Your favourite sentence in ASLRB?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So, horses in ASL are actually a breed of Schrödinger cat: they are simultaneously a thing and not a thing.
No. Horses are horses. Once they are utilized by Infantry, they become Cavalry. Horses are not units, cavalry are. There's nothing ambiguous or "simultaneous" about it. The Schrödinger's cat exercise requires the viewer to be unaware of the cat's status. The rules specifically state the horse's status at all times.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL has the concept of COWTRA: Concentrate On What The Rules Allow. During early ASL playtesting, an opponent of 'Fish' Conner's did something not allowed in the rules and said nearly the same thing "the rules don't say I can't do this". In his next turn, Fish started using his Panther's as air craft, much to the consternation of his opponent. Soon there after, COWTRA was born. -- jim
The story Fish told me was that after hearing that from his opponent he picked up one of the two boards and rotated it 180 degrees and said, “It also doesn’t say I can’t do this...”.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Definitely would be one with at least 100 words and containing two or three embedded hierarchical parenthetical statements, such as:
8.26 EFFECT OF DRM: The amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM caused solely by conditions outside (including CX, BU, Stun, leadership modifier, or hex- side/bridge TEM of the target Location which modified (or could have modified; B931) the To-Hit/IFT DR, but excluding Height Advantage and LV DRM (E3.1)) the target hex (e.g., a 6 Residual FP counter is flipped over to the 4 FP side for a +1 DRM or changed to a 2 Residual FP counter for a +2 DRM [EXC: Fire Lane; 9.22]). Negative DRM (such as those for leadership, FFMO/FFNAM, and Bore Sighting) never affect the amount of Residual FP left in a hex [EXC: Air Bursts increase the amount of Residual FP left by one IFT column].

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite are whatever sentences contain the Rate of Fire and Defensive First Fire rules.

Before those two rules I wasn’t much into old Squad Leader. These two rules changed ASL into a highly unpredictable and interactive experience where you could not leave the board (Igo-Ugo) while you’re opponent was taking his turn.

“STOP! I have a -2 TEM on that stack right there.” was either dreaded or music to your ears depending on what side of the board you were on. And, “Don’t stack.” was now always at the top of the list of every ASL Tips & Tricks article.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Definitely would be one with at least 100 words and containing two or three embedded hierarchical parenthetical statements, such as:
8.26 EFFECT OF DRM: The amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM caused solely by conditions outside (including CX, BU, Stun, leadership modifier, or hex- side/bridge TEM of the target Location which modified (or could have modified; B931) the To-Hit/IFT DR, but excluding Height Advantage and LV DRM (E3.1)) the target hex (e.g., a 6 Residual FP counter is flipped over to the 4 FP side for a +1 DRM or changed to a 2 Residual FP counter for a +2 DRM [EXC: Fire Lane; 9.22]). Negative DRM (such as those for leadership, FFMO/FFNAM, and Bore Sighting) never affect the amount of Residual FP left in a hex [EXC: Air Bursts increase the amount of Residual FP left by one IFT column].
You could probably do the majority of the rules in Excel spreadsheet form and make far more sense. The number of player aids people have come up with over the years is testament to that sentiment.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The story Fish told me was that after hearing that from his opponent he picked up one of the two boards and rotated it 180 degrees and said, “It also doesn’t say I can’t do this...”.
I am sure there are many Fish stories. He is one player I never got a chance to play and wish I had. Sadly, I never will. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You don't know ASL, have grabbed the ASLRB solely for that strange, eye-catching orange color, leaf through it, read the above and think: "Hey, that seems to be a cool game!"

I reckon, you've just passed the ultimate nerd test... ?

Well, almost. Maybe you have written a paper about 'Non-holonomic constraints and their impact on discretizations of Klein-Gordon lattice dynamical models'.

Such discretizations are useful in exactly preserving a discrete analogue of the momentum. Just in case you didn't know...

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I only know him from stories. That said, how did he come to his nickname 'Fish'?

von Marwitz
I don't know the story for sure, but it had something to do with a store visit and a fish. I did not know Fish well. He had more or less left the hobby by the time I got to meet him. He would attend ASLOk to chat, play guitar, and catch up with folks but he didn't play ASL. His last ASL game was with his best friend "Action" Burke. They played Guards Counter Attack. Fish set it up from memory. -- jim

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Technically - IIRC - "Cavalry" in ASL is Personnel units Riding horses - not the horses.
Uh-huh. What has that got to do with the Index saying that horses are not units while the rule says that horses are units?

Technically that's called a screw-up, although that term may not be in the rule book.

Edited by moderator to remove profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Ah. My mistake, again. My apologies. I didn't see the post where Dorosh displayed his ignorance of ASL (again).

The trouble with ignoring the idiots is that you tend to forget that other people inexplicably still pay attention to them.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ah. My mistake, again. My apologies. I didn't see the post where Dorosh displayed his ignorance of ASL (again).

The trouble with ignoring the idiots is that you tend to forget that other people inexplicably still pay attention to them.
Actually, Bruce, I was responding to your ignorance of what Schrödinger's Cat is. I might recommend rewatching that episode, but paying less attention to Penny's tank top, and more attention to Sheldon's explanation....

cschneider3

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not know. My post was not in response to any thing in the Index.
Uh-huh. What has that got to do with the Index saying that horses are not units while the rule says that horses are units?

Technically that's called a fuck-up, although that term may not be in the rule book.
A horse is a horse, of course of course......

(My apologies to any Aussies or Germans who don't get the Mr Ed reference)