Your Favourite Movie

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's a close call, but I would probably have to rank Blade Runner as #1. Alien would have to be #2.

Others near the top of my list would be:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Das Boot
Nosferatu (1979)
Once Upon a Time in the West
Lord of the Rings
The Thing
Planet of the Apes
Master and Commander
The Shawshank Redemption

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's a close call, but I would probably have to rank Blade Runner as #1. Alien would have to be #2.
Ah, but which version? Blade Runner Classic? The directors cut? The directors recut without the voiceover? The DVD special directors cut with 18 seconds of added footage? Damned good movie though, even in its worst incarnation.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Ah, but which version? Blade Runner Classic? The directors cut? The directors recut without the voiceover? The DVD special directors cut with 18 seconds of added footage? Damned good movie though, even in its worst incarnation.
I like them all, especially the remastered Blu-ray directors cut. BUT, I must be the only guy who actually prefers the versions that include the voiceover. For some reason, I just feel that it adds something human to the film, even though I'm aware that Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford were both against it.

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
Blade Runner is ..probably my 2nd favorite movie of alltime ... I adore the 'classic' version... maybe I'm just odd.. perhaps it was just seeing a thousand times before the directors cut was released haha. I had no problem with the voiceover... and have seen enough 'happy endings' in movies that one more didn't spoil what was an visually stunning ..and thought provoking masterpiece of a movie.

micky

Reaction score

Others near the top of my list would be:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Das Boot
Nosferatu (1979)
Once Upon a Time in the West that gets you a HELL YEAH hahaha
Lord of the Rings
The Thing
Planet of the Apes
Master and Commander
The Shawshank Redemption
great choices Don... many there in what would a top 10 list of mine...

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AAAAHHHH!!!! Now I remember Kagemusha! That was a great ending! Totally forgot I saw that movie.

And I've heard of Stalker a few times. You mind going into more detail Morbii??
kawaiku,

Stalker is Andrei Tarkovsky's vision of the book "Roadside Picnic". From what I understand, it probably deviates from the book a bit (or even a lot). There was also a video game based on the book called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that some people have talked about on this very forum. However, if you play that game, I would strongly suggest holding back from even considering the two might be similar (from what I know about the game, they are probably worlds apart - the only thing in common might be the setting).

Tarkovsky was a philospher and Russian Orthodox Christian. He had a lot of interesting things to say about film in general (he has a book that I've read - interesting and there are passages that can blow one away). Given some of what I've just said, the film itself is DEFINITELY a thinking man's film. I personally find it to be about belief on the whole, but there is probably MUCH more to it than that.

Tarkovsky also felt (and this is sort of a paraphrase and what I recall from what I've read) that a great film will live in a genre but show no "signs" of that genre. Stalker is that film (I remember reading that he thought Solaris [another great film] had failed because it was a sci-fi film that had several elements of sci-fi). Stalker is a sci-fi film, but you won't really find anything in the film that has elements of sci-fi, except maybe the story/dialogue itself (e.g. there aren't laser blasters, high tech, etc).

You can probably do a lot better than read what I'm saying - I'd bet a google search will probably yield far more encouraging words for the film.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like them all, especially the remastered Blu-ray directors cut. BUT, I must be the only guy who actually prefers the versions that include the voiceover. For some reason, I just feel that it adds something human to the film, even though I'm aware that Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford were both against it.
You aren't the only one - I had a friend in my past (haven't seen/talked to him in years) that swore by the one with the voice-over.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah! Thanks for the feedback on the movie Morbii. I heard it's quite the intelligent film and that it's also way more off the radar. And yes I've actually played the game and only know that the setting and name are the same. And I won't do a google search because I don't want to spoil it for me.

Ah! And I forgot a few other films as well,
The Proposition
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Alien(1&2)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I completely forgot about this movie! A real classic in my opinion in regards to monster movies!

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Make that two of us...I much prefer the voiceover version. Your list has many of my top tens as well.

Casablanca....everything about this movie is classic....and Ingrid Bergman is still the most beautiful woman who has ever lived.

