Black & Whites - Stalag 17 / The Best Year's of our Lives / Paths of Glory

Chick flick - Scent of a Woman

Comedy - Blazing Saddles

Other - Ben Hur / It's a Wonderful Life

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Best Year's of our Lives
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) is probably my second favorite American film, and my third favorite overall. It's definitely the best potrayal of veterans' problems adapting to civilian life ever made. Whoever wrote the scene with Dana Andrews in the B-17 graveyard seems to understand PTSD much better than most contemporary psychologists and psychiatrists. I tear up just thinking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_Years_of_Our_Lives

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm...
Zulu, Battle of Britain, Gettysburg, A Bridge Too Far, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Seven Samurai, Pork Chop Hill, The Thin Red Line, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Aladdin, and a few others whose names I forgot.

Reaction score
Hmmm...
Zulu, Battle of Britain, Gettysburg, A Bridge Too Far, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Seven Samurai, Pork Chop Hill, The Thin Red Line, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Aladdin, and a few others whose names I forgot.
You guys keep bring up movies that make me revisit my "list!"

The Seven Samurai is definitely my second favorite foreign film. Yojimbo and Sanjuro are way up there, as well.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's hard for me to say what my favorite is, but here are some films that I regard as being incredible:

Stalker
Yojimbo
Kagemusha
Through A Glass Darkly
Ordet
Sword of Doom
The Last Wave
Kairo
Profondo Rosso
Suspiria
Tenebre

A few of them fall into that new black & white genre that I'd never heard of, I guess ;)

Reaction score
It's hard for me to say what my favorite is, but here are some films that I regard as being incredible:

Stalker
Yojimbo
Kagemusha
Through A Glass Darkly
Ordet
Sword of Doom
The Last Wave
Kairo
Profondo Rosso
Suspiria
Tenebre

A few of them fall into that new black & white genre that I'd never heard of, I guess ;)
I haven't heard of a couple of those. I think I may check them out...

I was never a huge fan of Kagemusha until the full version with commentary was released a few years ago. I saw it in my teens, and I failed to follow the plot at times...

Reaction score
Haha happens to us all. And yeah Seven Samurai is a classic film foreign or not.
I have a hidden agenda for distinguishing between "foreign" and American films: It lets me make twice as many picks!

Also, a lot of people won't watch films with subtitles. Their loss, of course.

The Seven Samurai may be a perfect movie: plenty of theme, great performances, excellent story, and dramatic action. The Criterion Collection DVD with commentary is one of the few commentary tracks out there that is worth listening to multiple times.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont know about you guys but I think Titanic is badass. Best movie of all time in my book.. no homo.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can remeber being persuaded to go see Ran in the cinema by a friend. I thought initially 3 hours of Japanese shakespear with subtitles? No thanks. But he pointed out it was wet and the tickets were only a pound so why not? About ten
inutes in you forget that you are Reading and get swept away. A truly great movie but not my favourite.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't heard of a couple of those. I think I may check them out...

I was never a huge fan of Kagemusha until the full version with commentary was released a few years ago. I saw it in my teens, and I failed to follow the plot at times...
Just FYI, the last four are horror films. The first a modern horror film from Japan and the last 3 Italian horror films from the 70's and early 80's. If you're not into horror, my suggestion would be to skip the last 3 for sure. Argento (the director) has an amazing visual style, but his films can be very brutal (and as they are Italian, it's very hard to find them not dubbed - sometimes the dubbing leaves a bit to be desired).

The ending of Kagemusha simply blew me away. When the fake king was the last man standing, the "mountain". WOW.

Another I forgot to add onto that list (and it's one of my favorite Kurosawa's also) is Red Beard. I also enjoyed Ran and Seven Samurai (and several others that I've seen).

Stalker is the greatest film ever made in my mind, but it's not for everyone.

Through A Glass darkly is my favorite Bergman that I've seen.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AAAAHHHH!!!! Now I remember Kagemusha! That was a great ending! Totally forgot I saw that movie.

And I've heard of Stalker a few times. You mind going into more detail Morbii??