Your mind on buying?

Your mid on buying?

• Yes. will buy upon release

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No, will wait for player reviews then decide

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No, will wait forthe first patch then decide.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No, won't be buying it at all.

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds consistent. I'm tempted to go look now.
And re-reading, that sounds harsher than I meant it. He "caved" only in the sense of saying "Okay, I'll let you run battalions in this company-level game, but you're not going to like it much because that's not what it was designed for".

-dale

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey they say the on-map infantry guns can now fire indirectly.

You bastards are gonna die :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hey they say the on-map infantry guns can now fire indirectly.
Link?

You mean the 7.5cm and 10.5cm towed "infantry guns" found in the regimental heavy weapons companies of German infantry regiments? Weren't these usually employed in a direct-fire role?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Link?

You mean the 7.5cm and 10.5cm towed "infantry guns" found in the regimental heavy weapons companies of German infantry regiments? Weren't these usually employed in a direct-fire role?
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=274&Itemid=457#whatsnew

These things were usually fired directly, but they had sights for indirect firing (*) and it's safe to assume they didn't add those for decoration. CMBN will add indirect on-map firing for those just as mortars have.

In addition you don't have to have the spotting HQ right where they are. Instead there is a simulation of an artillery communications network that you have to integrate both the guns and the spotter into. Then you can spot from anywhere on the map. How well this works and/or whether it's Steve-crippled remains to be seen but sounds good to me so far.

(*) So do StuGs but who's counting :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=274&Itemid=457#whatsnew

These things were usually fired directly, but they had sights for indirect firing (*) and it's safe to assume they didn't add those for decoration. CMBN will add indirect on-map firing for those just as mortars have.

In addition you don't have to have the spotting HQ right where they are. Instead there is a simulation of an artillery communications network that you have to integrate both the guns and the spotter into. Then you can spot from anywhere on the map. How well this works and/or whether it's Steve-crippled remains to be seen but sounds good to me so far.

(*) So do StuGs but who's counting :)
Shermans fired indirectly also, but usually not within the confines of a tactical battle - i.e. at targets within 1000 metres during a running firefight. These were pre-planned fires, as part of a barrage, not something dreamed up on the spot as "on-call" artillery fire. Mortars, on the other hand, were the infantry battalion commander's on-call weapon of choice because they actually belonged to him. The infantry guns were a regimental asset - i.e. parcelled out between two or three battalions as needed.

Can't criticize it until I've seen it. You mention Steve-crippled, but perhaps the info on it has been Moon-mangled in the PR release phase, too, so we won't really know until we've seen it. :)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So instead of area firing into an area within LOS they can area fire blind by using a spotter?
That's what it says. Just like CMx1 mortars with HQs spotting for them except more flexible spotting.

Whether they model min/max elevation is a different matter but as I said, sounds good so far.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is funny the things I say that people listen to compared with the ones that get ignored.....

There are some great solutions used for some CMx1 problems that I was happy to see mentioned in the announcement. One is a description of indirect fire of on map assets. Not just that there are guns that can be used in addition to mortars but, for me, more importantly is how the whole thing is modeled and linked to C2.

In CMx1 I loved using indect fire but often ran into problems with getting the right HQ unit to be the one that was able to call in the fire. Sometimes I would inadvertently move a strong leader too close to the mortar units and he would take over command. So then I'd have to wait for the next turn and make sure I moved him far enough away so that he wouldn't influence the mortar team but still close to the position I had wanted him in to begin with. The new system makes much more sense in that regard and is based on C2 not which HQ unit is closest.

(The announcements didn't get into the actual mechanics so shouldn't either but I feel very comfortable talking about the ideas behind it)

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?97333-CM-N-forum-is-finally-up-and-new-title-announced-Combat-Mission-Battle-for-Normandy&p=1342686&viewfull=1#post1342686

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went with "will buy on release" because of their proven track record.
:headbang:
That's exactly why I won't buy it on release. CMSF was a disaster when it was released. This time I'll take a wait and see attitude.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
Holy Cow! Did you actually buy CMSF on release?
Yup, but I was referring to all the patches/tweaks that come post-launch, like the CMx1 series. In the end, it doesn't matter to me whether I spend $50 now or six months later, makes no difference. Heck I more or less shelved CMSF until 1.10 IIRC.

Not to mention the growing pains of a new engine. Although I wasn't around for the CMBO launch but from what I heard of it, the launch of CMBB and then CMAK got much better.

So to me personally, yes, that is a proven track record. I'm pretty confident the launch of CMBN will be much better than CMSF.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really didn't care about the money, but wasting my time for months on a game that failed to function as it should, and then being told it was my fault for not understanding it. Obviously sticks in my craw a little. If EA or Paradox had done the same thing, we'd be all over them.

Goranothos

Recruit
Reaction score
I would like to say that I will wait on reviews/play the demo before buying, but the truth is I will purchase upon release (and probably preorder). I still have so much good will towards BFC from the CMx1 games that I am willing to take a chance. I never got "burned" by CMSF, because, having little interest in "modern" combat sims, I never purchased it, or even played the demo. Now that they are releasing a shiny new WW2 Combat Mission, there is no way I'm not going to buy it. If it sucks and I get burned, my good will will evaporate and I will not buy any of the inevitable sequels.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I know I posted this elsewhere on this board, but I have a feeling this thread will turn ugly by next year:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94423

Once again proving my point about expectations. I really hope BFC isn't shocked by this.
I doubt they're pleased.

But one would think they would start posting more screenshots and perhaps an AAR to start countering some of the questions and disappointed feedback. Maybe we'll have that to look forward to in the new year.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Do you hear that, Moon? An AAR would be very timely. ;)

Or maybe a comparison of CMBN to CMBO. Or even a compare/contrast of CMBN and CMSF. Something. Start your PR campaign now. I don't think a single sticky thread with an ambiguously-written features list will keep the savages at bay.

Maybe a video of GIs sloshing through a stream would be a start.

junk2drive

Reaction score
There is a danger in giving information before the product is in the final stages. Best they wait until Spring?

Meanwhile the posting is mostly people beating dead horses and silliness. Even after being told that the screenshots are not final people are *****ing about the looks of things.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is some truth to that, but the concerning threads are like the ID one I posted. These are people who never looked at CMSF and didn't know what the fuss was about in 2007. Now they know. They might also be people who played CMSF 1.00 and gave up, assuming all would be made right. Those are the people who seem a little shocked at what has been going on in the interveneing three years. You have some of both in that thread. It seems to have a little of its own momentum now, to the point of piling on.

I do agree with showing too much too soon. But I think it also reflects how far along CMBN really is. Steve has hinted a couple times that there is still a lot of work to do and release is not imminent. But some of the masses don't seem to be listening.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew it was only a matter of time before MikeyD showed up to spread some PR love (no sarcasm intended, really). At least our own little Elvis was his usual reasonable self. Steve really needs to sit the beta testers down and reign a few of them in. They are doing BFC no favors.

Last edited: