your next stop after reading ASL's rules

Major Major

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've plowed through the ASL rules (chapter A) and gotten some guidance from the Chapter K tutorial (very helpful). But I was still apprehensive about going through the mechanics of a full game. Then Priest showed me the light ... http://www.mindspring.com/~tqr/

This is Tom Repetti's web site and is invaluble to the rookie. I've gone through the infantry example of play (XOP - hey, what's ASL with out another TLA [three-letter accronym]?!?!?!). I think i actually understand 80% of what's going on now. The XOP also heightened my respect for this game which is just wicked cool! He goes through basic play for infantry, armor, night games, pacific rim theaters, and two or three actual games (although the basic rules seem to go through a few turns of actual games also).

In the Infantry XOP, Tom takes you through a Russian Human wave, shows the effectivness of throwing a SW firelane down a street (don't cross the street without looking both ways :confused: ), takes your troops down a notch through failed ERL, builds 'em up in the Heat of Battle, and much, much, more. XOPs have excellent graphics (alla VASL) and are well written and funny. Their clever in execution to really expose you to many of the 'what ifs'.

And seeing the game in action is invaluble. I thought dashes occured from non-open to non-open ground. Apparently ending a dash in non-open ground is all relative--what's open to one foe is not neccessarily open to another. This is written out in the rules, but until i saw it played out, I had no idea what this meant.

I wrote Tom to remind him that 'he 'da man' and found him very outgoing. He hangs on the VASL server periodically and drums up games. Perhaps we'll have to drag his arse in here.

Anyhoo, check this page out if you're looking for next steps prior to your inagrial game!

(anyone else seen anything else similar to tom's XOPs?)

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
These type of tutorials are great and eventually we hope to have some additional ones here. They are on my to-do list.