Your Game of the Year?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was your best game of ASL this year?

I'm just finishing up mine; AP191 East Wind vs Tom Yetter, via email. First time playing it for us both, and neither one of us screwed it up so badly that it was over by turn 3. Lots going on, lots of mistakes (at least by me), plenty of crazy dice and units that straight-up pissed me off, either with their amazing heroics (his side) or complete ineptitude (my side). Rocket OBA. Ski Troops. T-34s vs 50L ATGs. Extreme Winter. Snow coming and going. SIXTEEN 628s, and you still don't have enough. TWO Commissars. The new board 91. Prisoners being rounded up for Exit VP. Two Old Guys who can barely remember the rules, much less apply them well. Can't ask for better entertainment.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP 92 End of the Beginning v Mike Allexenberg (aka: The Dice Warlock)-the big finale of the To The Bridge AP. My Japanese lost on the final CC of the game after a final, desperate, unlikely rush up the last hill.
A scenario of wild swings and separate swirling battles twirled to a final coordinated Japanese assault that barely ebbed at scenarios' final tinkle of dice.

Hot snipers, five(!!!!!) British heroes/leaders created, two British ACs thwacked by snipers, Japanese Assault Engineers hurling satchel charges with reckless, accurate abandon, British mauling of the deep penetration force headed for that final hill seemingly negating them as a viable force, only to see them gather their resolve (and aim!) to allow the main force to have a stab at the final British holes atop that final, blood hill.

One of my fondest ASL experiences~

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was your best game of ASL this year?

I'm just finishing up mine; AP191 East Wind vs Tom Yetter, via email. First time playing it for us both, and neither one of us screwed it up so badly that it was over by turn 3. Lots going on, lots of mistakes (at least by me), plenty of crazy dice and units that straight-up pissed me off, either with their amazing heroics (his side) or complete ineptitude (my side). Rocket OBA. Ski Troops. T-34s vs 50L ATGs. Extreme Winter. Snow coming and going. SIXTEEN 628s, and you still don't have enough. TWO Commissars. The new board 91. Prisoners being rounded up for Exit VP. Two Old Guys who can barely remember the rules, much less apply them well. Can't ask for better entertainment.
I will second Tom's (Tuomo's) appreciation of this scenario, and that's saying a lot considering I've had just a great game against Toumo Lukkarie and some against my good friend, Jay Elwell earlier this year.

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My best game was S21, CLASH AT BORISOVKA, ten T-34 tanks against two Tigers and four Mark IVF2's
I had recently worked thru Eddie del Rio's Example of Play for S21 which appeared to be set up more as a learning example than optimum strategy.
The T-34's must kill more German tanks than they lose or exit T-34's off of the south edge.
Eddie ran the German tanks almost half-way to the northern edge and the T-34's ran past him and took some almost point-blank shots at the German tanks.
Then my friend wanted to play a scenario from Starter Kit 3 and was willing to take the T-34's in S21.
I brought in my German tanks on the south edge and stopped them (CE for better shots) as soon as I had a good field of fire.
The T-34's must BU (+1 TH drm) in order to fire the MA.
The T-34's attempted to attack the German CE crews with HE but managed to stun only one of the Tiger crews.
One of the T-34's with a malfunctioned MA almost made it off of the south edge but a dr=6 for the MA repair caused it to be recalled.
No German tanks were destroyed, and they were in the same positions at the end of the game as they took during turn 1.
My friend is a better player than me, so I was pleased to get a rare win.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have really enjoyed playtesting this WO pack, with deluxe factory maps designed by Tom Repetti himself. Thing is: the tactics of factory walls---hiding, breaching -- and then being trapped by them-- all feel much more alive with the Deluxe experience.

Easier on the aging eyeballs and flitty neurons, too.

I hope you all have as much fun with these scenarios as I have.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coming to WO '24: the biggest freakin' Factories you ever saw (outside of Stalingrad). Charlie did a beautiful job painting them.

There was a lot of Stuff that maybe could have been added to spice things up - after all, Factories have very little in the way of interior terrain, other than Factory Walls, Sewers, and maybe Vehicular Entrances. But Pete and MMP played it straight, so you won't see any gilding the lily here. Probably for the best; leave the bleeding edge stuff for the NEXT WO Pack ;)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
No games this year.... :(
Do you do VASL? You can find plenty of opponents if you do... I play 1 to 3 times a week via VASL, much the same fun and no cleanup after.

I'm in a crazy playing of MP11 Vulcan's Forge with Steve Johns, halfway through and we've already lost at least half of both OBs as CC has been vicious. I'll post the results this weekend.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The worst game of ASL is always better than the best day at work. Same goes for fishing. ;)
My best game in 2023 was always the next one that I was setting up to play. Always great to have something like this game to look forward to.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Do you do VASL? You can find plenty of opponents if you do... I play 1 to 3 times a week via VASL, much the same fun and no cleanup after.
I don't do VASL. But the lack of games this year has been through choice. I was playing homemade massive CGs and chess too a few years ago. I needed a break.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coming to WO '24: the biggest freakin' Factories you ever saw (outside of Stalingrad). Charlie did a beautiful job painting them.

There was a lot of Stuff that maybe could have been added to spice things up - after all, Factories have very little in the way of interior terrain, other than Factory Walls, Sewers, and maybe Vehicular Entrances. But Pete and MMP played it straight, so you won't see any gilding the lily here. Probably for the best; leave the bleeding edge stuff for the NEXT WO Pack ;)
We put in a little rubble and scattered a few wrecks around inside.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
O22 Stonewalling the Führer was my game of the year, played against Ric of the LBC who is a really fun opponent. My village defense fell apart but one of my M36 Jacksons turned the game around by burning a StuG, breaking a bazooka squad, wrecking a Panther, DMing another squad, then brewing up another StuG before succumbing to a Panzerschrek. In the last turn's CC for control of a building for the win, Ric's 9-1 leader with 4-6-7 needed a "5" but rolled a "6" for a close finish to a game with many twists and turns and fun thoughtful moments.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States

I'm in a crazy playing of MP11 Vulcan's Forge with Steve Johns, halfway through and we've already lost at least half of both OBs as CC has been vicious. I'll post the results this weekend.
Finished Vulcan's forge yesterday and lost as the German, both sides were really beat up but the back breaker for me was when I drove the Stug into the Bread Factory behind a Wall, looking to get a good shot with APCR on his KV1. Well as soon as I stopped he shot and got 🎲🎲, burning the Stug and I also lost 3 of 4 CCs to seal my doom. Great scenario, I was in good shape halfway through but the damn dice (precision dice in a ftf vs Steve Johns) turned against me, such are the fortunes of war, especially in Stalingrad! Great scenario, I'll look for a better playing of it down the line.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I don't do VASL. But the lack of games this year has been through choice. I was playing homemade massive CGs and chess too a few years ago. I needed a break.
Ben, see above.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think a SASL update/reprint should be higher on the priority list.
There is a hidden underground of cardboard pushers and VASSAL clickers who go at their own pace and will explore SASL if it was available.
I wish I knew how to monetize this market effectively with online products too but hard-copy SASL is a good start.