Your Username?

Redstorm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering what to use for my screenname when I was registering and happened to glance at my bookcase for inspiration and it stuck out "Red Storm Rising"

SparceMatrix

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After sitting way too long, too many times trying to figure out user names, I decided to settle on mathematical objects as user names. A sparse matrix is an object in linear systems describing sets with only a few relationships between them. It is used to analyze and summarize the relationships in as efficient and economical ways as possible. They are usually huge square matrices with entries of greater then one hundred and hope to confront matrices of large finite numbers into the billions and beyond. If you were to take a matrix with the sides numbered for each person on the face of the planet and an entry in the matrix of "one" for each time there is a relationship between one person and another, that matrix would be a sparse matrix. I mispell it for the sentimental reason I mispelled it the first time I heard the term in Jr. High.

Djarnis

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
RhondaBrwn said:
Guess...

Far Dareis Mai, of course, comes from the Aiel female warrior society popularized in The Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan. Literally translated, it means "Maidens of the Spear", and my image is a rendering of a "spear maiden" (and no, it's not supposed to be a female terrorist). In the novels, a member of the Aiel tribe veils themselves before killing. When a spear maiden raises her veil, your life expecteancy shrinks dramatically.

Check out the novels - they are marvelous - though the series has spun out a bit too long (10 very large novels and still going strong).
So thats your avatar, cool.
I loved Jordans books in the beginning, but i have given up on him. In the last book i read he used 700+ pages, and nothing was resolved. All that happened was they all walked in different directions. He should let some of the main caracters die horribly, like George R.R. Martin. Now he knows how to keep the story going.

My nick is from a danish shortfilm.

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For some reason, I chose the name of a character in the movie Forrest Gump. You know, Gump's platoon leader and shrimping boat colleague who was always bitter about not being allowed to die in battle like the rest of his ancestors. Anyway, I always thought it was funny how Gump said Lt.Dan.

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RhondaBrwn said:
Far Dareis Mai, of course, comes from the Aiel female warrior society popularized in The Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan. Literally translated, it means "Maidens of the Spear", and my image is a rendering of a "spear maiden" (and no, it's not supposed to be a female terrorist). In the novels, a member of the Aiel tribe veils themselves before killing. When a spear maiden raises her veil, your life expecteancy shrinks dramatically.

Check out the novels - they are marvelous - though the series has spun out a bit too long (10 very large novels and still going strong).
I just finished book 10 yesterday and have "New Spring" in my hot little hands now. What a great series!

As to my name, well, Mephisto is a shortened version of Mephistopheles from Goethe's "Faust".

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Tim McBride said:
Damm I forgot why I picked mine.... :cheeky:
:D :D

"Secadegas" is an expression in portuguese used to describe the guy that drinks more in a group... don't make any idea why my friends call me that...

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This is my true name, it comes from Britanny west of France, my father told me that a "R" was lost some century ago, it was in those old times "Bertin"

and jl for Jean-Luc

My signature der Wanderer or wander something came from the times I was travelling in all part of Germany for my company, like Wothan, Ich bin Der Wanderer

Der WanderExplain

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
I chose my username, which is a tactic I commonly use in a wargame, its based on the rolling defence idea, the defence looks static and strong and causes fatiging casulties, then appears to fizzle away when the enemy gets to a good position to launch a final attack, only to re-deploy and re-appear in a new stronger position further back which grinds the already fatigued enemy to a halt and then Switch Back to a lightning counterattack to crush the attacker and gain ground.

Obviously I call this hybrid tactic that I use the Switch Back, which I commonly use on a defence ( But not always :p ). So I decided why not call myself by this name :D

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name was given me (for my aggressive style) by my peers during a tour at the Pentagon a few years ago. In the Air Force, a callsign is given and it usually sticks. It is frowned upon to dub oneself a name. I have known people to have to go through their careers with the name of "booger".

My username also sounds similar to the way my real last name is pronounced by people in the northeast U.S. where I spent my formative years.

The 8-1 comes from my SMC counter published in the ASL Module 'Croix De Guerre'.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Mine is one of the most complicated (except Tim :D ).

I cut and pasted from one of my email address.

I cannot use my original name as the Hungarian accent is missing and we use names in reverse order, so I am Némedi László (Némedi is the family name)

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
at least you have quite an original name, mine is really bad going to tell you why

my real name is "gendarme" ( french typing) and in english it means policeman so i'm mr policeman :cry:

good point is that it was of a good use for my grandfather during wwII cause he was in a bus and he had to cross a bridge guarded by the german, german soldiers came into the bus to take most people to send them to work ( in the boncelle powder factory) then they fall on my grandfather asked him his identy card ans saw the name gendarme, those krauts thought he was a real policeman :laugh: and took him apart to make him cross the bridge.

freightshaker

Reaction score
RhondaBrwn said:
The 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (Blackhorse Regiment)!

My old outfit in Viet Nam! A sight for sore old eyes!

Welcome to the forum!
Blackhorse!! You can take a trooper out of the cav but you can't take the cav out of the trooper!

autir

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
As a teenager I had a passion with Vikings and barbarians in general, listened to epic metal (still do a little bit), etc. One day while reading the Time-Life History of the World I came across the picture of an old scandinavian tombstone.

See here in the section "raise a runestone" for the text.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runesright.html

That was it!
Since then several years have passed and this is my username in many fora, unix subsystems and so on. So I'm stuck with the old Viking name
:cheeky:

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Käki is a bird. Cuckoo in english. There was a myth among russian troops during Winter War about finnish snipers shooting from the trees. They called them kukusha (cuckoo).

I´m not a sniper nor good climber (average maybe), But I´m finnish and a good whistler.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
LaPalice was a François the First’s lieutenant during the war in Italy in the 16th century. He participated at the battle of Marignan where the French defeated the Swiss, and at the battle of Pavie where he died, as the song I use as my sig says it.
Why I chose it ? Well, because I had to choose one :)

LaPalice.