The Searchers, mentioned earlier is way up on the list as well.
Omega Man
The Yakuza
Til the end of Time
Forbidden Planet
A Bridge Too Far
Kelly's Heroes
Animal House
Cross of Iron

micky

Reaction score
Make that two of us...I much prefer the voiceover version. Your list has many of my top tens as well.

Casablanca....everything about this movie is classic....and Ingrid Bergman is still the most beautiful woman who has ever lived.

The Searchers, mentioned earlier is way up on the list as well.
Omega Man
The Yakuza
Til the end of Time
Forbidden Planet
A Bridge Too Far
Kelly's Heroes
Animal House
Cross of Iron
or 3 of us... guess my posts don't get read around here hahah.

another great one that hasn't been on anyone's list.. but might be if reminded..

[video=youtube;KJMxGFco57Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMxGFco57Y[/video]

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
or 3 of us... guess my posts don't get read around here hahah.

another great one that hasn't been on anyone's list.. but might be if reminded..

[video=youtube;KJMxGFco57Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMxGFco57Y[/video]
Wild Bunch! Excellent choice!
I managed to get a good essay in university out of The Wild Bunch and Seven Samurai. The big point I remember getting to is how both are end-of-an-era films; (SPOILER) - none of the samurai are killed by swords, and none of the Wild Bunch are killed by revolvers.

And I'll join the parade of guys who like the voiceover in Blade Runner. Will you all join in condemning Ridley Scott's recent comments that Deckard was a replicant?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Omega Man
The Yakuza
Til the end of Time
Forbidden Planet
A Bridge Too Far
Kelly's Heroes
Animal House
Cross of Iron
There's some good ones on that list, to be sure. BTW, if you liked Ken Takakura in The Yakuza, be sure to check out Black Rain as well. He's really good in that.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of all the 'epic' films, does anyone remember Ran. It's a little strange at times, but it has some really outstanding battle scenes and an eye for detail. Also, has anyone here seen Red Cliff? I'm thinking of getting that one.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Speaking of all the 'epic' films, does anyone remember Ran. It's a little strange at times, but it has some really outstanding battle scenes and an eye for detail. Also, has anyone here seen Red Cliff? I'm thinking of getting that one.
Ran is too unremittingly painful to make my favourite film, but it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on screen. The should show it on a continuous loop in the Louvre.

micky

Reaction score
Wild Bunch! Excellent choice!
I managed to get a good essay in university out of The Wild Bunch and Seven Samurai. The big point I remember getting to is how both are end-of-an-era films; (SPOILER) - none of the samurai are killed by swords, and none of the Wild Bunch are killed by revolvers.

And I'll join the parade of guys who like the voiceover in Blade Runner. Will you all join in condemning Ridley Scott's recent comments that Deckard was a replicant?
hope you got an A on that paper hahha. Great point.. and probably fully intended to make the point of the 'end of an era'.

as far as being Deckard being a replicant... ********.. what does Scott know. He needs to watch the film :laugh:

Mr. Wonderful

Recruit
Reaction score
I hate to admit my favorite movie was directed by a child molester: 1971's "Chinatown"

Although I would bet that John Huston actually did most of the heavy lifting.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Little bit of trivia for the Ran/Kagemusha lovers out there: Kurosawa was either completely or almost completely blind when he directed Ran (!!!) and halfway when he directed Kagemusha. What a master of his craft!!!

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Westside Story
Almost any Eastwood Western I can watch multiple times.
All Star Trek movies are must see, but once I have limited desire to see them again.
Holy Grail (Monty Python)
Stand and Deliver
It's a Wonderful Life
Alot of Robin Williams movies- I like-Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets, Fisher King, Good morning Vietnam (I don't remember much of, but I think I liked)--guess these don't qualify as favorite, just a general, I will likely enjoy.....
Mike

micky

Reaction score
Fisher King

what a wonderful.. wonderfully eccentric love story. Funny.. that was on the other night and stayed up well past my bedtime to watch it. Hadn't seen it in years. Great movie.