Your top five dream team opponents

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You attend a tournament where you get to pick your opponents for five rounds. All ASL players are available, even those who now sit at The Great Gaming Table In the Sky. Who would you pick? Include round if you want.

Mine are:

1st Round Mike McGrath
2nd Round Steve Pleva
3rd Round Gary Fortenberry
4th Round Mark Nixon
5th Round Fish

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You attend a tournament where you get to pick your opponents for five rounds. All ASL players are available, even those who now sit at The Great Gaming Table In the Sky. Who would you pick? Include round if you want.

Mine are:

1st Round Mike McGrath
2nd Round Steve Pleva
3rd Round Gary Fortenberry
4th Round Mark Nixon
5th Round Fish
Btw the tournament is round robin and you get to pick the scenario.

I'll have to ponder on the scenarios but I know for certain McGrath and I would play Italian Brothers. You will use Platoon Movement this time you jick!!😘😘

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
  1. Steve Pleva
  2. Brian Martuzas
  3. Ian Daglish
4, Derek Ritter
5. Steve Linton
There are others but these would be my main choice

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
  1. Steve Pleva
  2. Brian Martuzas
  3. Ian Daglish
4, Derek Ritter
5. Steve Linton
Yes I have others I would want to play also.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
  1. Steve Pleva
  2. Brian Martuzas
  3. Ian Daglish
4, Derek Ritter
5. Steve Linton
Well Olli it looks to be a small tournament with just eleven of us. Since Matt won't share and eleven is an odd number we need another player. Any ideas?

My choices would be:
Perry Cocke
Bob McNamara
Guy Cheney
Russ Hall

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
  1. A Woman that plays ASL and Sex and gets mad when we don't play both in the same day.
  2. See #1
  3. See #1
  4. You haven't figured out it's #1.
  5. You are still reading this, it's still #1,
No, I am not bringing her to tournaments.
You do realize this type of behavior can lead to counters sticking together. 🤔

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1 Ian Ainsworth
2 Craig Benn
3 Martin Mayers
4 Mark Blackmore
5 Toby Pilling

And a friendly game against Simon Staniforth, who will have organised the tournament and thus is ineligible to play in it.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1 Ian Ainsworth
2 Craig Benn
3 Martin Mayers
4 Mark Blackmore
5 Toby Pilling

And a friendly game against Simon Staniforth, who will have organised the tournament and thus is ineligible to play in it.
OK - the trouble doing lists like that Ian is the people who are not on them might get upset :unsure:

Luckily that's not me..................

Hopefully see you at Double One.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK - the trouble doing lists like that Ian is the people who are not on them might get upset :unsure:

Luckily that's not me..................

Hopefully see you at Double One.
I thought I’d put people on there that I have a chance of beating 😄 although there is one of them that I’ve never beaten in a tournament game...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I thought I’d put people on there that I have a chance of beating 😄 although there is one of them that I’ve never beaten in a tournament game...
Haven't beaten anyone but Fish on my list. Played them all at least once.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My 5 players in no particular order are:

1. Craig Benn
  2. Simon Stanniforth
  3. Ian Morris
  4. Dave Blackwood
  5. Rich Domovic
All good players which I’ve lost and won against in competition/non competitive games. I just enjoy the banter with them and learnt a lot from them.
To be fair, I’ve enjoyed most of my games against all my opponents and were all like a band of brothers (albeit separated by different continents).
It would be interesting if the thread was changed to ‘who’s the five players you don’t like playing’😅

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I have no Dream Team oppo, but there is one listed upstream that I have played and would most want to play again; Brian Martuzas. This was the most meshed of playing styles I've had in an oppo and that was what made it special. We both play fast, and off the cuff. Let's say that you have an in-game situation with 4 or 5 possible things you might do with a piece. In order of viability they are 50%-75%. Neither of us were the type to stare at the map for 10 minutes breaking down odds for this one unit, we both just played by general instinct and kept rolling. We might have inadvertently chosen to go with the 60% probability rather than the 70% one (unknowingly at the time), but we both had a good enough grasp of the game to know that we were making one of the more decent choices. Does this make sense? Going for an instinctually decent play and keep rolling rather than waste time figuring out the absolute optimal play. {This would just as much be my style in a tourney final, it's just how I love to play ASL}

Of course it was obvious by game's end that we were rankling each other's nerves somewhat, but that is to be expected when you've been playing a monster for 14+ hours against a fast/decisive opponent that leaves you no time to deepthink, just play by instinct. There are others I would love to play again, for various reasons, but none I would want to replay more. For me anyway, there is nothing better in ASL than finding someone who matches your playing style exactly.