Your favorite scenario to play solo?

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

During the pandemic solo play obviously increases quite a bit.

I was wondering what are some of your favorite scenarios that you like to play solo?

Some of the old "classics" are may favorites;

Dead of Winter & Burn Gurkha Burn to name a few.

What is on your list?

Thanks and stay safe
Joe

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Great question. Will have to think about it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hmmmm ... I have to admit my favourite solo scenario has nothing to do with ASL.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I would also agree that SASL is the best solo scenarios but I don't mind a regular scenario now and again.

Depends on the date and theatre but early war I would go with:

Italian Brothers (37), Action at Balberkamp (Nor. 40), Slamming of the Door (Bar. 41),

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Really enjoyed playing Destroy All Monsters solo.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't understand why one has to play solo (non-Solitaire ASL) when there are sooo many terrific opponents all over the world? Check out VASL.info. A lot of annual tournaments went on VASL this year. Heck, even Mr Youse is running a COVID19 VASL tournament!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't understand why one has to play solo (non-Solitaire ASL) when there are sooo many terrific opponents all over the world? Check out VASL.info. A lot of annual tournaments went on VASL this year. Heck, even Mr Youse is running a COVID19 VASL tournament!
There were times when there weren't and VASL was not yet running or not appealing. I played around 100 scenarios (all non SASL) solitaire over many years. This is basically, how I learned ASL. It was a PITA with the rules. Still fun, though. But since 2010 with re-discovering VASL then much improved I have never looked back.

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am currently enjoying a SASL HASL CG, I am on mission 4 of the massive Infantrie-Division SASL CG [May 1040 - May 1945] created by Ahriman667.

I am really enjoying relearning the system this way and watching my company and personal leader progress through the CG.

I can play at my own pace and so far I have relearned quite a bit of the system using SASL.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
A couple of scenarios I've solo'd recently and enjoyed -- AP142 The Closer, HF2 Bertoldo the Brave, and SP125 Nunshigum -- but I've had fun with many over the years.

Soloing obviously isn't for everyone but for introverts such as myself with oversized imaginations it can be fun. FtF is, of course more fun, but solo play is relaxed. you can take your time with it, and experiment with things. With soloing I can get into it in a way that I don't with an opponent in terms of imagining the setting and the actions and living it in my head. So when you cart me off to the padded room, just let me have my ASL kit and I'll be fine.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

During the pandemic solo play obviously increases quite a bit.

I was wondering what are some of your favorite scenarios that you like to play solo?

Some of the old "classics" are may favorites;

Dead of Winter & Burn Gurkha Burn to name a few.

What is on your list?

Thanks and stay safe
Joe
I look forward to FINALLY playing you via VASL Joe until we get the physical clubs going again later this year or in 2021 at the very latest.

I sure hope to see you for real at some point this year but let's get together on VASL, I played Paul Anderson on Monday and Tom as usual on Wednesday so I can certainly find time for you on any day you want to play.

I talked to Tom and about re-opening to at least start a conversation on when we might think about opening the club locations down the line, as long as virus cases are still declining in southern New England and we do it as safely as possible, maybe later this Summer or in the Fall if everything looks OK, if not, VASL is a very good option. Worst case we wait for a vaccine and/or herd immunity and 2021. :(

So back to your question, I mainly playtest or do VASL for quite some time now but how about 3rd RTR In the Rain ? Dead of Winter as mentioned above is also a classic and can be easily played in one sitting. I'd play any of those Gurkha scenarios for sure (Hi Keith!).

Have FUN! Get VASL up, I'll play you when do, :) Vic.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I look forward to FINALLY playing you via VASL Joe until we get the physical clubs going again later this year or in 2021 at the very latest.

I sure hope to see you for real at some point this year but let's get together on VASL, I played Paul Anderson on Monday and Tom as usual on Wednesday so I can certainly find time for you on any day you want to play.

I talked to Tom and about re-opening to at least start a conversation on when we might think about opening the club locations down the line, as long as virus cases are still declining in southern New England and we do it as safely as possible, maybe later this Summer or in the Fall if everything looks OK, if not, VASL is a very good option. Worst case we wait for a vaccine and/or herd immunity and 2021. :(

So back to your question, I mainly playtest or do VASL for quite some time now but how about 3rd RTR In the Rain ? Dead of Winter as mentioned above is also a classic and can be easily played in one sitting. I'd play any of those Gurkha scenarios for sure (Hi Keith!).

Have FUN! Get VASL up, I'll play you when do, :) Vic.
Vic

Sounds good!! Better days ahead for sure!!

Thanks
Joe

Glen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lots of times I don't have the energy available to play a scenario in one sitting (or even two). It is helpful to me to be able to start and stop as needed, sometimes after only playing a few phases, or in the case of HASL's, sometimes only one.

I like playing other people, but I played in a 5 round VASL tournament last month and it exhausted me. There was one round where I basically gave up after turn 3, and sent every available unit charging (across open ground!)into the enemy position in turn 4. The results were what you would expect. Mind you, things weren't going well before that; I don't seem to have mastered attacking very well.

I do miss the surprise of HIP guns/units (or, better yet, being able to surprise my opponents).

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
how about 3rd RTR In the Rain ?
How would you play the British AFV if you know where the German HIP AT gun is?

Really do not see how that would work for this scenario!

If I had to play something Solo, I think Guards Counterattack would be best. Can play with Brain Switched Off.