the ability to zoom in for those times when things get crowded.

This could be an extremely useful thing to have e.g. things work the way they do now, but when you get into those 10-counters-per-hex situations, zoom in, arrange the counters within each hex, or along the hexsides for VBM, so that you can see what's going on. Then, when you're done, zoom out and things go back to the normal display. Zoom in again, and the way you've positioned everything within each hex is remembered.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hmm, I've just realized you can change this setting after a game has started, but it doesn't handle labels very well, and the way you have to do it (via "Pick new boards") is very clumsy. Something like, say Ctrl-F3/F4 would be very nice... :)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I closed the issue on github as this isn't something we can do in VASL without completely rewriting the way counters and maps are displayed. It would have to be added to the VASSAL.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been tinkering with what I call VASL-TNG, VASL for The Next Generation. It includes 300 dpi graphics, rotatable AFV turret art, and the ability to zoom in at about 3 times the current VASL scale. While this would address the issue you raise, which I find very valid, it would be a ton of work to ever bring it to the point of replacing the current VASL iteration. I do hope to tailor make it to play specific scenarios though. This would allow a chance to test the principles of design or reveal it for what it probably really is, the folly of a fool :)

Still, the rotatable turrets are really cool.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Rotatable turrets sound cool, indeed :) IIRC, someone was selling special turret counters that had the information for each AFV on them, so you could still see it, instead of it being hidden by a standard CE/BU counter. I can't see myself getting these, but something like that would be very useful in VASL.

Which sorta relates to my original point - reducing clutter. The developers have done an awesome job bringing VASL to where it is today, and it's a good replication of pushing cardboard pieces around on a physical map-board, but running on a computer opens up the possibility of doing so much more.

For example, a lot of the clutter comes from informational pieces like Prep Fire and Def.Fire counters; why not modify the appearance of a squad counter to indicate this? In the same way counters are tagged as "moved", they could be tagged as "fired", or overlayed, a la "berserk" and "wounded". I suspect this might be fairly easy to do (unless it's being done by VASSAL :-/), but if you wanted to get funky, you could modify the counters more drastically e.g. the current 3-man squad counter with rifles raised means "fired", 3 guys standing around with their rifles lowered means "not yet fired" (not a serious suggestion, BTW :)).

There's a thread somewhere else (and IIRC, a working prototype) talking about linking counters together, namely an AFV and its acqusition counter. We could have the acquisition counter hidden, but when you right-click or mouse over an AFV, its acquired hex lights up. You might argue that the other guy wants to see, all the time, where the acquisitions are (fair enough), so maybe the hex could be outlined, or something like that, to indicate that it is under acquisition.

Smoke'd hexes (and the counters therein) could be shaded (cf: the board goes darker when playing at night), or have a smoky overlay drawn on top of them. Rubble'd hexes could change the contents of the map hex, instead of requiring a counter.

There are obviously a lot of details that would need to be addressed with things like this, but the point remains: running as a computer program lets us do things that are not possible in the real world. The developers may take the position that they just want a computer-based version of what happens on a real board, which is fair enough, but even given that, I reckon there are still small things that could be done to streamline game-play.