Your Weaknesses as a Player

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Looks at Chris ... points finger up over head..." What he said ".

I've also come to the realization that the best way to stay undefeated, is to never have finished a scenario. :nuts:

Boxcar Ron

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As a Newbie on defence I shoot too much. I have to learn to get out will the gettin's good. He who fights & runs away. My Dad always said "I was in a fight once, the guy hit me & started running,When he caught me he hit me again!" :)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

My weaknesses are to numerous to mention :D

But, I would say main ones are:

-Reading the Damned Scenario Card! I lost TWO games at ASLOK because of it! :mad:

-Knowing and understanding nuances in the rules. It seems I STILL get the basics wrong!

-I am too tentative when attacking

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't have a good grasp of the situation : I know players who immediately see (and "feel") the strengths and the weaknesses of a scenario (terrain, forces, etc.).
I believe I have to play a scenario more than once to begin to apprehend things more or less correctly - something a real life squad leader never has the occasion to do...

I also tend to take risks when things are not going as well as they should (e.g. risking ffmo under 4 FP fire).
Or, on the contrary, I am sometimes overcautious where a little "furia francese" would be usefull.

I also have stopped scenarios too early - some would say you always must play till the end - considering all was lost... But now I know that at ASL things can change more quickly than one could suppose at first glance.

Is this next one a weakness ? I am no "killer". I do like to win, but for me ASL is more a good occasion to meet people than to climb a "ladder" ; more having a good time playing than a competition (I have no freudian urge to show that my virility is bigger than my opponent's one). But I do understand that many gamers do like competition (and I do play to win... also). I also find it pleasing to manage a good loss, making the winner pay for his success...
I believe that profile will never make me a champion, so one could consider it a weakness. ;)

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That I hardly ever find the time and/or opponent to play at all?

:(

I used to be pretty good (rules wise) when I was working for the Army and played every lunch time with O'D - God bless him - but now.... shit, it's been a year since I last played for real (at the last Grenadier tourney).

:eek:

Klaus

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I just thought of another weakness..

I need to look at my OB and decide what to do with all my equiptment.

I think this is one thing that the relly good players do, they have a purpose for everything in their given OB.

Peace

Roger

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chas Argent said:
My major weakness is the same one that bites me over and over again-I fail to completely read and comprehend the Scenario Card.
Chas, I know man. Usually it does effect me as the SSRs or VCs are pretty straight forward, however there are some scenarios where I do not fully understand either the SSR or VC and this can lead to some pretty exciting last turn antics on my part

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I need to look at my OB and decide what to do with all my equiptment.

Look at ANY scenario card and make a mental note of what equipment goes with what unit. You should already have Deployed units in the equation, what Leader is with what MMC/SW, what Leaders will lead the attack/defense, what leaders will stay back at the rallying points, what MMC/SW will be the suppression group, what MMC with Baz/Schrk/Piat will support your AFVs if superior enemy AFVs come hunting, etc.

Again, look at any scenario card and try it. Practice it. This puts you a couple of steps ahead of the game. Even if you do change your line-up from your initial impression, you have made a mental note of how the scenario 'might' shape up for both sides. This helps you evaluate the scenario a little better and helps you when it comes to picking sides.

That's one of the first things I look at when I'm thumbing thru scenarios in a tourney setting. If I don't like the ratio of one side (not enough Leaders, no SW, too few MMC, etc.) I probably won't play the scenario, because I don't want to get stuck with THAT side. But, if a player says, "I want the Germans" and the ratio is non-German in my impression I'll go to the next step, which is to pull out the mapboard to see strategic points on the board. If the board looks good and retains my impression, I'll 'let' him have the Germans. :) If we roll for sides I make darned sure that I would feel comfortable with either side.

The game within the game, which is why I love tournaments.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
How strange : the thread is about one's weaknesses... and now it has become : "good advice for playing a scenario correctly".:hmmm:
In transactional analysis, one would speak of changing from "adapted child" (or "adult") to "normative parent" - or, rather, "nourrishig parent" (I am freely translating from the French expressions)... :laugh:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"How strange : the thread is about one's weaknesses... and now it has become : "good advice for playing a scenario correctly"

Not certain I see your point.

So, we need a seperate topic for those offering advice on over coming a weakness? :D

I figured that if we list weaknesses and someone has advice to give, then they would give it.

I see no problem in somone offering up advise, seems to happen all the time on these boards :D

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My weakness is being a forever newbie.....I learn, play very little, forget what I knew, ....I learn ...rinse and repeat...I don't even what to say how many times I have read the rules and then just forgotten them. I must have too much on my mind.

I guess its time to do the Mark P way...force myself to sit down and learn then make the time to play

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Legion said:
Another thing that i often see in my opponent JP is his ability to form a plan and roll with it, i have trouble keeping to my own plans for longer than a turn. This has mixed blessings; when it works (flowing with the Tao of the game) it works, but when it doesn't (like in a game i played with Reepicheep some time ago :nervous: ) it is usually a rout!
This is called the Electric Football Attack. :laugh:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin said:
I also have stopped scenarios too early - some would say you always must play till the end

Oh, how true this one is! Especially in CGs... i do not know who many times (in a tizz) i have demanded the right to surrender as "the game was hopeless :cry: " only to discover that i was close to breaking my oponents line! Those evil little ? counters!

Now i force myself to play even when it all seems hopeless... commiting myself to learn from mistakes if i cannot salvage a win!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
rdw5150 said:
I see no problem in somone offering up advise, seems to happen all the time on these boards :D
Neither do I.:cool:
I was just underlining that the thread was changing in its contents. Discussions often take parallel or digressive directions, and it can sometimes make one forget about the original intent of the thread...
In this one, I am more interested in the problems evoked than in their (often quite simple and logical) solutions... :rolleyes:

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Weaknesses:

1. Not reading the scenario card thoroughly.
2. Losing sight of the victory conditions.
3. Not fully understanding the capabilities of my armored units.
4. Not fully understanding the capabilities of my opponent's tank killing units (I never really know if my tanks can be killed or merely harassed so I don't take advantage of their abilities to cut off routs, prevent reinforcements, etc.

I only have to read the pertinent sections of the rulebook and study both orders of battle on the scenario card in advance of the game to rectify these weaknesses. :horse:

Steiner!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tend to make risky moves, thinking "he'll have to roll a 5 to hurt me"; what do you think the next roll is?

Be patient. NEVER give your opponent ANY -2 shot.

Steiner!
"I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow."

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are many scenarios where, if you decide never to give your opponent a -2 shot, you will have lost the scenario.

With regard to taking any risk in ASL, you have to ask the following questions:

1. Is the potential reward worth the potential loss?
2. Are the potential negative consequences of my taking this risk better or worse than the potential negative consequences of not taking the risk?

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pitman said:
There are many scenarios where, if you decide never to give your opponent a -2 shot, you will have lost the scenario.

With regard to taking any risk in ASL, you have to ask the following questions:

1. Is the potential reward worth the potential loss?
2. Are the potential negative consequences of my taking this risk better or worse than the potential negative consequences of not taking the risk?
You’re absolutely correct some scenarios are designed to make you receive those –2 shots.
On points # 1 and # 2 you made. I guess that is what separates the average players from the consistent winners, knowing what to do and when to do.

Last edited: