Your favorite moment in wargaming...

VW

Reaction score
Who has a story to tell about their fav moment in wargaming? Mine was probably in CMBO when my last panzer held off an attack by 3 shermans and killed them all. That was a tense couple of turns.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mine was a game of 1/300 microtanks - my opponent had "secretly" purchased and painted three F111 fighterbombers, so when we set up our game I was wondering why he didn't have many units on the table (We used a points system to determine forces). About halfway into the game he "suprised" me by launching this flight of F111's at my T62's - my T62 were supported by a couple of ZSU23's, several lucky dice rolls later all three F111's were smoking wrecks on the battlefield. My friend went home that night with a severe strop on :nuts:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
LoL... your poor friend :) .... You sure his F111 did not fall due to the failure of the swing-wing? :freak:

For me, no specific moments of such joys though --- since all of my enemies --- hehe, dare they face me! :dead: ---- would sooner or later fall into one of those deadly traps I set up :p

:devil:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
some people reading this would say it was stupidly natonalistic, but I played Battle of France against Rasmus as French and I finaly win.
I was an intense pleasure to find that French army was not so crap just good enough to hold the line, then crack and surrender :D

To send French divisions & tanks regiments inside the third reich was great fun :devil: and jubilation :rifle:

Der WanderGeneralEnChef:nofear:

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I've had a couple of very intense moments during Combat Mission TCP/IP, but I would have to say mine was an incident about ten years ago during an Advanced Squad Leader Streets of Fire game. I was playing a friend of mine from the old US Army 7th Infantry Division; he had the Russians and I had the Germans. I had managed to take most of the rubbled buildings, but I was just flailing away against his stronghold in a factory complex. Time was rapidly slipping away so I went for broke and sent everything I had after him. This one went down like a wargaming highlight film. He created two heroes against me in those final moments and despite an assault that included driving my last remaining panzer directly into the factory rubble - his defense held by a single die roll.

Even though it was a long time ago and I've long since lost contact with all my old gaming opponents, I've never forgotten that battle.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am playing as the British fighting the Japansese in 41 Malaya.

Somehow (I still can't figure out how) I managed to surround and wipe out his forces and win. The game's victory conditions were based on how well the Bristish managed their loss though actually.

Nato Next war in Europe. Suicide attack with all my special forces type units on his HQ counters. Poof no command units hence not eligible to claim victory points with anything but the Czechs I was unable to get.
Basically I ruined his ability to win. Very funny.

Priest

Reaction score
My favorite moment came during an SL game when 1 lone German sergeant armed with 1 lmg sitting on an open hill held off the entire Russian force. I won that game because the Russians just couldn't kill him.

Last edited:

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not really a grognard's wargame but I remember wiping out a sizeable chunk of my friend's armoured force in the Sega Saturn WW2 strategy game Iron Storm.

I had setup a flak 88 battery to guard the eastern end of a bridge near my headquarters. My friend wasn't yet familiar with the 88's reputation as a tank killer and thinking that taking on a flak gun would be a walkover he began amassing almost all his tanks (around 8 companies if I remember correctly) in at the western end of the bridge preparation for an attack.

When my turn came on I placed a company of PzIII and PzIV tanks on the hex just slightly behind the 88's and near my headquarters just to maintain the illusion that I was concerned that he would try to cross the bridge and attack my HQ.

When his turn came on he attacked through the bridge only to have his tank company wiped out. Thinking this was a fluke he sent another armoured company and that too was wiped out. He kept attacking until 5 to 6 tank companies were nothing more than burning hulks. The look astonishment on his face as his tanks were blowing one after another up was priceless.

He finally clicked on the icon for my flak 88's to see it's stats and was astonished by its anti-tank stats. I then explained to him that the flak 88 was one of the most fearsome tank killers of the second world war.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There have been a million great moments I'm sure. One of the classics had to be playing SPI's old game 'Operation Typhoon'. On the last turn of the game the line was stalemated up and down. There waas only one objective city that could possibly change hands. Victory for one side or the other came down to a final attack that had exactly a 50% chance of succeeding. I don't even remember who actually won. I just remember that 50/50 chance. Or it might have been the Panzer Blitz game (with modified Panzer Leader rules) that didn't end until there were too few units for each side that they couldn't even get a 2-1 attack. Or it might have been playing as Yang against JoeBob's Zhakharov in multiplayer Alpha Centauri, one of the all time fear inducing games ever. Or.....

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Here is a different question: how were you introduced to wargaming?

Back in the early '80s I had been playing the original Dungeons & Dragons for a while. My family moved down to Panama City Florida for a short while and I was wandering through one of the shopping malls there when I discovered a store that had all kinds of games. I managed to convince my mother to buy me a copy of Panzer Leader from Avalon Hill. I played that for several years (boy it seemed complicated at the time). It was a perfect game to introduce a newcomer to the world of wargaming; simple yet elegent. I think PL bears a striking resemblence to the Campaign Series in many ways and perhaps that's why I like that system so much.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don Maddox said:
Here is a different question: how were you introduced to wargaming?

Back in the early '80s I had been playing the original Dungeons & Dragons for a while. My family moved down to Panama City Florida for a short while and I was wandering through one of the shopping malls there when I discovered a store that had all kinds of games. I managed to convince my mother to buy me a copy of Panzer Leader from Avalon Hill. I played that for several years (boy it seemed complicated at the time). It was a perfect game to introduce a newcomer to the world of wargaming; simple yet elegent. I think PL bears a striking resemblence to the Campaign Series in many ways and perhaps that's why I like that system so much.
Cool!

Panzer Leader was also my intro to wargaming.

I bought it when I was in my late teens, but I never really found any opponents to play against. Thank God for computers. :D

Priest

Reaction score
I'm an old guy so my introduction to wargaming came from the old Salingrad and Afrika Korps in high school around '71.

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
the first time i got a panther in the cmbo demo, i placed it on top of the hill blasting shermans, all im doing is pressing End Turn for 5minutes. then seeing my infantry in the village is about to be overun by the americans i charge it forward and it contiues its business.

however in the end it caught a zook in back.

Introduced??
i guess in 98 when i was 12 when i bought panzer general 2 and did play several demo's tacops, the ardennes offensive 2 and a couple of others.
then i bought half-life and didnt touch anything else besides shooter for 2.5years, then i found underdogs discovered wargames, went to matrixgames, started playing war in russia, pacific war and spwaw pbem.
It Took off!!
then when cmbo was released by cdv [the waffengrenadier version] i bought, i was trying to get the game for 1.5years in total and i Had it!!
however my heart lay with a bigger scale of combat and i ended up with toaw2 and im still trying to figure out how to get a acow now.

Fishkoff

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boy, is this going to age me! It was about 1959 or 1960 and I found a game called "Gettysburg" by Avalon Hill. I took it home and solitaired it for about a year. I then found another game by Avalon Hill "Tacitcs (one or two?)" about a year later. It When from there.

The most fun I ever had was in the early 1980's I was part of a play by mail game of "Fire in the East" by GDW. It was game-mastered by the editor of "Fire and Movement" magazine. We had about five opponents per side; and, the game included "fog of war" and unique weather effects rules. I played the commander for AGN. The Axis won as the Soviet side did not communicate or coordinate their turns very well.

:love: